Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Making A DIY Anamorphic Lens

162K views 169 replies 20 participants last post by  Prof. 
#1 ·
If anyone has ever considered making their own lens, but felt it would be beyond their capabilities, this DIY article that was published sometime ago might just change your mind..

It's a very straight forward description of what's required to produce a very reasonable Anamorphic lens..
Anyone with any Carpentry skills should be able to make up the lens box..and the method of setting up the prisms is clearly explained and shown..

http://www.zuggsoft.com/theater/prism.htm

#2 ·
I'd make one of those in a heartbeat, but the picture would be wider than the room. Sure would be nice to get extra screen size with no major degradation in picture quality.

#3 ·
How wide is your room!!?
My theatre room is only 10'6" wide, but I have an 8' wide scope screen..

One of the advantages of scope screens is their low profile, which means you have more space to mount speakers above or below the screen, in narrow room situations..

#5 ·
Mike...Unfortunately no..
The only thing that affects pincushion is the throw ratio..The longer the throw ratio, the less pincushion effect..

The advantages of the larger prisms is that they can be used with a variety of projectors, and possibly help to collect maximum light output from the projector..

#6 ·
Whilst the DIY lens has tradionally being a prisms lens, it may be possible to do (more difficult and expensive, none the less) to make a DIY cylindrical.

Anyone interested in discussing this?

Mark

#9 ·
MikeP said:
You have my attention. Are there any advantages to a cylindrical lens over a prism lens?
Many, including the ability to focus, which you can not do with prisms...

atledreier said:
Definetly interested! This is intriguing. I like cheap DIY as long as it works.
No, will not be cheap...

Mark

#11 ·
No. I am having them made to my specs. I have pricing and it makes a fully corrected cylindrical lens "affordable", but ultimately not cheap - still a couple of grand...but half the price of anything currently on the market in the same class...

Mark

#13 ·
This lens will not sell like the older prism lens, and the pricing I have been given are for a 1 off only. Only time will tell if this is viable enough to mass produce, but at least I end up with a new, fully performing anamorphic lens...

Mark

#17 ·
Just about anyone can make their own lens ..
If you have any basic carpentry skills, then it's not going to be a problem..
There is plenty of information available for setting up the prisms..and a few places where you can purchase them..

Alternatively, if you don't feel that it's something you want to do yourself, there are kits available where you just do some of the assembly..And it costs a fraction of the price of a commercial lens..:T

#18 ·
I finally got my home theater up and running and now its time to start adding the fun stuff. I specifically built the screen so that I could use an anamorphic lens, but I have to admit a DIY approach is intimidating. I am sure up to try anything, but I would sure feel more comfortable if there was a step by step construction site or something. Any ideas/links? I'd also be willing to look into the kits, but I seem to be having difficulty finding them. Prof if you have those links handy I'd love to see them.

With all that being said, if I had the coin I'd be charging in after that Mark III I've read a little about on your website, Mark. :yes: But unfortunately I've used my funds to get the theater up in the first place.

The only seller I've seen for less than $1k has been Home Theater Bro's and if you get a track it comes close.

Appreciate the help in advance and let me know if you EVER have some kind of sale or discount Mark, I'll be interested :innocent:

#20 ·
Hi! I'm new to the site. I'm also looking at doing a DIY lens. I read the article on the DIY lens but it doesn't say what size prisms to use? Anyone have a guide to go by? I have a BenQ W5000 and am looking at a DIY 110" CIH 2:35:1 screen. Also he states that to get the best picture to use 4 prisms? Don't most commercial lenses use just 2?

Thanx :T

#21 ·
Well firstly..welcome to the Shack mnfish..

Ideally the prisms for a DIY lens need to be 5" x7"..This size will be suitable for most projectors..

Most commercial lenses these days are using 4 prisms plus corrective elements..
These types of lens units are beyond a DIY set up..but the 2 prism lenses do a fine job and well worth the effort..:T

#22 ·
Thanx for the Hello!!

The reason I ask about the number prisms is that 4 of them seem to do away with the rainbow affect on the outer edge of the screen? Or would it be better to have a curved screen? Is that just too much to get into for a simple home theater screen? And looking at cost of the prisms...they aren't that cheap? The ones I was looking at were $66 US each.

#26 ·
I've not posted in a while and thought some might like to see the latest developments.

The CAVX Corrector

And of course the best of the best, the MK4.

It is pretty impressive when you can see pixel structure on an AT screen.

It seems I can not attach images, so here is the link to the image I am referring to. Click on the with the word "FOCUS" in the centre. If you look closely, you can see fine lines in both the Horizontal and Vertical lines of the Test Pattern. They are the interpixel gaps of a 1080 DLP.

#27 ·
Quite remarkable Mark..:clap: :T
You certainly have come a long way with the advent of the Mk.1V!
How are sales going?..It seems that there just isn't the interest in anamorphic projection these days..
I've also noticed that there's not a lot of A lens activity on the AVS forum these days either..

I think a lot of people who had considered going anamorphic, are now looking more at the preset AR projectors, as a cheaper alternative..

Good luck with the new lens..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.