Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Anamorphic Projection Theaters

52K views 67 replies 20 participants last post by  tbase1 
#1 ·
This thread is for all members who have Constant Image Height projection, to show off their theatres..
I'm sure there are few out there, so lets have a look (just out of interest) at what your set up is like..

Information like..

Room size..
Screen size (as in width)
Projector..
Lens..
Seating distance etc..

This information will also help those who are contenplating the move to Anamorphic Projection..

A few shots showing your room and front screen, your projector and lens and just two or three screenies to cap it off would be nice..

#33 · (Edited)
I have a website with a bunch of photos of Anamorphic lens installations. I mean no commercial intent so I am trying to post a link that leaves any other links out and goes straight to the photos:

Edit:

Well, after looking at my photos link, I figured the mods would see it as advertising, so I removed it. If a mod want's to pre-approve it let me know. I think the members would like to see the samples of other's installations, but they are on a commercial site.

It's too tedious to link each picture and remove any that might be construed as commercial individually.

But here's one of my favorite installations anyway:
http://www.techht.com/photos/mike_wi-3.jpg

#38 ·
Prof said:
Are they dipoles all round?
Hi Prof, they are actually Bipole, so no chance of phase errors between speakers. I do however want to change them out for dipoles as I think dipoles will work better in the small room.

TwisterZ said:
Nice job Mark. I was just talking to my wife this weekend about redoing the lighting in the theater. Right now I'm working on moving my Denon AVR988 to the bedroom system.
Thanks TwisterZ. The lighting is the most simple and cost effect thing I could find. It is just an LED rope light, yet works well to provide low level ambient light.

#39 ·
Hi Prof, they are actually Bipole, so no chance of phase errors between speakers. I do however want to change them out for dipoles as I think dipoles will work better in the small room.
I have a fairly small room as well and I'm using DIY Tripoles in a 5.1 system..
They give me very good all round surround sound..

#43 ·
I took a look at the M&K tripoles a while back. The idea intrigued me, however at that stage, it would have meant a total redesign. The new surrounds will be something new, however I get to simply recycle the drivers I currently own.

7.1 is amazing, especially fully discrete stuff on BD. THX Cinema 2 processing also does a wonderful job of 5.1 and 5.1EX program.

#44 ·
Now that I have finally finished my screen wall I thought I should finally contribute to the thread.

The screen is a 130" (diagonal) scope screen, which I think is 3.03m wide x 1.28m high. It's 850mm up from the floor (740mm off the stage)

The front row sit about 3.4m back from the screen, the second row around 5.2m on a 440mm riser.

Screen wall

I'm still waiting for my projector to arrive so will post some photos and screen shots once it's all setup.

Cheers,
Simon

#51 ·
Hi All here is my DIY 2:39 130" screen sorry about the poor quality its from my mobile. when i can work out how to turn the flash off on my camera i will post a clear pic up but for now you can see the size but not the quality.

Attachments

#59 ·
On my projection system, it takes less than 30 seconds to adjust between aspect ratios. That includes adjusting the zoom control ring, vertical lens shift knob, and moving the drapes for masking. Focus is stable when zooming on my projector.

Vertical lens shift range will vary, depending on projector placement. None at all is needed if the lens is located perpendicular to the vertical center of the screen.

The wall behind the screen should be painted black or very dark. Black bars on letter boxed Blu-ray Disc movies will project onto the wall above and below the screen, which can be distracting if the black levels on the projector are not good enough.

The lower cost JVC D-ILA projector model still has excellent blacks, plenty of motorized zoom and shift range, plus lens memories. Last I checked, the less expensive Panasonic LCD projector is similarly enabled. The Epson line may also include a candidate.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

#57 ·
When you manually change AR's, you would select 2.35 on your remote ( if you're changing from 16:9) and manually zoom the image to fill the screen..and sometimes you may need to refocus..and it's not always easy to just fill the screen and not lose some of the outer image onto the borders..
Generally it's a pain..and particularly if you need to change from 16:9 to 2.35 and back to 16:9 AR during a movie night..

There are more and more projector makes that are now including auto AR's..My last projector has that facility and I'm now able to do away with the anamorphic lens..

#60 ·
Room is 11'-6" x 13'-6".
Have a 9' wide 2.40 curved AT masking screen with Screen Excellence EN4K fabric.
Projector is Sony VW600ES
A-lens is Prismasonic HD6000 with powered slide
Viewing distance is 9'-6"
Room has black walls, black ceiling and black floor. Have black velvet curtains from floor to ceiling on side walls from screen wall to seating. Will see about hunting up pictures later, since the pictures are stored on another computer.

#64 ·
I have a Panamorph UH-480 lens and a Panasonic ae8000 projector. I am trying to figure out for a 150" 16x9 image if i am better off putting the projector as close as possible to the screen or leave it on my back wall shelf which is about 19' from the screen.

I am also thinking of making a sled that would allow me to adjust the projector distance...using 2 linear slide 6' long tracks, and 4 bearings. These would run from the rear wall 6' toward the screen, so I could even get a different projector down the road without having to drill more holes in our ceiling. Once the rails are installed I would attach a plate to the bearings and mount a short piece of pipe to suspend the projector a few inches (or use a thick platform). I would then add 4 more bearings and run a pair of 2' long rails running parallel to the screen for mounting the lens. By doing this I could slide the lens out of the way too. The advantage I have now with the lens is I can go from 180" diagonal (scope) without the lens to 195" diagonal (scope) with the lens. Last night i watched Avatar with the lens mounted on a shelf, and I was blown away with the clarity, and the additional 15" of image.

How does this sound...good idea or not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.