Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

43Likes

post #81 of 856 Old 02-12-14, 09:14 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: My retirement Home Theater

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Ok, got it... What do you do if you want to use a mini fridge then? I was planning on having the fridge, microwave, and seating on a separate circuit.
No chance of putting it in a different space? I do not think it has to do with what breaker it is on - it has to do with the hum of the power draw. I admit to being not 100% on this - I just remember several discussion concerning REW plots where people were seeing a hump at 60 Hz and someone suggesting it had to do with a fridge.

That said, make it a space you want to spend loads of time in - just remember if you do readings and see a hump at 60 Hz, that may be the cause.

Quote:
Gotcha... Would it be ok to make a soffit that was at an angle, and came out about 2-3',maybe at a 45 degree angle so I could mount my surrounds in it too?
I forget - are you doing in ceiling surrounds?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 856 Old 02-12-14, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
No chance of putting it in a different space? I do not think it has to do with what breaker it is on - it has to do with the hum of the power draw. I admit to being not 100% on this - I just remember several discussion concerning REW plots where people were seeing a hump at 60 Hz and someone suggesting it had to do with a fridge.

That said, make it a space you want to spend loads of time in - just remember if you do readings and see a hump at 60 Hz, that may be the cause.

I forget - are you doing in ceiling surrounds?
Won't the fridge cause the same hump even if it is in another room then? I might be able to install it in the hallway by cutting a hole in the wall...

No, I will be mounting the Klipsch HIPs up by the ceiling and angling them toward the listening area. I could mount them lower and have them firing straight out if that would be better. I have also thought about doing a star ceiling in the center of the room.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #83 of 856 Old 02-12-14, 09:40 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Make sure all of your HT equipment is on one 110v leg of the panel. Put the fridge on the other leg. That will help some with the noise in the lines. Not going to completely eliminate it but it will help.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #84 of 856 Old 02-12-14, 09:48 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Gotcha... Would it be ok to make a soffit that was at an angle, and came out about 2-3',maybe at a 45 degree angle so I could mount my surrounds in it too?
From what I've read I don't think it's good acoustically to have angled soffits. I've seen people mount angled speakers in a soffit like this.

post #85 of 856 Old 02-12-14, 09:53 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
I do not think it has to do with what breaker it is on - it has to do with the hum of the power draw. I admit to being not 100% on this - I just remember several discussion concerning REW plots where people were seeing a hump at 60 Hz and someone suggesting it had to do with a fridge.
Every fridge I've ever been around makes a low hum, especially noticeable with mini-fridges. The worst part while watching a movie is that they aren't consistent. They click on and off as needed to maintain the temperature. I'd love to have a mini-fridge in my theater but there's no way I'm going to bring something in the room that makes a hum like that when I've done so much work and spent so much money on keeping all the other sounds of the house out.

post #86 of 856 Old 02-12-14, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
MrAngles wrote: View Post
From what I've read I don't think it's good acoustically to have angled soffits. I've seen people mount angled speakers in a soffit like this.
That is where I got the idea... I just figured that by continuing the angle it would help with the sound wave of the speakers. Wouldn't it be just like having a attic home theater with angled walls?

I was thinking of just how the sound panels are in this pic... I would just make it a sofit and with the acoustic treatment built into to the soffit. Douse this make sense? Would this be ok?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #87 of 856 Old 02-12-14, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
Every fridge I've ever been around makes a low hum, especially noticeable with mini-fridges. The worst part while watching a movie is that they aren't consistent. They click on and off as needed to maintain the temperature. I'd love to have a mini-fridge in my theater but there's no way I'm going to bring something in the room that makes a hum like that when I've done so much work and spent so much money on keeping all the other sounds of the house out.
I will look and see if it would be possible to put it in the hallway sunk into a wall then... I will do the same for the microwave then.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #88 of 856 Old 02-12-14, 10:03 AM
Senior Shackster

This isn't my area of expertise, but I think if you are covering them in fabric instead of finishing them with drywall having angled soffits should be just fine. I'm not sure how that could work with lighting in the soffits though.

post #89 of 856 Old 02-12-14, 10:07 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
I will look and see if it would be possible to put it in the hallway sunk into a wall then... I will do the same for the microwave then.
That's my plan too, there should be room for stuff like that in the office around the corner from the theater room, so at least I won't have to run upstairs every time I want a drink.

post #90 of 856 Old 02-12-14, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
This isn't my area of expertise, but I think if you are covering them in fabric instead of finishing them with drywall having angled soffits should be just fine. I'm not sure how that could work with lighting in the soffits though.
I was thinking that the bottom of the soffit could be a flat box that would have my recessed LED lights in it and then there would be a cavity that angled up toward the ceiling that would house my speakers and bass traps, etc. The soffit would basically be nothing but a space frame type of construction with a sealed box running around the perimeter of the room and housing the lighting. I am also thinking of making the walls with curved acoustic panels wrapped in fabric, and maybe some acoustic panels hanging from the ceiling too.

Ron

My Home Theater