What would you have done differently - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 13 Old 07-03-06, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Williamson
What would you have done differently

Please post all the things you wished you had hind sight on when you put together your home theatre set up. It can be anything from wrong room to wrong colour, or choice of equipment.

Hopefully, everyone can learn from other people's mistakes, cheaper that way

Might even make it as my first sticky.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 13 Old 07-03-06, 09:48 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System
Re: What would you have done differently

This could indeed turn out to be a good one and worthy of a sticky.

I'd say my first and foremost mistake was not going ahead and taking advantage of my entire garage. My wife had actually okay'd it, but I felt like 1/2 was enough. This is not necessarily to have more seating space as much as I believe I could have improved on acoustics with the proper size and shape room. I can live with what I have for now, but it would have been nice to build it to recommended specs the first time around.

I just learned about color selection... or should I say still learning. That is more easily corrected, but it is aggravating to re-paint.

I would have ran my pipe straight up into the attic, left it open over to the projector and then ran another pipe down to the projector area. This would have made fishing wires much simpler. However minor, I would have still done it differently.

Another minor thing would be to have went ahead and built a CD case into the rear wall. I'm about to do that now, but again, much easier in the beginning. I was in too big of a hurry. I was trying to beat the Super Bowl date. Now I don't even have regular TV out there... just DVD.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #3 of 13 Old 07-03-06, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Williamson

In my last cinema set up, I wished I had never mounted the PJ directly over my seating area, loudest part of my projector was directly under the fan opening when you inverted it for ceiling mounting.

Should have sited it over rear seats instead.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-03-06, 11:08 PM
Elite Shackster

A few things:

1) I would have probably gone with Studio 20's all around -- especially in the rear. Easier to place.
2) SVS sub instead of the Paradigm PW2200 -- a good sub, but an SVS is better/cheaper. Two things that appeal to my accounting side.
3) Different TV -- either smaller or an LCD or DLP rear projection. It would just make seting up my equipment a lot easier (using the equipment stand as a tv stand)

Things I'd like to do if I were able to do whatever I want in my house:
1) Accoustic Panels -- I've been in a room that was treated properly. It was truly a relevation.
2) Better layout of my equipment -- it's so horrible right now it makes me want to cry. Absolutely no imaging whatsever. No way to fix it with the current house -- it just is what it is.

I'm sure I'll think of some more stuff later, but that's what I've got so far.

post #5 of 13 Old 07-04-06, 01:57 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

I think I would have gone separates instead of the 3805. And maybe dual SVS subs instead of my 1212-SE.

post #6 of 13 Old 07-05-06, 05:05 PM
Senior Shackster

What I would have done differently,
I would have paid someone else to do it....
post #7 of 13 Old 10-19-06, 03:49 AM
Senior Shackster

First of all I did not design my room addition to originally to be a HT but rather a pool room. It was only after I had my room blacked in that I stumbled on to the HT idea. So I had two 3X5 windows and two double french doors that I would have done without. I also made the area 15X20 I would have gone 18X24 for the extra couch and riser. Ran 4 circuits to the room but only 1 to the rack should have run 4 cirucuits to the rack. Found out the hard way about ground loop hum issues using the pro amp with the reciever. Would not have used ceramic on the floor but we have alot of allergies so I don't know what else we would use that would not be a hard surface.
Would have mounted the lighting switches in a better area. Would have run a couple of more cables from the rack to the front of the room for my temporary CRT setup till the projector and screen go in. I know there are some other things in there but at 3:45 in the morning that's all I can think of.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-27-06, 07:06 PM
Send a message via AIM to khellandros66 Send a message via MSN to khellandros66

My faith in Yamaha was poor choice on my part. We have had so much success in this house with Sony; DVD Players, Receivers, Cameras, etc

My HT in my room has been down since September 20th cause my Yamaha RX-V1300 crapped on me. It been in the shop since. The trouble is they had to order part directly from Yamaha, since they are pretty much built from ground up in house by Yamaha.

Never again will I go with Yamaha, we gave my grandparents my old Pioneer VSX-D608 to replace the Kenwood one from their HTIB.. The VSX-D608 was in tha ttic for 4 years...

What else oh yeah Harman Kardon, total there, cause I bought the FL8380 in two months of owning it I sent it in cause the DAC died or something and then 1 1/2 years later it just would start skipping all over the place so screw them as well.

So the brands to stick with on my list are

post #9 of 13 Old 11-15-06, 09:47 AM
Andrew Pratt

Don't paint ceiling tiles...they're sponges and soak up too much paint that they grow in size and then don't fit properly in the railing when do try to put them back.

I should have rebuilt the common wall that divides the laundry/workshop from the theater as it rattles when the sub is pounding.

I should have run conduit to the projector to make cable runs easier.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-25-06, 12:04 PM

I should have repaint the wall ... it's white now >_< not really happy with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page