Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Making A DIY Anamorphic Lens

162K views 169 replies 20 participants last post by  Prof. 
#1 ·
If anyone has ever considered making their own lens, but felt it would be beyond their capabilities, this DIY article that was published sometime ago might just change your mind..

It's a very straight forward description of what's required to produce a very reasonable Anamorphic lens..
Anyone with any Carpentry skills should be able to make up the lens box..and the method of setting up the prisms is clearly explained and shown..

http://www.zuggsoft.com/theater/prism.htm

#118 ·
I've drawn the lens in its fully extended position of what should be 150mm. The case is telescopic, so collapses to about 100mm. This gives you the extended throw range where the shorter the throw, the shorter the lens will be.

#122 ·
I have been following this forum for a long time. I have set up my theater recently - about six months or so. Although still some work (seating) is needed. I have been very interested in anamorphic lens. I have already created one using the small prisms marketed at SS. As most of you know, it works but not great for a perfectionist. I am interested in cylindrical lenses.

Mark, you have done great work here. :clap::yourock: I would appreciate if you can pm me with information about how and where to get these cylindrical lenses. Thank you.

#123 ·
Thank you Doc. As the rules state, I can not list prices here, so a PM has been sent. There is a reason I am doing this project the way I am. Simply put, I want to hear wow factor stories about how great the image is, not complaints about how hard this is to get aligned.

#124 ·
I demonstrated the advantage of the new design of the MK5 last night to the owner on an MK4 by removing the front lens holder which allowed the front lens to slide in and out. I was able to show him how quick and easy the astigmatism adjustment will be with the new design compared to the current thread adjustment of the MK4.

If your wondering why I am doing this, then research "eye retention" and you will quickly understand the method in this madness.

#125 ·
I got the revised prototype back today and assembled it. It went together much easier than the first, but I think there is still some holes missing. I'll see if I can snap a photo and post it.

#126 ·
UPDATE: As this project unfolds, I am starting to think this might be out of the average DIY'ers realm. Tonight was my first attempt at "bonding" of the plastic parts for the out case and whilst so far it looks good, I won't know until tomorrow how well I have done. The main body
is bolted together, so no gluing required there (yet). I will have to glue the outer case to the main body next.

The glue is a solvent especially made for acrylic, so technically it should be one piece of plastic.​

Attachments

#129 ·
There is way more to this than meets the eye. I've had the prototype MK5 assembled for 2 days now and today found myself dismantling it once again. The good news after today is: IT NOW WORKS :clap:

#131 ·
Complex?

I honestly don't know how this would go as a DIY kit Prof. I ended taking the case into a machine shop today to have the outer part of the case machined. The guy charged me 'mates rates' but not sure if he'd be keen to do that for others. The need for precision alignment is paramount. You can't gave close enough is good enough like you can have with prisms. There is simply no room for error here. Having said that, I realigned this late this afternoon and watched a quick sample of video and it is stellar. So maybe there will be a few that can do this. I just don't think this is for everyone though.

#133 ·
I'm just "ironing out the bugs" so to speak. One the glass is aligned (2nd hardest part after the case), the lens is super easy to set up with the projector. I watched a full length film last night and saw no issues that would prevent this from going to market as is. There are still a few more things that need to be done though. I guess the first issue to sort out is for TGregory out as he already bought the glass and needs a case ASAP. If anything, I'd be happy for him to have the case as it stands right now. Any further mods I do will be simply refinements to what is already a great little (haha at 200mm, it is not exactly 'little') product.

At this stage I plan on making them as required. Turn around is about 3 weeks so not a big wait for someone wanting one.

#140 ·
There will be 2 in the next few weeks. One will be at Sunnybank HiFi (hopefully this month) and the other at Aussie HiFi (July). Dates and times are yet to be confirmed.

If the MODS are OK, I might start a threat on GTGs here unless there is a section for that else where.

#143 ·
OK back on topic. Today I spent the best half of the day with the industrial designer again to work out what I need to do to improve the design. It looks as if on Monday, we will be turning a massive thread on the case parts to allow it operate the same as an ISCO. This will be quite complex and I would say this project is no longer DIY, but I would like to continue to post about it here as this is still the prototype and not a commercial or production unit at this time.

#145 ·
This one is getting built for sure :)

Exactly how much they cost me to make will set the final sell price. Originally this was to be a DIY kit. However as I proceeded with my own lens, many challenges that would prevent an end user from enjoying their lens became apparent to me. A serious re-think was in order and this project can no longer be DIY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.