Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Anamorphic Projection Theaters

52K views 67 replies 20 participants last post by  tbase1 
#1 ·
This thread is for all members who have Constant Image Height projection, to show off their theatres..
I'm sure there are few out there, so lets have a look (just out of interest) at what your set up is like..

Information like..

Room size..
Screen size (as in width)
Projector..
Lens..
Seating distance etc..

This information will also help those who are contenplating the move to Anamorphic Projection..

A few shots showing your room and front screen, your projector and lens and just two or three screenies to cap it off would be nice..

#2 ·
I can't post in this thread :sarcastic:

#3 ·
I might as well go first :D

Screen: I have a Curved AT 2.37:1 screen 2250mm x 949mm. The curve is adjustable to optimize for pincushion correction.

The LCR speakers are positioned in the same horizontal plain with their cabnet tops at the centre of the screen line of the screen and where the L and R are just inside the 1.78:1 area. I did this so that the sound to image match would work for all ARs and not just Scope. Also real cinemas and dubbing stages have their L/R speakers there too, so I now hear what they heard.

The screen height si currently 600mm off the floor, but I would like to raise it to at least 800mm, maybe 900mm.
Projector: BenqW5000 with CAVX Aussiemorphic Lens (yes I have prototype MKIII in testing now). The projector is 1920 x 1080 DLP and delivers a spectular image.

Source: HD DVD via a Note Book PC over HDMI.

Seating distance: 2 rows where front row is just 2x the image height. Close but this really works well with a 1080 projector. Back row is just over 3x the image height and is elevated 300mm.

Other Audio: THX 7.1 processed DD and DTS. I use 3 identical LCRs with controlled Vertical directivity and 4 Identical Surrounds (Bipole) and a pair of Subs using Peerless XLS drivers...

Mark

#4 ·
Thanks Mark..

The screen height si currently 600mm off the floor, but I would like to raise it to at least 800mm, maybe 900mm.
That is quite low..although I bet you get a real sensation of being in the picture, particularly in scenes like SW2..when their flying through the valley, and you're looking through the cockpit window as the landscape is rushing towards you..and when Anakin is flying across the desert on his bike..I find that very real on my screen and mine is 750mm. off the floor!

Mark, I haven't seen your new theatre, so how about some pics?
Also some screenshots please..

#9 ·
Well I finally managed to get the camera to produce more accurate colours in the theatre pics., so here are my theatre details..

My theatre is fairly small at just 10' 6" x 15', with 7' 6" ceilings, but it performs admirably..

The screen is 8' wide , which doesn't leave much room either side of the screen, so the LCR speakers are mounted above the screen..One of the advantages of CIH with generally lower screen heights..
The bottom of the screen is 750mm. above the floor..

The front row (the only row) seating is at 9' 6" from the screen wall..Although, when I have guests, I can get a couple of dining chairs on the raised platform behind the main seats..

The ceiling mounted projector is a Benq W100 DLP, fitted with an Aussiemorphic lens on a DIY slide..
The next upgrade will be to convert to an HD projector!..

So, this is what my theatre looks like, and a few screen shots to finish off..

Acoustic panels are behind the curtains on both side walls..

And so, on with the show..

Thanks for looking..

#10 ·
IMPRESSIVE PROF :clap:

#14 ·
I can't believe that of all the members here at the Shack, that Mark and I are the only ones who have Anamorphic projection!!..And whe're both Aussies!! :unbelievable::bigsmile:

So c'mon you guys from the US and Canada and other Countries...Show us what you've got..:foottap:

#15 ·
They are afraid they can't compete with your pics :bigsmile:

#17 · (Edited)
I've been scope since i completed my new HTR. However, i'm still completing the equipment end (htpc) ,but i will send pic.'s soon. The below is what I have so far by way of equipment.

DIY 8' wide scope
sanyo z4 projector
prismasonic v1000 lens
black plastic hush box
sony bdp-301 blu-ray
toshiba a30 hd-dvd
panamax power conditioner
onkyo sr-605 avr
boston 7.1 speakers system
htpc running visa (party music ,family pictures and video)
two rows for seating with lighted back platform
bistro table and four chairs in the back with over head light
drop down 22" pc wide screen monitor for surfing the net and watching movies
built in microwave ,refrig. ,and candy shelf
door switch controlled lighted theater poster
built in 6' wide saltwater fish tank
light controlled phone and door bell for those people that come late to the showing

#22 ·
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am quite interested in going the Anamorphic route but don't fully understand how it all works and the logistics of installation. Could someone point me at a decent source of information for the beginer, that explains the basic pros and cons of Anamorphic over 'normal' projection.

Thanks very much :)

Adam

#23 ·
Angeleyes,
This is a subject that is hard to expalin in a post or two, but I'm try to give some high points.

1. allot of movies are starting to come out in scope format...hence no bars on top and buttom with scope screen.
2. more use of pixel structure...hence the anamorphic lens
3. wider angle...hence more panamorphic view

There's more but i think the best place to get a real birds eye review is on panamorphic lens and prismsonic's lens web site. Of which...they are two of the most well known lens companies out there...at least for the guys that don't have allot of jack to spend on a lens.

fork485,

thanks for plugging my HTR.

#26 ·
Prof .What has happened? it has gone all quiet on this site . Well ---------- After reading all the good infomation provided on this site I have decided to have a go at cinemascope . We are moving soon to the tropical area of Australia and this will be the second theatre i have built DIY . I dont care what a lot of people say about Klipsch speakers i am taking the fantastic speakers with me, love them . I am also considering another cinemascope screen outside near the pool as when it is sticky hot at night there is nothing nicer than sitting outside . In have found a mob that sells coated optical prisms especially for cinemascope http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l9113d.html By the way Prof dont worry about the size of your HT it looks great and evidently goes fantastic . Kind regards Alan .

#27 ·
Thanks for the kind words Alan...I'm still loving that huge cinemascope image in my small theatre..:T

The forum has gone very quite..It seems that not many people are ready to venture into the Cinemascope world as yet..

We are moving soon to the tropical area of Australia and this will be the second theatre i have built DIY
How far North are you moving to?

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun, building your new theatre..:bigsmile:

I dont care what a lot of people say about Klipsch speakers i am taking the fantastic speakers with me, love them
Interesting that you should mention the Klipsch speakers..I'm considering putting them into a 16 seat DLP Cinemascope theatre that I'm designing for a friend of mine..
I think they will project the sound very nicely in a 10M. long room..

I am also considering another cinemascope screen outside near the pool as when it is sticky hot at night there is nothing nicer than sitting outside
Sounds like a "COOL" idea!!.:R

In have found a mob that sells coated optical prisms especially for cinemascope http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l9113d.html By the way Prof dont worry about the size of your HT it looks great and evidently goes fantastic ..
Alan, just be a bit wary of those prisms..They are quite small and not suitable for all projectors..
Also the back prism is smaller than the front prism and they have wider angles on the faces, compared to Mark's prisms..
You would most likely need to have a longer TR, to reduce edge distortion from such small prisms..
They look good, being coated and all..and quite reasonably priced..

If you get them, let us know how they turn out..

#29 ·
That depends on the type of lens system used...

With a lens like the Isco cylindrical lens, there is virtually no loss of image detail or image distortion..other than a slight light loss due to the projected light passing through additional optical elements..

At the other end of the scale, you have prismatic lenses (coated or non coated) which are quite thick and don't necessarily have optically true faces, which do introduce some chromatic aberrations, and an effect known as "pin cushion"..
These prism type lenses also have more effect on light output than the much more expensive types..

However..having said all that, these prismatic lenses still perform very admirably and most people use this type of lens..

You have to remember that the letterbox image that you see on the screen is not blown up as in the zoom method..(which has some inherent reduction of the light intensity that hits the screen) but is expanded vertically by the projector or processor..and then expanded horizontally by the lens..
Also, you may have noticed that the letterbox image you see on the screen is quite bright and very sharp..being a small image..so imagine that same quality image now filling your whole screen..That's what you get with an anamorphic lens...

#32 ·
Hello Mark, I have been through the DIY anamorphic thread on DIYAudio, yes all 184 pages, and have 4 wedge prisms. I haven't made the lenses yet but am finishing my 5'X12' screen and have been using the zoom on my Sony HS20 to fill the screen. So far I am very happy with the picture and am sure it will look better with the lens. I plan to do 2 lenses, 1 for horizontal stretch and 1 to compress for 4X3 material. I have my NHT speakers behind the screen and dipoles on the side with 2 more in the back for a 7.1 setup. My sub is a DIY unit 2' high & 12' wide with 2 18" drivers. It serves as the stage for my screen. My room is 16' X 25' with the sitting about 15' back from the screen. I hope to get some pictures soon.

The rest of my system
Denon AVR988
Toshiba A30 HD-DVD
Samsung BD-c5500 Blu-Ray
Behringer DCX-2496 Crossover
ADA MPA6 5.1 power amp
NTH Speakers (7 2way, and 2 10" subs used for mid bass)

#35 · (Edited)
Hello Mark, I have been through the DIY anamorphic thread on DIYAudio, yes all 184 pages, and have 4 wedge prisms.
This topic is best discussed back at DIYAudio. There is also a DIY lens thread here so I might quickly explain there.

In the past 8 months, I've also built a new HT room with full light control and thought I might share if that is OK.
Looking back toward to the projector

And the front of the room

I have also attached the link to my blog which has more pictures.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.