Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 55 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #541 of 856 Old 02-03-15, 09:14 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
I've been using Plex for a couple years and am very pleased with it. Probably the best freeware I've ever used.

We use a Roku, Fire TV, Chromecast and some mobile devices for playback. It's really great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 856 Old 02-24-15, 10:38 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Hey Ron, I was just looking back through the thread, and your pics made me wonder about your screen size / viewing distance. It's hard to tell in the pics, and after a quick search I didn't see it mentioned. I think the screen is 195" in wide format. How far away is that first row? Does it ever feel too close? My eventual room will require a front row that will be very... let's call it "cinematic" in order to get 2 rows in, and I just wanted to get your thoughts on your setup.

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #543 of 856 Old 02-24-15, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
Hey Ron, I was just looking back through the thread, and your pics made me wonder about your screen size / viewing distance. It's hard to tell in the pics, and after a quick search I didn't see it mentioned. I think the screen is 195" in wide format. How far away is that first row? Does it ever feel too close? My eventual room will require a front row that will be very... let's call it "cinematic" in order to get 2 rows in, and I just wanted to get your thoughts on your setup.
Hi Owen, The screen is a 195" diagonal scope screen, and the front row is 12' with the 2nd row is about 16' from the screen. Normally when we go to a theater we sit in the middle of the theater, and our seating works well with our distances, as a matter of fact most of our friends prefer the front row for watching movies. I get zero eyestrain with this setup. When we had the BenQ w1700 with a 134" screen and sat 12' from the screen we had eyestrain... I think the reason for less eyestrain is that the screen is not as bright as the BenQ was on a 134" screen. Our BenQ measured 21fl in eco mode... Our current setup is less, but I have not measured it. The picture is fine, but down the road when I upgrade I will look for a projector with 3-4k in lumens to see if we can get it to above 16fl. I do not know if we will then get eyestrain again or not though.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.

post #544 of 856 Old 02-24-15, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Last night I re-watched Fifth Element (BR), and the audio was far different from what I recall when I watched it on DVD. This time I could very distinctively hear everything from the voices, background sounds to the music. It was like in the past the quiet area were quiet but now it is like their is a black hole of sound. At the end of the movie when they are in the canister... I was able to hear the part of the background music that sounded like bells being played (not sure how to describe the sound), I could hear each individual note floating in the background on top of my stage with the rest of the vocals and music at their proper locations. In the past the background music blended in with everything else nothing special at all.

Call me crazy, but that is what I heard last night, and my friends have all commented about this (Black hole type of sound) too. It is what makes my setup sound so awesome IMO.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #545 of 856 Old 02-24-15, 02:55 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Sounds like these are only sounding better and better now. You will finally be able to hear what the sound engineer intended. What you describe sounds awesome.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #546 of 856 Old 02-24-15, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Sounds like these are only sounding better and better now. You will finally be able to hear what the sound engineer intended. What you describe sounds awesome.
I still have some more fabric panels (no Roxul in them) to make... I hope it doesn't effect the sound, and reverse some of my progress on the room sound.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #547 of 856 Old 02-24-15, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

A friend in another forum suggested i try out the Roger Waters CD (Amused to death) which was recorded in Q Sound. I just got it ripped to the HDD, and sat down in the 2nd row to listen to it......................................................................... ..

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I could hear a bobcat to my right with dogs barking in my driveway (about 20' in front of me), people talking about 2' in front and to my left about 8' away. I have never heard anything like this coming from 2 channels. I had to stop listening after the first song to gather my thoughts!

I highly suggest anyone who likes Pink Floyd music to give this a listen.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #548 of 856 Old 02-24-15, 08:38 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Awesome! Great impressions. I'm going to find it now.
post #549 of 856 Old 02-24-15, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

The above comments were in my 2nd row too.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #550 of 856 Old 02-24-15, 11:03 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Curios how the Koi pond is progressing?

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.