Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 74 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #731 of 855 Old 05-26-16, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
Ellis, I love reading these posts on your forum here, they make me feel that anything is possible in my own place....well slightly less possible as I do not have a bank in my closet but I will follow your example here and do it right.
I hear ya jack. I am retired, so no more 6 figure income. That is why when I buy something I try to get used or the best deal I can find on it. Going back to Pro amps is a step forward again, and selling off the equipment i don't need allows me to fund changes to the system. As an example...selling the 11 channel Yamaha pays for both Crest Audio amps, both Parasound amps, 3 Furman power filters, and a new AVR for our living room. Buying consumer products new is a big expenditure, when you can buy used and get a much better deal. The Crest Audio amps are around $2500-$2700 used, and i paid $200-$295 for each one in excellent condition. Just look for the deals and you will find them.

My friend has done an even better budget setup than mine. He bought some in-wall subs with amps for a few hundred used, 3 EV DH1A drivers (about $300 for all 3), got 3 horns for free, few hundred for a Yamaha integrated amp (I think it was the A1), Yamaha pro amp for free, La Scala Bass bins for free, EV drivers for the Bass bins for about $100 each, and a free MiniDSP 2x4. He did this buy looking for deals.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #732 of 855 Old 06-12-16, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I just picked up a 3rd Parasound Zamp, so now I will see how the front 3 horns sound with bridge mono power. I didn't need the power, but the deal was too good to pass on. The only problem is I have a v1, v2, and a v3. I don't think this should make a difference once the room is tuned, but we will soon find out!

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #733 of 855 Old 06-13-16, 08:54 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

No no no that will just not do. You have to have all v3's. The aesthetics will be way off. It will cause excessive ripples in the response that can not be eq'd out. LOL J
ellisr63 likes this.

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”

post #734 of 855 Old 06-13-16, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
No no no that will just not do. You have to have all v3's. The aesthetics will be way off. It will cause excessive ripples in the response that can not be eq'd out. LOL J
LOL
I would have liked to have them all the same, but I got them for 1/3-1/2 price. The amps appear to be basically identical except for cosmetics. Since no one will see them when they are tucked away in my hidden rack they will do fine.
chrapladm likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #735 of 855 Old 06-16-16, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Yesterday was a long day, but I made some excellent progress. I was having problems with electrical noise with all of the replacement amps (but my friend tried them on his setup, and had none. My solution was to take the Yamaha Pro 4 channel amp and try it out. It took quite a while to rewire everything, but I eventually got the wires all remade to the new shorter distances (remaining balanced throughout instead of going balanced to unbalanced RCAs). I have to say it was def worth it, and I am glad I hadn't put it up for sale yet. The only downside is that the fans on this unit are noisier than I would like, but the plus side was there is no hiss coming from the horns anymore, plus I gained more headroom (3db) for the horns (overkill, I know). It took me from noon to about 8pm to get everything wired up for the front 3 channels, and subs. I shortened all of the wires for the outputs on the Dirac. In addition, every wire for the front 3 channels, and subs has now been labeled on the wires, Phoenix connectors, and amp hookups to where if anyone wanted to disconnect the wiring anyone could wire it back up by just looking at the wires, and matching it up to the Phoenix connectors(if it was disconnected there instead of the unit). Today i updated the 2nd unit to 88M, and I am currently waiting for the authorization code before i install the unit again. I figure once I get the 2nd unit installed... I will still need 1 to 2 days to get the REW run again (I changed the crossover to 400Hz from 500Hz), and to run the room tune on the 2 88M boxes (this is with no complications).

Ron

My Home Theater

post #736 of 855 Old 06-17-16, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

This morning i received my activation code for the 2nd 88A. Today the plan is to get the 2nd unit rack mounted and 16 cables made, and labeled. If I get that all done and have time I will do a room tune, and then save it. Next will be to run REW again to make sure everything is still perfect, and if it isn't correct it and re run Dirac.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #737 of 855 Old 06-17-16, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Today i got the 2nd Dirac in place, rewired most of my rack, and cleaned it up quite a bit. I still need to do the wiring for the 8 inputs on the Dirac though, as it took quite a while to clean up the rest of the rats nest behind the rack.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #738 of 855 Old 06-18-16, 06:39 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

There is no way you are one person Ellis, based upon all the cool stuff you have and have done, you are at least 3 people. Just sayin
ellisr63 likes this.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #739 of 855 Old 06-18-16, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
There is no way you are one person Ellis, based upon all the cool stuff you have and have done, you are at least 3 people. Just sayin
Thanks Jack, making custom cable lengths takes a lot longer than I thought, and these are just custom cut with Phoenix blocks. I am glad there was no RCA or XLR soldering involved.

Today I will see if I can get the last 8 connectors done.

One thing i have done for now is bundled my HDMI, and cat5 cables together. If I need to run them separate it is not a big deal but will not look as nice, as I have my cables dressed down the center of the rack. Once I get all the wires siruated, I am going to look at buying shorter AC cords too.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #740 of 855 Old 06-18-16, 12:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Good idea, I am glad someone makes their own cables, rolls their own if you will. Makes it easy to get a perfect length,
I have used teflex with cable pants to some good end but first the teflex has to be put into that plastic shrink tubing junk in my case or it frays.

Pictures are a must.
ellisr63 likes this.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"