Loking to Install projector in basement with 7 foot ceilings but Best Buy said not a good idea - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #21 of 40 Old 01-16-16, 12:12 PM
Shackster

Re: Loking to Install projector in basement with 7 foot ceilings but Best Buy said not a good idea

Good sales people, bad salespeople, ...who cares?! This isn't about salespeople. It's about whether or not the OP should go with a pj or not. It's quite clear that the overwhelming consensus is that the answer is an absolute and unequivocal YES

Additionally, after you get the pj, DO NOT BOTHER WITH A SCREEN! Most of the time - (notice I said most, not all) they are just an added expense that actually detracts from the whole HT feeling anyway. I am speaking from personal experience on this. In a room your size - the best, most kick butt, most impactful you can get, is to use THE ENTIRE WALL ITSELF as the screen. Now of course you don't just turn on the pj and that's it - you do need to do some minor preparation to the wall, but it's ridiculously simple and inexpensive.

Since this is a basement, and it's already in use anyway, I have to believe the walls are finished. So, just make sure whatever wall you intend throw the image at, is both flat and true. By that I mean no cracks or uneveness. If there are any 'issues', a 5 dollar can of putty and some sandpaper will solve that problem in less than an hour. Once the wall is nice and flat, run out and get yourself a gallon of behr silver screen paint, a cheepo roller, and a plastic throw away paint pan. Shouldn't run you more than 40 bucks total. Throw on 2 coats of paint - and that's it! Your done. It really is that simple. It really is that easy. And, it absolutely is that good!

Believe me when I tell you, there is NOTHING cooler than a floor to ceiling, corner to corner image when your sitting in a home theater.

Here's my proof - this is a LOUSY pic - but it makes the point. conventional wisdom would be to use a screen - THE RED LINE

Now you tell me, which do YOU think is better? Screen, or no screen?
Don't forget, you can still always put a screen on the wall afterwards if you want - but doesn't it just seem smarter to see if you really even need a screen 1st?
In my theater, I had dozens of screen vendors send me sample swatches of all kinds of materials, and when I held them up to my 40 dollar painted wall - not a single 1 of them made the slightest improvement over what I already had.

I forgot to add - THE RED OUTLINE is 13 feet wide, my screen(wall) is 15 feet. That's right, no screen grants me mini IMAX status!

Last edited by fixr; 01-16-16 at 12:48 PM. Reason: info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 Old 01-16-16, 01:59 PM
Shackster

Re: Loking to Install projector in basement with 7 foot ceilings but Best Buy said not a good idea

How close is your seating to that screen?
post #23 of 40 Old 01-16-16, 06:33 PM

I thought that the reason we were here was to seek out or to answer the people who are seeking information about their current home theater setups or for one that they want to build, not to discus issues with sales.
However since you brought it up, I probably agree with most of the info in your post as I have no direct info about profit margins and commissions. Please do not take what I have to say as a personal attack because it isn't, however over my life time it has been my experience that around 90% of all sales people I have dealt with have been misleading and some have been down right untruthful. Where do you think that the terms "The great American huckster" or "Snake oil salesman" came from? When I need accurate unbiased information about a product I rely on other peoples experiences and knowledge which is the very reason I use this forum. You obviously are one of the 10% of honest sales people who unfortunately get drowned out by the other 90% who are not.
post #24 of 40 Old 01-16-16, 08:03 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
fixr wrote: View Post
Good sales people, bad salespeople, ...who cares?! This isn't about salespeople. It's about whether or not the OP should go with a pj or not. It's quite clear that the overwhelming consensus is that the answer is an absolute and unequivocal YES

Additionally, after you get the pj, DO NOT BOTHER WITH A SCREEN! Most of the time - (notice I said most, not all) they are just an added expense that actually detracts from the whole HT feeling anyway. I am speaking from personal experience on this. In a room your size - the best, most kick butt, most impactful you can get, is to use THE ENTIRE WALL ITSELF as the screen. Now of course you don't just turn on the pj and that's it - you do need to do some minor preparation to the wall, but it's ridiculously simple and inexpensive.

Since this is a basement, and it's already in use anyway, I have to believe the walls are finished. So, just make sure whatever wall you intend throw the image at, is both flat and true. By that I mean no cracks or uneveness. If there are any 'issues', a 5 dollar can of putty and some sandpaper will solve that problem in less than an hour. Once the wall is nice and flat, run out and get yourself a gallon of behr silver screen paint, a cheepo roller, and a plastic throw away paint pan. Shouldn't run you more than 40 bucks total. Throw on 2 coats of paint - and that's it! Your done. It really is that simple. It really is that easy. And, it absolutely is that good!

Believe me when I tell you, there is NOTHING cooler than a floor to ceiling, corner to corner image when your sitting in a home theater.

Here's my proof - this is a LOUSY pic - but it makes the point. conventional wisdom would be to use a screen - THE RED LINE

Now you tell me, which do YOU think is better? Screen, or no screen?
Don't forget, you can still always put a screen on the wall afterwards if you want - but doesn't it just seem smarter to see if you really even need a screen 1st?
In my theater, I had dozens of screen vendors send me sample swatches of all kinds of materials, and when I held them up to my 40 dollar painted wall - not a single 1 of them made the slightest improvement over what I already had.

I forgot to add - THE RED OUTLINE is 13 feet wide, my screen(wall) is 15 feet. That's right, no screen grants me mini IMAX status!
The purpose of a screen is to get the best image popssible. Certainly if you are happy with projecting onto a wall, that is fine, but you can have a screen the same size as your wall if you want it.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #25 of 40 Old 01-16-16, 08:09 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
robert3353 wrote: View Post
I thought that the reason we were here was to seek out or to answer the people who are seeking information about their current home theater setups or for one that they want to build, not to discus issues with sales.
However since you brought it up, I probably agree with most of the info in your post as I have no direct info about profit margins and commissions. Please do not take what I have to say as a personal attack because it isn't, however over my life time it has been my experience that around 90% of all sales people I have dealt with have been misleading and some have been down right untruthful. Where do you think that the terms "The great American huckster" or "Snake oil salesman" came from? When I need accurate unbiased information about a product I rely on other peoples experiences and knowledge which is the very reason I use this forum. You obviously are one of the 10% of honest sales people who unfortunately get drowned out by the other 90% who are not.
We are here to discuss whatever is meaningful to home theater enthusiasts in the context of the question posed by the OP. Certainly sales is a part of the matter, but your post does nothing to answer his question, which is more about whether he should get a projector.

Having done hundreds or projector installations, I would not jump to the conclusion that a 7ft ceiling is a seriously limiting factor. I have seen many installations in rooms with low ceilings and other variables are much more relevevant.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #26 of 40 Old 01-17-16, 10:58 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
The OP never came back with room dimensions, 80" screen might be (or not) be the most appropriate size for the room.
post #27 of 40 Old 01-21-16, 08:52 PM
Shackster

I have 78" ceilings in my basement. I'm using a 106" screen and an Epson 6010 projector. No issues at all unless I stand up in front of the lens. The OP shouldn't worry about a projector so long as you can mount it free from obstruction and it has decent ventilation.
post #28 of 40 Old 02-02-16, 12:04 AM
Shackster

Just ordered my Sony HW40ES and Chief mount today. Projector People got my business as I've heard great things about them. I ordered online and an hour later a phone call confirming everything and the lady answered my questions about shipping thoroughly. I was IMPRESSED! Maybe the best experience I've had so far. Simply, straight forward and they confirmed my gut feeling.

OK, so screen. Seymour retractable AT screen has been on order a month and a half. Still not sure if they've even started to build it yet and I have a feeling I'm getting pushed back due to the holidays, CES, yada yada. This screen better be worth it and be done soon! Hate trying to throw my money at companies that just don't seem too excited to take it.

So if the OP sees this, I may have a good answer for you soon. 7 foot ceilings 105" wide screen. It will be viewable from about 6 inches down from the ceiling to a couple feet off the floor. I've put a lot of through into it, measuring, reading, checking out dozens of Youtube vids of people setups. I'm pretty sure I will be in heaven when it's done. Pics to come as soon as I get the screen and it's all set up. Hopefully in another week or so.
post #29 of 40 Old 02-03-16, 09:27 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Deepstage wrote: View Post
Just ordered my Sony HW40ES and Chief mount today. Projector People got my business as I've heard great things about them. I ordered online and an hour later a phone call confirming everything and the lady answered my questions about shipping thoroughly. I was IMPRESSED! Maybe the best experience I've had so far. Simply, straight forward and they confirmed my gut feeling. OK, so screen. Seymour retractable AT screen has been on order a month and a half. Still not sure if they've even started to build it yet and I have a feeling I'm getting pushed back due to the holidays, CES, yada yada. This screen better be worth it and be done soon! Hate trying to throw my money at companies that just don't seem too excited to take it. So if the OP sees this, I may have a good answer for you soon. 7 foot ceilings 105" wide screen. It will be viewable from about 6 inches down from the ceiling to a couple feet off the floor. I've put a lot of through into it, measuring, reading, checking out dozens of Youtube vids of people setups. I'm pretty sure I will be in heaven when it's done. Pics to come as soon as I get the screen and it's all set up. Hopefully in another week or so.
You will be blown away! There's such a tremendous difference between looking at a box and a dedicated home theater screen.

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack
post #30 of 40 Old 02-03-16, 09:35 PM
Shackster

Ordered my HW40ES from Projector People Monday. Hour later I get a call from them confirming everything. They shipped my projector and mount out right away. FedEx delivered it by 10AM this morning. I didn't even expect it as we had a snow storm yesterday and I figure they would be behind. This may have been the best experience I've had ordering such a large price item. Glad I went through them.

I set up the mount on the projector and will probably install it in the ceiling Friday night. Not All I'm waiting for is my screen to get done and I'll be one happy camper. I'll post a pic of the projector mounted in my room when it's up. Time to start getting a list of movies together I want to watch.

Also, after some poking and prodding, Emotiva called me back yesterday and said they'd try to get me some rack ears for the equipment I have. I was a bit miffed that they weren't available after building an equipment rack into the wall. But after calls two days in a row from them, we got it sorted out and they really went out of their way to make me happy. Big high five for Emo. They should be here next week. Time to order a few custom panels to mount the PS4 and cable box and that project will be complete too. It's a very exciting time as I've been dreaming of putting all of this together for several years.