Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 66 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

17Likes

post #651 of 793 Old 08-26-15, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
That's exciting Ron! Big changes in your room. So you have found Dirac to make a noticeable difference in listening? I had always thought it looked cool, but wasn't really planning to try it because it seemed like too much work for what might amount to an incremental improvement. It will be interesting to see what Dirac does with DTS:X and Atmos material.
Hi Owen. I have found the difference was much clearer dialog, minute sounds are now heard, and my top end is more extended than it was with Audyssey. What I need to do is work on the bass a bit now as it is not as tight, revealing, or powerful as it was with Audyssey. In general the sound is better than it ever was before.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #652 of 793 Old 08-26-15, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Today I got the new amp installed... So far it is better in almost every way. I have a little hiss, but you have to get on the stage to even hear it. The only bad thing I currently am hearing is interference noise from the i3NUCs. I have always had it but it seems to be a little louder now. I am going to have to play around with the wiring, and location of the NUCs to eliminate it. The highs sound nice and clear with the midrange having all the magic it has had in the past and a touch more. The bass is more pronounced than it has been since we removed the Denon. At this point it is nice and tight, deep, and very revealing. I didn't think I was going to need to run the room tune again, but I will tomorrow just to see how it changes the sound.

I am very pleased with the swap, plus the electricity consumption dropped to lower than it was with the Denon/Yamaha Pro amps which was 1/2 what it was with the Lexicon/Sherbourn setup. I have to say the Yamaha has a much better bottom end than the Sherbourn by far. The bottom end is tighter, deeper, and louder than the Sherbourn was. Listening at the same approximate levels we have listened in the past to the Lexicon/Sherbourn setup the Yamaha will shake the walls with bass where the Sherbourn wouldn't. When people say certain amps have a deeper, tighter bass...I have to agree it can happen.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #653 of 793 Old 08-27-15, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I added a new media player today to the setup, and it works great and is super small. I purchased this one... SolidRun CuBoxTV Quad Core 1ghz XMBC Media Center

I have tried playing a few movies (1080P), and so far it works much better than my Celeron NUC for less than a 3rd of the price. It comes with Kodi preinstalled so i didn't have to buy memory, USB stick or a SSD which makes it a much better deal.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #654 of 793 Old 08-31-15, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Question Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

The only noise I have to deal with now is coming from my i3NUCs. If they are off or I select the Oppo, my speakers are dead silent. Has anyone else had this problem?

My last pair of JBL 8340As were supposed to be in today but the truck arrived late. New delivery is tomorrow. I can't wait to get them in place and run the Dirac again. I have moved my front row forward about 1' (hopefully it will help the bass null in the front row). When I get the whole room finished I am thinking of making the rear platform come out all the way to the front row, and then have the steps only on the sides of the front row. This will allow my curved 2nd row to be at least 3' from the rear wall. Currently the 2nd row is the best row if you want to feel the bass, and the front row is for people that don't want to hear the bass. When we listen to music I still prefer the 2nd row if there is any deep bass in the recording. Maybe down the road I might get some bass shakers for the front row....

Ron

My Home Theater

post #655 of 793 Old 09-01-15, 12:22 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Hi Owen. I have found the difference was much clearer dialog, minute sounds are now heard, and my top end is more extended than it was with Audyssey. What I need to do is work on the bass a bit now as it is not as tight, revealing, or powerful as it was with Audyssey. In general the sound is better than it ever was before.
Thanks Ron. I find that low or muddy dialogue is fast becoming my top pet peeve in the HT. It is often underestimated (as it used to be by me) and can be tough to actually improve.

I just took a look at the CuBoxTV and it seems like a great little unit. Lately my WDLive has been stuttering with some 1080p material (even direct from USB) and while it might be specific codecs or something, I think it might be nice to have the processing power in that CuBox.

- OJ -

post #656 of 793 Old 09-01-15, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
Wow Ron, how did you find those so fast ??
I have never used craigslist, good to know and yes St. Louis is an hour and a half from me, not too far at all.
I will send a message now.

Thank You
Somebody on FB just picked up a pair of raw birch La Scalas for $150... The pics look like they were in excellent to mint condition. I think it was in Salt Lake City.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #657 of 793 Old 09-01-15, 08:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Somebody on FB just picked up a pair of raw birch La Scalas for $150... The pics look like they were in excellent to mint condition. I think it was in Salt Lake City.
You are such a tease. I have not looked in many other cities so in reality this may be my fault. I think I have a line on another pair of Klipsch like the ones I already have. That would be soo cool.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #658 of 793 Old 09-01-15, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
You are such a tease. I have not looked in many other cities so in reality this may be my fault. I think I have a line on another pair of Klipsch like the ones I already have. That would be soo cool.
I was shocked when I saw the pics of the ones he got for $150...they looked brand new!

Ron

My Home Theater

post #659 of 793 Old 09-04-15, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Today, I hope to get the new JBLs mounted on the rear wall. This will be a little involved as I need to remove the Roxul, make new would supports, re-install the Roxul, install new rubber, and then mount them. Once I have this all done I plan to tackle the PC noise, and then run REW, and calibrate the whole setup again with the Dirac.

Hopefully this weekend I can get one pair of the Atmos channels mapped to the proper location, and installed. I hope to also get the 2nd pair mapped to the correct location, so when I get a 2nd pair I will be able to mount them quickly.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #660 of 793 Old 09-05-15, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Didn't get as far as I had hoped...

I now have the Klipsch Speakers removed, and the new JBLs in their place. I still need to cut more Roxul to stuff around the rear channels, and then staple some fresh rubber sheets around the speakers. Once this is done I need to make some new fabric panels for the rear wall, and then run the Dirac again.

Meanwhile i am still trying to figure out the Media Server issue in our living room too.

Just not enough hours in the day to get everything done.

Ron

My Home Theater