Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 77 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #761 of 855 Old 07-12-16, 08:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

The Dolby Atmos tech guys; they do some similar for all speakers, including the ceiling ones?

Life, Love & the Blues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #762 of 855 Old 07-12-16, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
NorthSky wrote: View Post
The Dolby Atmos tech guys; they do some similar for all speakers, including the ceiling ones?
Normally everyone I have seen just does the mic pointed forward, but since I have a separate box for surrounds/Atmos... I did the same as another AVSer that wrote up the procedures for dual box setups. Now in his setup he only had the Atmos channels on the 2nd box. I have all my Atmos, and surround channels on the same box, but my surrounds are close to the ceiling aiming down so I figured this would work. I have to tell you my dynamics are def back! A friend of mine came over (RF guy), and I cranked it up to "0", and the amps were just getting a signal (the green lights come on for each channel at approx 1 watt), but it was very loud, and the bass was rocking! My next tune will be for the 2nd row MLP.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #763 of 855 Old 07-13-16, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
RF Guy wrote: View Post
I was reading your post about Adele. So I gave it a listen on my two systems last night. The gym stereo and the stereo for the theater. I listened to the track Hello. In the gym the vocals are sitting in front of me. Her voice goes soaring and the gym stereo follows it better than in the house theater. My Yamaha front speakers are in the house. The in house stereo gets just a little muddy. The piano gets lost as the track progresses in the house. But the piano stays very clear in the gym. Also there is some percussion instrument that makes a "pop" sound starting around 2:00 into the song that stands out in the gym. But it gets lost in the house. I think my theater room is too "live" (not treated) and the system is not as dynamic as my gym stereo. In the gym the track is outstanding. In the house it is so-so. I even tried turning off the velodyne sub in the house to see if it was doing something strange. But nope. It didn't seem to be contributing much either. So listening to the track on my two systems gave me two very different experiences. My stereo in the house is not bad either. Good AVR and I like the speakers. Maybe the track just really shines coming out of horns? A couple other tracks sound great too.
My two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting up...feel free to post up about your thoughts (He comes over once a week to train his dog, and then listens to my HT setup). We will also be back to having Movie nights soon.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #764 of 855 Old 07-15-16, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

With the new amps in place...we are now finding that the listening level is lower than it was before. What I mean by this is that the volume is lower for equal or louder sound. I am wondering if the way i set the levels for the crossover when we lowered it from 500Hz to 400Hz is why. We also have noticed that we have more top end then we did with the 11 channel Yamaha. It appears we have the dynamics of the old Yamaha Pro amp stack back again too. At normal -30 to -20 the lights for a signal don't even turn on (should come on at about 1 watt).

Ron

My Home Theater

post #765 of 855 Old 07-15-16, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I have been working on and off for the last week trying different software to rip my Roger Waters- Amused to Death 5.1 Bluray to my HDD, and until this morning i had limited success. I was able to get it ripped to an ISO, and then to individual mka files, but then I couldn't play the files. I wanted to have them as individual 5.1 wav or flac files so I continued to search. A lot of websites advertised their software as being able to do this, but what i found was they would only rip to a stereo or mono file... That was until I found Audiomuxer (a free program). I downloaded and installed the program and first tried to rip from my ISO file, and i had success, but didn't like it compressing the file by over 40% (I don't know if it would make a difference or not), so I did it again, and this time I had it rip it directly from the BR disc (I did this just in case the previous ISO had some alterations going on during the rip).

Once I was done I renamed the song, and dropped it into my Roger Waters directory in my 5.1 folder on my NAS, and played it through KODI. It sounds great! Now I am ripping it over one last time with all the tracks (I just did one to make sure it would work, and not have to waste anymore time with failed software).

Ron

My Home Theater

post #766 of 855 Old 07-15-16, 09:26 PM
Shackster
Travis

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I have been working on and off for the last week trying different software to rip my Roger Waters- Amused to Death 5.1 Bluray to my HDD, and until this morning i had limited success. I was able to get it ripped to an ISO, and then to individual mka files, but then I couldn't play the files. I wanted to have them as individual 5.1 wav or flac files so I continued to search. A lot of websites advertised their software as being able to do this, but what i found was they would only rip to a stereo or mono file... That was until I found Audiomuxer ).

Thanks for the software tip Ron!! I was able to rip a dvd audio to 5.1 .wav files with that program. The only other success I've had ripping that dvd ripped it as one big file with all the tracks as one track. It seems like I am always downloading programs trying to find one that will rip Dvd audio or BR audio....

Travis

ellisr63 likes this.
post #767 of 855 Old 07-18-16, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
RF Guy wrote: View Post
Thanks for the software tip Ron!! I was able to rip a dvd audio to 5.1 .wav files with that program. The only other success I've had ripping that dvd ripped it as one big file with all the tracks as one track. It seems like I am always downloading programs trying to find one that will rip Dvd audio or BR audio....

Travis

No problem Travis. You can listen to Roger Waters-Amused to Death when you come over Tuesday night, and see how you like the 5.1 version vs the Q-Sound version..

Ron

My Home Theater

post #768 of 855 Old 07-20-16, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Yesterday a strange thing happened... I turned on the system and it sounded different. For some reason the bass seemed better in the null, so i checked my SPL to see what it was... I was hitting 115db (front row MLP)! Now what is strange is that normally we listen at -20 for serious listening, and it doesn't get above 110 from the 2nd row! You might say we raised the volume, but in fact this was at -30! It didn't sound that loud at all...it sounded about the same as when we listen at -20. I tried this on numerous disc, and the results were the same. My friend Travis came over, and I asked him to listen and see if he heard anything different...he listened for a while and comment on the bass, and sound stage. He thought it sounded better than ever and that it sounded just a bit louder than before. When I had him look at the spl meter he was shocked too. The only thing i could think of was something breaking in finally. The only new equipment in the rack is the Yamaha CX-A5100, and the DDRC-88A units, and the Yamaha has been in use since it was released. Both of the DDRC-88A boxes are also about the same age. Could it be that the Yamaha has just broken in? I have not noticed a chance in sound from break in since my Tube Pre-amp days.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #769 of 855 Old 07-20-16, 11:55 AM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Oh my goodness... Ron. Was just looking at all the pics of your room. Beautiful!!!!

As for your last post... hmmm... that kind of big change...weird. And your sub in the same position?
post #770 of 855 Old 07-20-16, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Oh my goodness... Ron. Was just looking at all the pics of your room. Beautiful!!!!

As for your last post... hmmm... that kind of big change...weird. And your sub in the same position?
Thanks Todd. My front sub is under the front stage, and the rear one is under the floor. I can't think of anything other than break in, and that sounds strange too. My friend was also stumped as to why the drastic change... He thought I had re-tuned the room! Our null was right where the MLP is, and now the null is in front of the MLP! How could it change?

Ron

My Home Theater