Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 76 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #751 of 855 Old 07-09-16, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
Very interesting Ellis, thanks for your thoughts on your new reference quality disc. I guess I had not considered 25 reference quality but I will certainly go listen to it again today on the new home theater PC. I do know her album 21 is horrific with absolutely no dynamics and very little sound staging but her voice is so good that it overtakes some of the negative aspects of the disc.
As far as adding static, tape noise and as you call it the retro sound I to am clueless on this. I see no reason for really good recording artists specially those like Mark Knopfler to run their master tapes or digital tapes through some sort of processor to degrade the sound so that it sounds like a record. It's not a record that never was a record and should be treated as a digital source that it is. Now this does not mean I'm saying digital is better under the same leave things alone don't mess further
Quote:
NorthSky wrote: View Post
Ron, it's always very interesting/informative...a pleasure a delight to read your posts.
______

Adele / 25

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2015...-new-album-25/
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f1...-hi-res-26555/
______

Please let me know if your opinion is the same about the Adele "25" disc. I love it when music is crystal clear, and seems to almost be floating in the space in front of you, and this disc reminded me os Suzanne Vega in the way she floats in front of you and you hear everything so clearly. I t was a very simple recording that didn't have a ton going on, which might also make it sound better. The track I like the most so far is "Hello". I am glad that you said the older album was not good, as I was tempted to get it too, but was unsure of the quality of the recording.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 855 Old 07-09-16, 01:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Good morning Ron,

I played the CD couple times, just to make sure. I doubt that I'll play it again. I have 19, 21 and 25.
Adele is a super Pop star, selling big time to all her many fans. This is great for her, for her career, and to her future...27, 29, 30, 31, 33, 35, 36, and so on till about 79 or 81 with good health.

There are few tunes I like from her, just for the tunes. For CD's sound quality...this ain't audiophile music stuff:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/105216

I never commented personally on her music and sound quality before. I just posted two links and her picture.
Music is so personal that it's like what you like for breakfast.
What Adele has on me is that I got her three CDs.
What she doesn't have on me is that her section is in the compressed Pop zone, along with all the other CDs I accumulated over the years and gathering dust because of poor production values. But that's just my opinion. A lot of people love that sound, it's more about the lyrics, the melancholy, the related union. I think.

It's great to be free to express ourselves respectfully and learn more about this planet and the people living on it.
Everything is important, from the babies to the elderly.

We're all humans; with a soul, a spirit, an awareness, a love, a passion, a heart.

Life, Love & the Blues
post #753 of 855 Old 07-09-16, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Good morning Ron,

I played the CD couple times, just to make sure. I doubt that I'll play it again. I have 19, 21 and 25.
Adele is a super Pop star, selling big time to all her many fans. This is great for her, for her career, and to her future...27, 29, 30, 31, 33, 35, 36, and so on till about 79 or 81 with good health.

There are few tunes I like from her, just for the tunes. For CD's sound quality...this ain't audiophile music stuff:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/105216

I never commented personally on her music and sound quality before. I just posted two links and her picture.
Music is so personal that it's like what you like for breakfast.
What Adele has on me is that I got her three CDs.
What she doesn't have on me is that her section is in the compressed Pop zone, along with all the other CDs I accumulated over the years and gathering dust because of poor production values. But that's just my opinion. A lot of people love that sound, it's more about the lyrics, the melancholy, the related union. I think.

It's great to be free to express ourselves respectfully and learn more about this planet and the people living on it.
Everything is important, from the babies to the elderly.

We're all humans; with a soul, a spirit, an awareness, a love, a passion, a heart.

Adele - Million Years Ago (Live at TODAY) Lyrics (CC) - YouTube
Strange... on my setup the soundstage depth is more than I have ever had before, and the clarity top to bottom is awesome (her backup singers are not quite as clear but never the less they were good too). I have to admit she is not my favorite singer but she is superb from top to bottom with her vocals IMO. Maybe it is because of my setup... I know I have tracks that sounded great on past systems that sound mediocre on my current setup.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #754 of 855 Old 07-09-16, 06:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

I have to say Ron that I don't hear a lot of depth in this disc but I think the way everything is hooked up in my system the depth is a little truncated by nature. I can tell that the reverb from her voice when she says Hello is pretty substantial than it goes away and she comes up front to sing for all of us.

Nevertheless I can say that this disc is much better than her previous one and has great dynamics particularly on your favorite song. I love it but then again I love most of her music.
ellisr63 likes this.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #755 of 855 Old 07-09-16, 08:57 PM
Senior Shackster

One time I expressed my honest opinion on a recording from another female singer:

And it didn't suit some folks; I got banned.
So I won't go through a similar experience.

I like Adele, but she's not one of my top female singers. ...And her music and her recording engineers. I like few tunes and I feel good.
The opinions on 25's recording sound quality vary depending of each's own taste. It's not black and white...it's pink, red, blue, yellow, green, purple and violet.
My stereo system is probably not up to the high recording standards of 25.
Maybe my CD is an inferior pressing, and I would need to step up: https://www.merchbar.com/pop/adele/a...amed-exclusive

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...ele-hello.html

Bonus:

Life, Love & the Blues
post #756 of 855 Old 07-10-16, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:

I like Adele, but she's not one of my top female singers. ...And her music and her recording engineers. I like few tunes and I feel good.
The opinions on 25's recording sound quality vary depending of each's own taste. It's not black and white...it's pink, red, blue, yellow, green, purple and violet.
My stereo system is probably not up to the high recording standards of 25.
Maybe my CD is an inferior pressing, and I would need to step up: https://www.merchbar.com/pop/adele/a...amed-exclusive

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...ele-hello.html

Bonus:

Lucky Chops - Hello (ADELE COVER) - YouTube
I wouldn't think you need a better copy. If you were listening to it on Youtube, I would say you do, but not if you have the store CD. I think the results I am getting are because I have a fully treated room. A friend of mine also has a treated room (not as much as mine, but we both have horns, and horn loaded bass), and also had similar results.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #757 of 855 Old 07-10-16, 11:27 PM
Senior Shackster

My room is not treated Ron, and my hi-fi stereo sound system is not audiophile high resolution. It's normal fi.
I have her three CDs, including her last...25.

You are most probably correct; your treated room and Dirac Live. Many of my CDs I hate their sound quality...the older stuff from the CD era...80s and 90s.
The new stuff I like most is classical music and opera and # social music (jazz). ...The odd Blues, and some of the unknown world territories.
I know a good friend who loves the Bee Gees and the Beatles.

I need a better room and system to fully appreciate the music love. I try to be content today about tomorrow's past.

Life, Love & the Blues
post #758 of 855 Old 07-11-16, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Today or tomorrow, I plan on tuning the room for all 9 positions with the Dirac on both boxes. My friend Travis will be coming over for dog training on Tuesday night, so i want it to be ready for another listening session (RF guy).We will see how it changes the sound...hoping it gets even better.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #759 of 855 Old 07-11-16, 06:37 PM
Shackster
Travis

Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

I was reading your post about Adele. So I gave it a listen on my two systems last night. The gym stereo and the stereo for the theater. I listened to the track Hello. In the gym the vocals are sitting in front of me. Her voice goes soaring and the gym stereo follows it better than in the house theater. My Yamaha front speakers are in the house. The in house stereo gets just a little muddy. The piano gets lost as the track progresses in the house. But the piano stays very clear in the gym. Also there is some percussion instrument that makes a "pop" sound starting around 2:00 into the song that stands out in the gym. But it gets lost in the house. I think my theater room is too "live" (not treated) and the system is not as dynamic as my gym stereo. In the gym the track is outstanding. In the house it is so-so. I even tried turning off the velodyne sub in the house to see if it was doing something strange. But nope. It didn't seem to be contributing much either. So listening to the track on my two systems gave me two very different experiences. My stereo in the house is not bad either. Good AVR and I like the speakers. Maybe the track just really shines coming out of horns? A couple other tracks sound great too.
My two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ellisr63 likes this.
post #760 of 855 Old 07-12-16, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Today i finally got the new 88Ms configured and tuned...you might think this is no big deal, but I have to have the 1st mic position the same for each box! I decided to make "EGOR" he sits in the MLP, and is made up of scraps of wood, aluminum angles, a few screws, and lots of painters tape. He is hideous to look at but for free he did the job! When I decided I need to do this again... I envision using turnbuckles, wood, and aluminum. If I do it this way it would be infinitely adjustable. I covered the chair, and as much of him as possible with cloth to stop reflections during the tune.

Meet "EGOR"... I know he is ugly, and I am not proud of him, but he got the job done and he is within 1/2" for both directions.

Setup for Atmos:

Side shot for Atmos:

90 degree for front channels:

Ron

My Home Theater