Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 79 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #781 of 855 Old 08-11-16, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

I just unpacked the Pioneer literally 10 minutes ago, and I am ripping my first SACD! It is so simple.

All I did was:
1: Unzip the files.

2: Copy the files per the instructions to 2 locations.
A: One folder goes to a formatted USB stick.
B: One folder goes to a HDD on your PC or LAN at the root level.

3: Use notepad to edit the IP address (this is in the folder on your HDD...I looked at what it was defaulting to in the script file, and then made that the IP address in the Pioneer).

4: I disabled autoplay on the Pioneer, selected Bitstream over HDMI (to allow DSD playback with my Yamaha).

5: Insert the USB stick you prepared, and turn the player (in my case the pioneer) off.

6: Turn the player on, and wait for the cd tray to open.

7: Insert the SACD you want to rip when the tray opens, and then close the tray.

8: Wait for the player to say SACD on the display.

9: Go into Windows and open Command Prompt, and change the drive to your drive with the desired folder (the SACD folder you put on the HDD), and type "sacd.cmd".

10: if all goes well you should start ripping your SACD in a few seconds. Mine is ripping at about 2.67MB/sec.

11: This will leave you with an ISO. You can either use the ISO or rip the ISO to a multi track .wav, or .flac file.

12. Sit down and enjoy your ripped SACD.

I started to rip the SACD when I started to write the instructions, and it was an ISO by the time i had the first 12 steps written. Now to rip the ISO to a FLAC.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 855 Old 08-11-16, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Update: I downloaded iso2dsd, and directed it to the correct folder where the iso was (it goes to the hdd folder with the SACD extractor file), and in about a minute it was a DSD file.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #783 of 855 Old 08-17-16, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I found a nice piece of software for tagging your songs if you have cue file, and you ripped the whole disc to a single file...this software rips the file to multiple files, and inserts the song info too.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #784 of 855 Old 08-18-16, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Last night I played a SACD disc that turned out to be awesome! I have only listened to the first song so far, but it is great! The SACD is The Charlie Byrd Trio with special guest Ken Peplowski - The Bossa Nova Years. So far I have only listened to the first track, but it is one of my best songs so far of all my SACDs.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #785 of 855 Old 08-28-16, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

If you like Frampton...you will love "Frampton Comes Alive" on SACD! I had thought the new Roger Waters album was good...until I got a hold of the SACD of "Frampton Comes Alive"! It is crystal clear unlike most 70-80s music I have in my collection.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #786 of 855 Old 09-04-16, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Ever since we set the room up I have been questioning the front 3 speakers alignment (we had aligned them with a tape measure, and a flashlight pointed down the throat)...today I put a Bosch GLM-15 laser on each speaker to see how they were aligned (I made a little wooden L shaped stand with an angle on the bottom to sit on the flare of the horn, and the Bosch taped to the bottom of the stand). When we did it the first time we did it from the MLP (mistake), and today I did it from the slot on the horn. The differences were dramatic(I am embarrassed on how far we were off)! I ended up moving the MLP to the right by over a foot,and then re aligning the left speaker a good portion, and the right a little bit. I then checked the distances from the MLP, and from the horn... I found my distances were within a couple of inches for the left and right, but the front channel is off by 2' (this is because the center is aligned to the screen vs an arc). I was going to move the horn back, but I noticed the bass bin can't go back any at all, so I decided to leave the center where it is (I didn't want to have to change the delays on the center to match the horn being 2' further back, as this would mean the delays would not be the same for the front 3 channels). This will allow me to tune the room much better as it will be a single full range box per channel vs a 4'x4' pie shaped bass bin and a 3'x3' horn on top of it. It also should get me down to 40Hz before the sub.

I will re run Dirac later as it sounds much better already, and I am going to be trying to make some new speakers for the front 3 channels pretty soon. These will be similar to the Danley SH-50 speakers, but made out of wood, and the horns will be the size of the Klipsch 401s. We will then have either 2 or 4 15" woofers inside of each box Unity style.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #787 of 855 Old 09-25-16, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Last night I re ran Dirac for the front row MLP, and I have to say that watching Captain America Civil War sounded even better than I recall it sounding before! The EQ I have now is great for movies with plenty of bass, but I am not sure I am happy with the Stereo though...I seem to have lost a bit of clarity, but I believe I have better dynamics this time.

What I changed this time was:
In Dirac you lower both volume bars to zero, and then raise the upper bar until you get to 24...this time I raised it until I could see the bar, and then lowered it until it just disappeared, this is at -36db. Then I raised the lower bar until I got to the middle of the green area. One thing I noticed immediately was that when Dirac is calibrating, the display line is very thin, but in the past it was a thick line. I had read that by doing it this way the dynamic would improve, and I believe they have.

Hopefully sometime this week I will have time to run Dirac again, and see if different settings will get it even better.

BTW: If you haven't tried SACDs you don't know what you are missing! I have been picking them up whenever I see one I want, and in general they are reference quality audio. Some of the old ones are so so, but still better than the original, and some of them are must have!
Lumen likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #788 of 855 Old 09-29-16, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I had some friends over since the new tune, and the consensus is that it is a great tune. I am not 100% happy with the bass or the midrange as something seems to me to be a little off. At times I think the bass is a little one note like and the mids seem to be down a little in level. At other times I am actually hearing instruments that I have not heard before (lower level). To be honest the most recent tune was a one position tune and that is where the clarity seemed to be the best ever in my setup. In general it is a great tune, but I will try this time a close pattern for the mic instead of over 3 seats, and see if that brings back what I think I am missing. Great thing about the Dirac is you can save up to 4 settings, and switch between them.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #789 of 855 Old 11-28-16, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I have one of my new speaker getting close to completion now. If you check out my Synergy thread you will see the progress. I will post completed pics there and here when it is done. Hopefully these new speakers will allow me to replace my Horns, and Bass Bins.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #790 of 855 Old 12-07-16, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

We will have a delay until after the holidays in getting the first Synergy DIY completed. I will post up pics when we start to work on it again.

Ron

My Home Theater