Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Making A DIY Anamorphic Lens

162K views 169 replies 20 participants last post by  Prof. 
#1 ·
If anyone has ever considered making their own lens, but felt it would be beyond their capabilities, this DIY article that was published sometime ago might just change your mind..

It's a very straight forward description of what's required to produce a very reasonable Anamorphic lens..
Anyone with any Carpentry skills should be able to make up the lens box..and the method of setting up the prisms is clearly explained and shown..

http://www.zuggsoft.com/theater/prism.htm

#148 · (Edited)
UPDATE: The "tuning" ring is done as is the main case. All parts fit nice and snug. I am super impressed with the guys ability to make something this complex from ideas we discussed less than 2 weeks ago.

The photo below is of the astigmatism adjustment ring being turned on a lathe.

Attachments

#150 ·
Anodized I would say. Powder coating is too course and may clog the threaded parts. The question now is, do I get these parts done in black or another colour. I am really liking the contrasting sliver on black, so might even look into white for the threaded collar.

#154 ·
Looks neat but like you say, not much point when you're using it in the dark..

I take it that once the lens is adjusted correctly, then no further adjustment is ever needed..In which case the numbers around the ring would only serve to show the correct position, should the lens ring be moved anytime..
A click stop adjustment would be more appropriate, but would obviously be more expensive..

#155 ·
And if the lens was accidentally moved, I would simply run a test pattern and re-align it. The focus ring allows a very quick and easy adjustment and in the end, the on screen image is what you want and need to make alignment.

Did you notice something odd about the numbers?

#159 ·
If I know this guy, he did it on purpose and he is probably waiting for me to say something. So anyway the idea is neat, but not practical in the dark. And no, glow in the dark numbers would work either.

#162 ·
UPDATE: I collected the parts for the stand today. The stand is made from 6mm alloy (which I will get anodized next week) with Stainless Steel tube legs. Very sexy if I may so. I am also fabricating a new clamp for the lens which is more robust than the original and will be a lower profile on the finished unit than the current design. It is all looking very good and I will update images soon.

#163 · (Edited)
Mark, I am a newbee to the DIY lens thread. I am now researching trying to decide on my final approach to a 2.35 screen/projection setup. In reading through this thread you mentioned anodizing some of your lens parts. I thought I would mention something that I observed years ago while doing Infrared studies. If you use a typical anodizing process you will find that anodized aluminum becomes a perfect mirror, the closer you get to infrared. Reds in the still visible range are reflected but to a lesser degree. If you want a flat black anodized like surface I recommend you use CHEMGLAZE Z306. This is the only product recommended for optics in space applications. I'm sure it works the same here on the ground.

#164 ·
If you want a flat black anodized like surface I recommend you use CHEMGLAZE Z306. This is the only product recommended for optics in space applications. I'm sure it works the same here on the ground.
Thank you for the heads up. I could only use it if it didn't push the production price out to the stratosphere.

#166 ·
After having been MIA for awhile I am back to report what most everyone following this thread can probably guess. I am not making any "REAL" progress with the DIY case. I have worked on it off and on for several weeks and was beginning to doubt my skill :help: when I took the time to catch up on the thread and see that Mark was running into the same issues I was facing. Of course he found solutions to his issues and I gave up......but that sounds really bad so let's say "I have too much going on at work and didn't have the time to resolve the issues I was running into." :bigsmile: "There...that makes me feel a bit better"

I have decided to put my focus back on theater construction and just hope this MK5 case ends up in an affordable price range. "Mark, PM me once you know approximately what this case will run" I have these 2 gorgeous lenses here and nothing to put them in :sad2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.