Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #51 of 856 Old 02-02-14, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
The reason some folks use MDF on the layer closest to the studs is to provide a mounting surface anywhere in the room. Drywall on the facing layer for the smoothest, best looking, easiest to paint layer showing.
Would MDF work better than drywall for acoustics?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 856 Old 02-02-14, 09:26 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

It's just for isolation, not to do with in-room acoustics. All a matter of mass in terms of isolation.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #53 of 856 Old 02-02-14, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
It's just for isolation, not to do with in-room acoustics. All a matter of mass in terms of isolation.
So would MDF be better than drywall in terms of isolation and mass?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #54 of 856 Old 02-02-14, 11:16 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Realistically about the same though MDF will be more expensive and not flex as much as drywall. Trading motion eating pressure vs rigidity. Drywall will be more predictable.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #55 of 856 Old 02-02-14, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Realistically about the same though MDF will be more expensive and not flex as much as drywall. Trading motion eating pressure vs rigidity. Drywall will be more predictable.
OSB is not as good as drywall either, correct?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #56 of 856 Old 02-02-14, 02:08 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Nope. Not as much mass.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #57 of 856 Old 02-02-14, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Nope. Not as much mass.
So if a person is going to hang acoustic panels they should do one layer of OSB and follow up with one or two layers of drywall, correct? If you forgo the OSB would screw in anchors work for hanging acoustic panels or does that defeat the purpose of using clips?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #58 of 856 Old 02-02-14, 02:24 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Panels can hang just on the drywall with the right anchor. OOKS hooks work great. No need to find a stud even. VERY small nail hole - much smaller than the auger type drywall anchors.

OSB/MDF are used for things like when you don't know where the surrounds would be, if you need to hang shelves, etc. But if you know in advance, you can also just use cross braces between studs in the proper locations and use all drywall.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #59 of 856 Old 02-02-14, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Panels can hang just on the drywall with the right anchor. OOKS hooks work great. No need to find a stud even. VERY small nail hole - much smaller than the auger type drywall anchors.

OSB/MDF are used for things like when you don't know where the surrounds would be, if you need to hang shelves, etc. But if you know in advance, you can also just use cross braces between studs in the proper locations and use all drywall.
Gotcha, thanks.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #60 of 856 Old 02-09-14, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Well we should have the garage ready to start construction on in a week or two...

This is what the plan is so far.
1:Cut out the door opening and install a solid core door from the garage to the house.
2:Build the hallway wall (not sure if this should be done before or after ceiling and raised floor)
3: Open up the ceiling and walls to re do the sound insulation

The next step I am not sure of... Should the floor or ceiling be built next?

For the ceiling we will be doing the 1/4" foam board, GG, drywall, insulation,GG all of this between the beams and then... Drywall, GG, Drywall

For the floor we are planning on moisture barrier 2x4 with 3/4" OSB (insulation in the sub floor if it will fit).

I figure the drywall on the walls will be after we have demo'd the speakers in the room.

How does this sound? Is this the correct order to do this? Suggestions? Do we do the electrical wiring before we do the 1/4" foam in between the ceiling joists or after? I am thinking it would go in the fiberglass insulation layer but I am not sure.

Is anyone familiar with these Genie Clips? Are they any good?

Ron

My Home Theater