Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 70 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #691 of 856 Old 12-01-15, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

I have my 2nd pair (rear pair) of Atmos speakers coming, and I am not sure where to install them.

1: Should they be parallel to the front pair? If I make them parallel to the front pair the left hand speaker will need to go into the soffit (which will put the speaker facing downward 4" lower than the other Atmos channels) I could mount it the same as the other speakers (directly to the ceiling), but then I have to worry about the dispersion pattern hitting the sides of the soffit.

2: If I mount it the same way as the front pair...then the right side would be parallel to the front Atmos, but the left channel would be 2' closer to the MLP than the right side.

I am not going to cut down walls, or soffits to make it symmetrical... What should I do?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 856 Old 12-07-15, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

The last pair of JBL 8320s showed up today. Project this week will be to get them hung, and then this weekend run the room tune again (after the couch is removed from the room, and the 2nd row is moved to replace the front row). I have an exercise bike, and one recliner that will go in the 2nd row for now.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #693 of 856 Old 12-14-15, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

So far I have done the following this week...

1: removed the couch in the front row
2: moved the 4 recliners from the 2nd row to the front row
3: moved the power recliner to the 2nd row center
4: moved the exercise bike to the 2nd row
5: installed both rear Atmos speakers

Next will be to wire them up to the Yamaha Pro 4 channel amp, and retune the room.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #694 of 856 Old 12-15-15, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I ran the wires today for the rear Atmos channels, and found that i have no sound.... Checked the cables, and found that i only ordered 1 pr of XLR cables for the Atmos setup.

Went back online and ordered another pair from Monoprice. I should have them by Thursday, so I will be tuning the setup Thursday or Friday. If the weather holds out (and I am up to it), I will make some more ceiling panels tomorrow.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #695 of 856 Old 12-15-15, 07:36 PM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I have my 2nd pair (rear pair) of Atmos speakers coming, and I am not sure where to install them.

1: Should they be parallel to the front pair? If I make them parallel to the front pair the left hand speaker will need to go into the soffit (which will put the speaker facing downward 4" lower than the other Atmos channels) I could mount it the same as the other speakers (directly to the ceiling), but then I have to worry about the dispersion pattern hitting the sides of the soffit.

2: If I mount it the same way as the front pair...then the right side would be parallel to the front Atmos, but the left channel would be 2' closer to the MLP than the right side.

I am not going to cut down walls, or soffits to make it symmetrical... What should I do?

Thanks for the updates! I've enjoyed following along, and don't blame you for not wanting to compromise the soffits. You seem to be in a conundrum. I'd have to agree with you on the dispersion pattern resulting from mounting the left Atmos too close. What if you mounted the rear pair symmetrical w.r.t. the LP (meaning both would be 2' closer)? I realize that front and rear pairs would no longer be the same distance from the LP, but wouldn't room correction compensate levels accordingly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am

post #696 of 856 Old 12-15-15, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
Thanks for the updates! I've enjoyed following along, and don't blame you for not wanting to compromise the soffits. You seem to be in a conundrum. I'd have to agree with you on the dispersion pattern resulting from mounting the left Atmos too close. What if you mounted the rear pair symmetrical w.r.t. the LP (meaning both would be 2' closer)? I realize that front and rear pairs would no longer be the same distance from the LP, but wouldn't room correction compensate levels accordingly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I hope I am not boring anyone with my little updates...

What I ended up doing was mounting one speaker in the soffit (Left rear) directly behind the front Left Atmos channel, and the other one directly behind the front right Atmos channel (both rear channel Atmos speakers are lined up equally to themselves, and spaced equally from the front Atmos channels (if this makes sense...speakers are now arranged in a rectangle on the ceiling). Luckily the left rear speaker is in the area where the hallway ends and sticks out from the wall a little bit (it will be unobstructed in 3 directions by 4' or more (same as the front Atmos speakers from the side walls)), and will be the same distance from the side wall as the right Atmos speakers). We will see how it works out. This puts the rear Atmos speakers a little closer to the MLP than the fronts, but not by much.

I have moved the rear recliners to the front I actually increased the distance to the Atmos channels as we usually watch with the seats reclined.

Since I still need to finish the bottoms of the soffit... I am going to use GOM for where the speaker is, and I might even just do the bottoms of all the soffit with GOM, and the sides will either stay black velvet or I will do them also in GOM.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #697 of 856 Old 12-18-15, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Yesterday I made 8 more ceiling panel frames, and wrapped 3 of them in GOM. Today I hope to get the rest wrapped in GOM, and get some if not all hung. Once this is completed, I will only have a narrow section all around the room to complete, the area around the entrance door, the hallway ceiling, and around the doors. We a finally getting close to completion.

This time i made the panels out of redwood...it was a little more expensive, but they are almost half the weight of the pine ones. I figure the lighter the better when it is hanging from the ceiling.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #698 of 856 Old 01-17-16, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Well almost a month later i have finished 6 of the 7 needed panels for the ceiling, and they are now installed. All that is left now (for the ceiling in the HT) is to wrap one more panel, make 3 more full size panels, and make narrow panels for both side walls. I am debating on making another row for right next to the screen (this would make the entire ceiling covered in panels (stuffed, and empty).

Next will then be to finish off the soffits. I am thinking of re-doing the soffits on the equipment rack side. We made it as a bass soffit, but I think it would be better if it was sealed off with 2 layers of drywall, and then covered with the panels. The reason for this is we have a HVAC duct inside the soffit, and I believe we can reduce more noise from escaping from the room.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #699 of 856 Old 02-14-16, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Update: Today I removed the projector, and shelf and mounted it properly from the ceiling... I also centered the lens on the screen so I don't have to use the lens shift except for up and down. Next will be to make a new mount for the Panamorph lens. I picked up a pair of plumbers standoff mounts, and some pvc pipe threaded adapters. I plan on using these to get my distance right where it needs to be. If it turns out to not be sturdy enough, I will make a new mount. Hopefully i can get some more panels completed this week with some of my old pieces that are not being used anymore.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #700 of 856 Old 02-18-16, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Update: This week I have gotten the projector ceiling mounted along with the lens. I also have been working on some more panels that were missing. Yesterday, and today I worked on the hallway panels...I still need a couple more for the wall, cover the ceiling, and one small corner. Most likely it will be a while before i can make any more panels as I only have a couple of small pieces of GOM left. Friday, I plan to retune the room with YPAO, and Dirac. This time i am going to try and do 4 tunes... I will try a front row MLP for stereo, and another for surround. Once I have those 2 done I will do the same for the second row.

Ron

My Home Theater