Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 64 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #631 of 856 Old 08-06-15, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Well I have given up on the balanced version of the MiniDSP 2x4, and it is being returned. I am not going to go into what happened other than to say with 112db horns it is not usable (too much background hiss). The only problem with the MiniDSP balanced is the hiss, and since it is background level hiss it doesn't go up with the volume. I would say that anyone that has speakers that are around 90db efficiency will most likely not have a problem. For me I only have a 100 wpch amp and it would be a shame to have it pushing the amp just to get it up to reference level (since the level would have to be attenuated by at least 15db, maybe more) when it should only take way less than 1 watt to hit reference levels. I just ordered a Xilica XP-4080 which will do all 3 channels in one unit plus my Danley subs. Xilica is also the Company that makes them for Danley.

Hopefully next week will be a great week.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 856 Old 08-06-15, 08:52 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Glad to see your making progress. I have never been a very happy camper with the Mini. Then I heard about the horn guys hating the hiss from the Mini and that kept me from buying anymore. I still plan on building some more horns so I will be going else where. I look forward to your thoughts on the Xilica.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #633 of 856 Old 08-06-15, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Glad to see your making progress. I have never been a very happy camper with the Mini. Then I heard about the horn guys hating the hiss from the Mini and that kept me from buying anymore. I still plan on building some more horns so I will be going else where. I look forward to your thoughts on the Xilica.
Hopefully I will have it Saturday... if so I should have info about how it sounds by Monday. I am now a reviewer so it won't be much, but I will do my best to describe how it works. I will only be using it for basic crossover, delays, gain adjustment and high shelf. It is quite a bit more than the minis were (3), but I got it for a real good price as it was the dealers last one, and he wanted to order more stock.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #634 of 856 Old 08-06-15, 10:43 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Well any info will be much appreciated. Especially since it is going on a high sensitivity horn setup.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #635 of 856 Old 08-07-15, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I was told the processor should be here today...hopefully Monoprice will have my cables here on Saturday (I selected Saturday delivery).

Ron

My Home Theater

post #636 of 856 Old 08-07-15, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Well any info will be much appreciated. Especially since it is going on a high sensitivity horn setup.
I just got the XP-4080.

I have been browsing for more reviews of it, and i found this... I knew that Danley used it, but I didn't know that Aeris also used it, plus it is used in recording studios. Here is a link to the review... http://www.stereomojo.com/Legacy%20A...akerreview.htm

I will still post my own comments once I get the 4 input cables dressed for the Dirac, and the rest of my XLR cables will be here Saturday.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #637 of 856 Old 08-11-15, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Well I got it all setup... It was not as easy as I thought it would be as there is a bit of a learning curve to set this unit up. Once I got it figured out it is pretty easy to do. What makes it difficult is the manual doesn't have a flow chart so you can work your way down to what you need. What it does is tell you the options for each item and it ends there. There are a lot of things I could still do with this unit, but I have no idea what they do or when I would use them. It seems to be very transparent sounding (doesn't appear to add or detract from anything). I am very pleased with the way it just plain works.

One thing I still need to do is get the DTS-10s dialed in. All I did with the crossover was cross them over at 100hz, and then tell my Oppo to cross them over at 80Hz (I don't know what db slope the Oppo is using). I am not sure if this is right or not but I did it this way because the Oppo is upline from the crossover and is my bass management. Right now the crossover is not boosting the bass at all, and the Dirac is boosting part of it, and cutting other parts. This has left me with a little more upper bass than I am used to. I would prefer it to go a little deeper than it is now. What I noticed in the Dirac is it won't let me drag the line to lower than 20Hz.

Hopefully this next weekend I can get the bass dialed in like I want.

One thing that the whole Dirac, Xilica setup has made me realize is that the Lexicon NT-512, and Sherbourn 5/1500 are not what I was really looking for. My whole premise on this setup was to save electricity while being able to hit reference levels with great sound. What I have right now is great sound that is costing me 2amps more than the old setup with the Yamaha Pro Amps. I also discovered that I really need to have gain controls on the horns. What I am going to do is look for a 3 channel amp that is compact, has balanced inputs, gain controls, efficient, great build quality, and affordable. One option I have thought about is to get a 11 channel balanced input amp, and then just get a 50wpc 3 channel amp. I do have a 80wpc Yamaha Pro amp that I might just try out (4 channel which means i would not be using one channel), but there is one thing I don't like about this amp... Its fans run constantly (unlike my other Yamaha Pro amps which were dead silent).

Ron

My Home Theater

post #638 of 856 Old 08-15-15, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Yesterday, and today have not been good days. Yesterday i went to boot up my NAS after having it off for 3 days...go into my Openelec/Kodi media player, and the NAS can only see the USB drive. I figured my USB drive was failing so I purchased another one...still can't see it. I had other things to do today, and now I have to spend it just getting the NAS to work. It appears the USB drive was not bad to start with. Must be a hardware problem.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #639 of 856 Old 08-17-15, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Still no love... I can access the UnRAID NAS via the web GUI (have it doing a parity check now), but the UNRAID Main Menu won't load, although all the other menus load. I hope when the parity check is completed I can get the NAS, and Media Server to work together again.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #640 of 856 Old 08-17-15, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Dolby Atmos/DTS-X will be sooner than I had anticipated... I should have my new AVP in September/October (waiting for it's release). If I get the one I am planning on it will have HDMI 2.2, and HDCP 2.2, and HDR support. The new AVP should last me for many years to come. I also might have a Yamaha MX-5000 power amp soon to replace the Lexicon, and Sherbourn amps. The next upgrade after this will be a 3 channel low power amp for the horns... I am thinking of a Balanced GainClone amp with gain controls on it to allow the horn gain to be turned down (this is supposedly the preferred method over lowering the gain in the crossover.

Ron

My Home Theater