Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Goon's theater

Tags
goon theater
12K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Machismo 
#1 ·
Here's what I have in my system in no particular order...

Guts:
Panasonic VCR.. yeah baby!
Denon AVR-5700 Receiver
Panasonic DVDRP-91 dvd player
Parasound Halo A52 amplifier for mains
Behringer 2500 amp for subs

Speakers:
M&K S-5000thx LCR
M&K SS-500thx dipole surround
M&K SS-150thx surround back (kind of..behind the couch same signal as mains)
DIY dual sonosubs - 15TC1000

"TV":
Panasonic PT-AE700 projector
DIY 101" screen

Other:
Monster Power 3600 for the cool amp meter :)
Monster Z-series cabling around..... I know....
PS2
Motorola dvr hd cable box - love the dvr!
Behringer Feedback Destroyer for the subs
Auralex acoustic room treatments

The Room
Basement of a rental while in school. Shared with 3 other roommates and can't wait to graduate!

sorry for the bad photostitch..

That's it for a while. Eventually I'd like to build a dedicated room and update both the audio and video sides to handle hd-dvd and blue ray. By far the biggest improvement I've made to this system was the addition of the LLT subs. I love them!

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks! It really is a lot of fun. Believe it or not I've slowly ammassed all of this stuff over a few years and I don't owe a dime on it. The DIY screen is just the blackout cloth can you buy at just about any fabric store. It is really stretchy and strong. I've been happy with it so far but eventually I'd like to paint it with screen goo or something. And the cinderblocks are awesome. No worries for acoustic resonance or tipovers with the dogs.... seriously I used them as a temp setup after I bought the 50lb S-5000's and have intended to build something real but.......

#5 ·
Help me out with the cinder blocks! Are you serious about their audio properties?

If so, that would be an inelegant solution for my center speaker (though they could be covered with black fabric, couldn't they? :daydream:

Anyway, great equipment! I'd love to hear what you're hearing (M&K is a long-time favorite of mine--too sad they went under, eh?).

Thanks for any insight on the acoustical properties of cinder blocks!

--Phil

#6 ·
My understanding is that cement is non-resonant and obviously very dense. Cinderblocks are a great way to decouple your speakers from your floor, and unlike wood or metal, won't vibrate at certain frequencies.

You've heard of people filling wod or metal stands with sand? That's all a cinderblock is.

#8 ·
Re: Cinder blocks!

Great reply--I appreciate your information.

So, to understand correctly, the larger footprint of the cinder blocks contributes to a less clear, bigger(?) sound? vs. smaller footprint stands produces clearer, thinnner sounds?

The only place I was thinking of using them was for my center channel--what would you think?

The LR are floorstanders and the rest of the surrounds are wall-mounted di-poles.

Thanks for the help!:clap:

#9 ·
Re: Cinder blocks!

In principal if you bind a speaker to something super heavy, it should stop the enclosure from moving (vibrating) as much. This gives the woofer a solid platform to push in and out and not wobble back and forth minutely. Some speakers, like Von Schweikert or Wharfedale, say that filling the base with sand or lead shot will improve the speakers performance.

The added density of the base also helps disapate vibrations from the speaker, and from the floor coming back into the speaker. Spikes can also server that purpose and add to the stands rigidness to stick to the floor and not move.

Concrete is nice and dense, so is hardwood, stone, steel, or tubular steel filled with lead shot or sand. Concete blocks being the least expensive solution.

If you wanted something more appealing and like the concrete idea you buy a bag of premixed cement (with sand and gravel), mix it up and pour it into a mold. You could use a sonotube cut to the right size, a mold made out of wood, or a thick waxed cardboard produce box from a grocery store. After it has cured for a day or so you take the mold off and file down any imperfections. Other option are to get a slab of granite, limestone or marble cut to size, or take some tiles, make a box and fill it with sand or cement.

#13 · (Edited)
I thought I had wonky one for moment. :1eye::D Then realized it’s patched together still it’s not bad.

Concrete blocks! Cheap and effective!

You need to get the all three behind the screen at the same height level.

I know your lose a bit of space at the front but I’ve been inside cinemas that are far smaller or about the same size.

Move the screen forwards build base platform out of timber extending the entire width of the front to stand the LCR on and within the screen width area as that is where the onscreen action takes place on.

Place black masking on the sides of front and top and bottom just like cinema.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.