Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Ellis Family Retirement HT: Go big or go home

Tags
retirement
126K views 855 replies 38 participants last post by  NBPk402 
#1 ·
In about a month I plan on breaking ground on starting to convert our 2 car garage to a dedicated home theater. The garage is already dry walled and we will be ripping out the drywall on the walls and ceiling to see what we have to work with. The garage is 23' 4" long, 19' wide with a 9' ceiling. We have a door on the backside of the garage that leads out to our pond, a water heater, and furnace are in the wall right next to the door, and these need to be taken into consideration for the dimensions of the theater.

We will be extending the front of the garage out 5' to enclose our front channel speakers (3 La Scalas (heavily modified) , 2 Heresy HIPs and 1 of 2 Danley DTS-10 subs).. The goal is to hit 115db @ 10hz with a low power amp. I am trying to cut down our electricity bill as much as possible so a friend of mine is building me a 10 channel "D" class chip amp that will put out no more than 30wpc... Since all my speakers are 98 db or greater efficiency I figure this should be more than enough power to listen at reference levels.

The walls will be built as a double 2x4 wall with fiberglass insulation, OSB, and 2-3 layers of sheet rock with green glue. The ceiling will be 2 layers of sheet rock and maybe OSB if the ceiling can support the added weight of the OSB. Making the room as quiet as possible is a must as it is right below our Master Bedroom and I like to watch movies late at night.

We will be running 12 gauge Monoprice cable in conduit for all 9 channels. We are using Monoprice Redmere cables for all HDMI. The equipment rack location will be on the same wall as the Heater and water heater.

Are the room dimensions good for a HT or could they be reduced in some areas to get a better setup?

I will try and get some drawings up so this setup will make more sense. Any suggestions are welcome as I want to do this right the first time.

Parts list:
USB electrical outlets for power recliners
5/8" drywall (2 layers)
Green Glue 5 gallon buckets

Specs:
walls 24" on center

Finished pics...

Looking from the HT to the pond entrance.

Looking from the HT entrance to the Skimmer.

Entrance to the HT.

Here you can see the door.

New seats. (have been moved to the front row)

We now have our HT door sign temp mounted (it will be flush mounted soon). I also have a Panamorph UH-480 lense arriving next week. I am hoping I can get more brightness, and not have to worry about changing aspect ratios in some movies.

Daytime...

Night time (color is different as it is set to randomly change the LED colors)...

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: My retirement Home Theater

That sounds wonderful, I hope you can keep us updated with photos and airplane tickets.
Oh and if you need a nice safe home for the Klipsch, my hand is in the air !!

Reactions: NBPk402
#3 ·

That sounds wonderful, I hope you can keep us updated with photos and airplane tickets.
Oh and if you need a nice safe home for the Klipsch, my hand is in the air !!
I shopped very carefully and I only have $900 invested in 3 La Scalas, $500 for 2 Heresy HIPs, $800 for 2 KP3002, and 2 HPS SR70s (I have 2 more HIPs lined up for another $500). I am currently modding the La Scalas with Faital horns, drivers and Bob Crites crossovers... Cabinets have had the top portion cut off so the horn and crossover will be visible from the top, and sides with the horn to suspended from the top of the bass bin.

#4 ·

I have been wanting a nice set of Klipsch, there are days when I just want to be engulfed by the power and the glory of a speaker that can change on a dime and provide the needed air movement to make me smile. I have heard a good number of the heritage series but not a Heresy, but I did hear a less stunning set at a friends home the other day, KLF-10's and while they had some issues, the feel of music pouring over me is unforgettable. I have not found any for sale near me, but maybe one day....maybe even the KLF-30's...or well who knows what will come up.

Hope you enjoy !!

#5 ·

I have been wanting a nice set of Klipsch, there are days when I just want to be engulfed by the power and the glory of a speaker that can change on a dime and provide the needed air movement to make me smile. I have heard a good number of the heritage series but not a Heresy, but I did hear a less stunning set at a friends home the other day, KLF-10's and while they had some issues, the feel of music pouring over me is unforgettable. I have not found any for sale near me, but maybe one day....maybe even the KLF-30's...or well who knows what will come up.

Hope you enjoy !!

99% of the time I am not even using 1wpch to watch movies and they are sounding great!
I am assuming these are not close enough for you... http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/4290837735.html

#6 ·

Wow Ron, how did you find those so fast ??
I have never used craigslist, good to know and yes St. Louis is an hour and a half from me, not too far at all.
I will send a message now.

Thank You

#7 ·

Wow Ron, how did you find those so fast ??
I have never used craigslist, good to know and yes St. Louis is an hour and a half from me, not too far at all.
I will send a message now.

Thank You
They were posted earlier today in another forum... When you mentioned it I grabbed the link. They appear to be a steal.

#10 ·

Ron,

I would take a close look at Sonnie's entryway setup - his is designed much the same way you are explaining. If you can manage the same double door configuration, I would do that too - it really makes a difference in my opinion.
Thanks, will do. :T

#9 ·

Sounds like someone has lined up some work to do in the coming months. Look forward to watching the build come together.

#11 ·

I looked at Sonnies hallway, and it is like I was planning... I am not sure if I can also put a double door into the theater though. If I can I definitely will though. :T

#12 ·

I wouldn't worry about splaying the walls. By the time you address the other items in the garage, you'd be making the front of the theater very very narrow.

#14 ·

So 4 layers overall? Well, that would certainly be a ton of mass but not sure the ceiling would tolerate that kind of weight - not to mention making outlets, doors, etc. fun...

#15 ·

So 4 layers overall? Well, that would certainly be a ton of mass but not sure the ceiling would tolerate that kind of weight - not to mention making outlets, doors, etc. fun...
There will only be one door leading into the theater, so I was thinking of one door per 2x4 wall (double 2x4 wall). Would 3 layers of sheet rock plus OSB be too much for the walls? What should I do about the ceiling?

#16 ·

OSB plus 2 layers with Green Glue woud be about the max I would do on any single wall. Think you're firmly in diminishing returns territory. Ceiling with appropriate clips and channel can support 3 layers of drywall.

#17 ·

OSB plus 2 layers with Green Glue woud be about the max I would do on any single wall. Think you're firmly in diminishing returns territory. Ceiling with appropriate clips and channel can support 3 layers of drywall.
Should I do that on both sides of the hall way wall that we are making as a double stud?

#19 ·

If you want but not really sure you need ALL of that. Maybe just double on the outer portion.
Theater side... OSB, sheet rock, sheet rock with green glue
Hall side Sheet rock only or OSB and sheet rock?

#20 ·

Up to you - 2 layers of something with GG between them. The only reason people use OSB is to always have a mounting point if they want to hang something.

#21 ·

Up to you - 2 layers of something with GG between them. The only reason people use OSB is to always have a mounting point if they want to hang something.
So 2 layers of sheet rock on each side of the wall with green glue should be all I need... No OSB unless I want to hang something, or did you just mean for the hallway side?

#22 ·

Either - up to you. I'm saying 2 is good on the hall side - both being drywall unless you want to hang something. On the inside, 3 layers with 2 layers of GG is a definite improvement in isolation - can make 1 layer OSB if desired.

#23 ·

Normally when you seal electrical boxes it is sealed from the rear correct? Does anyone make a box that you could use and seal it from the front? I ask this because if we make a second wall next to the existing wall I will only have a inch or 2 to access the electrical boxes.

#24 ·

Nice - subscribed!! Looking forward to this build. Someday I'm hoping to turn our 2-car garage into our dedicated media room. I'll be nice to see you build and challenges. Please keep us posted during this build and share what works and how to over come obstacles (which come with any challenge like you are undertaking).

Congrats by the way on the equipment and the opportunity to do this!

#26 ·

Build an MDF box that attaches to the studs and the face will be flush with the drywall.
Do I make this box to replace the standard outlet box or is it made so the electrical box fits inside it?

#28 ·

electrical box fits inside. Just 1 hole in the MDF box for the romex, then caulk that
Thanks for the help... i don't want to sound stupid, but I want to make sure I understand everything correctly rather than half understanding and doing it wrong. :T

#32 ·

Ron, I just realized who you are. Good to see another Klispcher over here. Subscribed to follow your build. One thing I will say about these Theater rooms, is it seems to be 85% or more designing and trying things that actually work rather then actually building. I think if we could all have a very simple concept we could just build it and be down in a couple of weeks. But it sounds like we all want the most we can get out of our space which forces us to push the envelope. I love it, can't wait to see how yours turns out.

#33 ·

Ron, I just realized who you are. Good to see another Klispcher over here. Subscribed to follow your build. One thing I will say about these Theater rooms, is it seems to be 85% or more designing and trying things that actually work rather then actually building. I think if we could all have a very simple concept we could just build it and be down in a couple of weeks. But it sounds like we all want the most we can get out of our space which forces us to push the envelope. I love it, can't wait to see how yours turns out.
Nice to see you over here too. :T

Well I keep looking at the IB setups and then the TubaHD and the THSPUD and I am unsure of which way to go. The TubaHD and THSPUD both look very easy to build and look like I can get the output I want with little power and inexpensively (If I build them). In March I am heading over to hear a setup that has some THSPUDs... I will definitely decide once I hear some.

#35 ·

If I had a space I could use, I would give the IB a try. Then again I am not worried about sound traveling through the house. Since I don't have a lot of space for a big foot print sub, I am going to build a couple of thspud's myself. Good luck with your decision I know its tough to make sometimes.

#36 ·

Another option if you want some nice quick subs is Rythmik. They have servo controlled sealed subs that are fast enough to keep up with Magnepans.

#37 ·

Well I will be getting 2 DTS-10 subs for the theater to replace the Triax since I will need more subs for the room, and I can't afford to buy another Triax plus I am trying to conserve electricity so this setup will be more efficient and use smaller amps to do the job.

I did a rough draft of what I think the layout will be...

11.2 setup, and all the speakers are shown in their proposed locations except for the height channels.

The speakers will be as follows:
Klipsch La Scalas for L+C+R
Klipsch Heresy Industrials HIPs for Heights
Klipsch Pro KP3002 for width
Klipsch Heresy Industrial HIPs for side surrounds
SR-70s for rear surrounds

The Theater is 23' long , 15' wide, with a 8' ceiling
The main listening position is 13' from the screen which is just over 11' wide, and will go floor to ceiling with black AT fabric panels to frame it out.

The area behind the screen is 5'x19', and has all the front channels (5), and the 2 subs plus the equipment rack. This room will be accessed through a access panel in the hallway due to stairs being built in the hallway to enter the house.

The wall on the left will be built for a hallway that will lead to our pond and also to the house... All the doors will be solid core doors plus there will be a solid core door leading into the theater.

The back row will be 4' from the rear wall, and all seats will be power recliners from Costco which are designed to be flush with the wall and scoot forward when reclining. I have left 6' spacing between the 1st and 2nd row for walking. The seats when fully reclined take 5' but I don't anticipate anyone fully reclining while watching a movie... If they do it will be tight to get around them.

The left and right speakers are at 40 degrees from the main listening position.

The width channels are at 60 degrees (the drawing is wrong).

The side surrounds are at 132 degrees, and the rears are centered on the room 5' apart (inside edge to inside edge)

The wall to the left will be a 2x6 staggered stud wall. All the other walls will have a 2nd 2x4 single wall added or a 2x6 staggered wall flush to the current finished wall.
The hallway is being built to:
1. Conceal the water heater and furnace
2. To provide a air cavity to improve noise isolation
4. to allow one door opening into the theater instead of 2 (pond entry, and house entry)

Walls will have 1 layer OSB (so panels can be attached for decorations) and 2 layers sheet rock with green glue. Ceiling will get 1/4" foam- GG- sheet rock- fiberglass insulation between the joists and then 2-3 layers of sheet rock with GG between them.

The floor is currently cement so it will get rubber underlayment for moisture protection, a 2x4 sub floor (2x4s on their sides 2" is the height side) with OSB tongue and groove plywood on top of that.

Behind the last row will be a very small bar (if 4' from the rear of the back row seats to the rear wall is enough room).

All lighting will be LED spots. I will also put lighting in the area behind the screen that will light up before a movie starts to see the speakers (like Imax does). There will be some sort of LED lighting for the walk ways too, plus an exit sign above the exit.

Well how does that sound? Any suggestions? Am I forgetting anything? I want to get most of this all ironed out before we break ground on this project. As I said before this is all proposed and not final. The only final decisions are the speakers, and seats as we already have the speakers, and 2 of the 6 seats.

For the screen I am looking at a Seymour AT screen and if the BenQ can handle it for the time being it will get the job although I will need to eventually move it to our MB for the 134" fixed screen we are currently using in our family room.

#38 ·

Here is another question... When I am calculating the room length do I include the area behind the screen?

#40 ·

is the screen wall solid other than the AT Screen? Should be if at all possible. If solid other than the screen, you'll have resonances from the pseudo-cavity and have 2 sets of length modes to deal with.

#42 ·

is the screen wall solid other than the AT Screen? Should be if at all possible. If solid other than the screen, you'll have resonances from the pseudo-cavity and have 2 sets of length modes to deal with.
I was planning on having a 2x4 frame structure for the wall with it all being open... This would be for the 15' part only though as the hallway end wall would be solid (so on the left there is a cavity ). I was thinking of using acoustic treatment on the whole cavity to make it dead. What do you suggest?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.