Ideal Theater size? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater Installation | Systems > Home Theater Design and Construction
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 39440 - Replies: 12  
Old 03-13-08, 02:21 AM   #1

superchad
Since: Mar 2008
ohio
I started this thread.
Ideal Theater size?

Just for fun I want to know what folks think are good size for average HT set-up, I see many theaters from very small to pretty large and I understand you have to work with space you have but am all the same curious to know what others think is ideal or even average HT size.
As a side note I have had 2 dedicated rooms and a few living room compromises, my first room was
12X16 and current room is 14X24. In a perfect world I would think a room around 18X30 would be somewhere around my dream size, able to allow seating, easy movement, proper speaker and sub placement and built in equipment rack space.......thanks for playing along!

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-08, 03:09 AM   #2
Senior Shackster

mike
Since: Apr 2006
Re: Ideal Theater size?

i think it's more of the proportion of the room dimensions than the total room size...

here are the golden ratios you should follow when designing a room from scratch:
1 : 1.14 : 1.39
1 : 1.28 : 1.54
1 : 1.6 : 2.33
H : W : D

Old 03-13-08, 02:26 PM   #3

superchad
ohio
I started this thread.

My question had nothing to do with dimension but I understand its importance, my question was more of ideal or desired size for family, entertaining and general size.

Old 03-13-08, 03:36 PM   #4
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System

Including me we have 7 people in our house. When we watch a movie and have friends over we fit nicely 12 people in our theater space that is 15'x30'
I run a 7.1 system with fairly beefy system I have no trouble maintaining at least 105db (I've sent pink noise to all 7 .1 channels at 105db without a problem).
The larger the properly treated room, the harder the system will have to work to fill it.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 03-13-08 at 04:00 PM..

Old 03-13-08, 06:17 PM   #5
Senior Shackster

mike
Since: Apr 2006

sorry, I'd make it as small as necessary. enough to fit your seats, equipment, a little space for moving around, that's it.

the bigger your room, the more amp power you need, and the more subwoofer power you need.

Old 03-13-08, 11:22 PM   #6

superchad
ohio
I started this thread.

Both are very valid post's and thats the conversation I wanted to have, hopefully others will chime in.

Old 03-16-08, 10:05 AM   #7
Banned!

Since: Sep 2006

It's all about working in the space that you have. Even if you're in the position to build, you have size constraints. In my opinion, bigger is always better (taking into account the ratios).

Old 03-16-08, 12:31 PM   #8
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA

The bigger the room the better you can produce deep base, the better you can avoid acoustical problems, and the more likely you are to avoid installation issues with displays. Go as big as you can, like eugo says, with some attention to the dimensions. Need more power, bigger displays, etc? Of course. Is that a bad thing? This is supposed to be FUN!

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 04-03-08, 06:39 AM   #9
Shackster

Maikel
Since: Jan 2008
Arnhem, The Netherlands

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
The bigger the room the better you can produce deep base, the better you can avoid acoustical problems, and the more likely you are to avoid installation issues with displays. Go as big as you can, like eugo says, with some attention to the dimensions. Need more power, bigger displays, etc? Of course. Is that a bad thing? This is supposed to be FUN!
Agree.

The best room for avoiding acoustical problems is probably no room at all.... Especially the bass frequencys need a lot of "air" to breath. But also higher frequencys will benefit. I am sure some readers will have experimented with ouside viewing and listening and may confirm on this.

Back to the ideal room size I would suggest:

1. Take the biggest room in the house you can find that comes close to the ideal proportions, then,
2. Determine how big you want your cinema to be (screen size and number of seats),
3. Hang the screen in the middle of the room and position speakers and seats around it.

Just some thoughts...

Maikel.

Old 04-03-08, 08:23 AM   #10
Senior Shackster

Doug
Since: Jan 2008
Juliette, GA

Using the ratio of 1 : 1.6 : 2.33, my 9 x15.5x18.5 HT comes pretty close to the ideal 9x14.4x20.97. I think ideal for me would be 12x20x28. It would be nice to seat 12 comfortably at close to the sweet spot. That size room would probably take an order of magnitude higher hardware; bigger projector, larger screen, several subs, big speakers, big amps.

We will rarely have more than six in the HT, with usually just us two with maybe two friends. The nice thing about the size we ended up with is that calculations work out pretty well. I've read ideal seating it 2/3 back in the room, which will be 12'. A good sized screen for that viewing distance is 8' wide, which is easy to construct using commonly available materials. I did some rough viewing tests in the empty space. I was origanally aiming for a 120" diagonal screen, but with my projector and my vision (20/15 corrected), I could see pixels. I zoomed in to the largest image where pixellation didn't bother me and measured. The width worked out to be: 8'!

The room volume is small enough to be filled with good sound with reasonable sized speakers and amps. I wish I could claim some deliberateness in choosing this size, but it was just the size of the unfinished area in the basement that was most logical for a HT.

Perhaps my needs or modest, or more likely I'm cheap. As much as I think we'll enjoy the HT, I can't justify in my mind spending tens of thousands of dollars on a HT. Given all that, looks like our HT will be an ideal size for us.

Doug

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater Installation | Systems > Home Theater Design and Construction »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »