Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 75 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #741 of 855 Old 06-18-16, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
Good idea, I am glad someone makes their own cables, rolls their own if you will. Makes it easy to get a perfect length,
I have used teflex with cable pants to some good end but first the teflex has to be put into that plastic shrink tubing junk in my case or it frays.

Pictures are a must.
What I am doing is taking MonoPrice XLR cables and cutting them down to what I need in length, and attaching them to Phoenix blocks...then labeling them. Not a big deal, but def time consuming.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #742 of 855 Old 06-18-16, 08:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Interesting, I have never heard of anyone attaching cables to a phoenix box. Are the blocks the meeting point between two things ??

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #743 of 855 Old 06-18-16, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Interesting, I have never heard of anyone attaching cables to a phoenix box. Are the blocks the meeting point between two things ??
My Dirac, and Crest Audio Pro amp only have Phoenix connectors.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #744 of 855 Old 06-19-16, 07:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Ill be darned, look at that. More connectors, I just cant keep up with them all.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #745 of 855 Old 06-19-16, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Ill be darned, look at that. More connectors, I just cant keep up with them all.
The individual ones for balanced are nice, but the ones MiniDSP uses are smaller, and for 4 channels...they are harder to use. I wish they would have went with an XLR dongle instead.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #746 of 855 Old 06-27-16, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Still trying to connect to the upgraded 88A boxes since I reinstalled Windows. Hopefully I will have time today to get pics of the process to send to MiniDSP to get this figured out. Hopefully i don't have to pull the boxes out of the rack, and reinstall the firmware again.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #747 of 855 Old 07-04-16, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I got the DDRC-88A/M units up, and running today.

I also found out something interesting today...when I had the Yamaha MX-A5000 amp hooked up everything sounded good, but I felt there was a lack of dynamics. When we had the front 3 channels hooked up with the subs, and the Crest Audio/Yamaha 4080 amps, we noticed the dynamics were back. Today when I went to run the front 3 channels on Dirac #1 everything sounded great, but when I went to run the rear, and Atmos channels on Dirac #2, I couldn't get the levels up to match the fronts (fronts are 112db, and surrounds are 91db). I then remembered the Crest Audio amps have a "0", and "X40" setting for gain. I switched the Atmos/Surround channels to "X40", and my levels were almost exactly the same as the fronts in Dirac!
This brings up a question:

How was the Yamaha doing it before? I am thinking that the CX-A5100 was knocking the output down for the front 3 channels, and boosting the Atmos/Surround channels up to get the levels equal. I think this might also be why we seemed to be missing dynamics.

Any thoughts on this?

Ron

My Home Theater

post #748 of 855 Old 07-08-16, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I now have both Diracs up and running properly, and tuned from 1 position only. I am going to tune for all 9 positions this weekend (that is the plan...we will see how it goes ). So far the sound is real close to the best I have had in the HT. The bass is a little looser than I would like, but that might be taken care of after I get the 9 position tune done.

I have just found a new reference quality disc for music... Adelle "25". When I listen to the disc from my back row... I hear her singing from my front row, and the chorus behind the screen which is 12' from the front row! I have never had a soundstage that deep, and in my face like this disc does. I also have purchased some other tunes I like, but I am getting pissed at the producers of the discs insisting on adding record static! I want a super clean sound like a studio should produce with everything nice and crisp, great imaging, great bass...overall just sounds great. When I had my TT setup I had zero record static, and this was with used records. Why do they insist on doing a retro sound to a non hifi sound? If i would have heard this static on the radio... I never would have bought it!

Ron

My Home Theater

post #749 of 855 Old 07-08-16, 04:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I have just found a new reference quality disc for music... Adelle "25". When I listen to the disc from my back row... I hear her singing from my front row, and the chorus behind the screen which is 12' from the front row! I have never had a soundstage that deep, and in my face like this disc does. I also have purchased some other tunes I like, but I am getting pissed at the producers of the discs insisting on adding record static! I want a super clean sound like a studio should produce with everything nice and crisp, great imaging, great bass...overall just sounds great. When I had my TT setup I had zero record static, and this was with used records. Why do they insist on doing a retro sound to a non hifi sound? If i would have heard this static on the radio... I never would have bought it!
Very interesting Ellis, thanks for your thoughts on your new reference quality disc. I guess I had not considered 25 reference quality but I will certainly go listen to it again today on the new home theater PC. I do know her album 21 is horrific with absolutely no dynamics and very little sound staging but her voice is so good that it overtakes some of the negative aspects of the disc.
As far as adding static, tape noise and as you call it the retro sound I to am clueless on this. I see no reason for really good recording artists specially those like Mark Knopfler to run their master tapes or digital tapes through some sort of processor to degrade the sound so that it sounds like a record. It's not a record that never was a record and should be treated as a digital source that it is. Now this does not mean I'm saying digital is better under the same leave things alone don't mess further
ellisr63 likes this.

Good Listening

Jack

post #750 of 855 Old 07-08-16, 06:49 PM
Senior Shackster

Ron, it's always very interesting/informative...a pleasure a delight to read your posts.
______

Adele / 25

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2015...-new-album-25/
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f1...-hi-res-26555/
______

ellisr63 likes this.

Life, Love & the Blues