Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Subtites and CIH

Tags
subtites
4K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  Mark Techer 
#1 ·
Regardless if you use a lens or zoom for CIH, if the subtitles are placed in the black bars, you're going to have a problem - more so with a lens as the scaling for CIH clips the black bars off.

Previously, I was using a Samsung HD 950 for it's EzyView fuction.

I have since found out that the Samsung BD-P1500 will also shift STs on DVD if they are a bitmap. It can't shift them for BDs though.

Mark

#5 ·
It really will depend on the studio. Older films like the Die Hard movies from Fox do have STs in the picture, but I read a report that a brand new relase in the US, Seven Pounds from Regency which is under the Fox banner has its english lines half in the black bars. The intersting part here is that I got to see once of those "preview discs" from a video store on DVD of this film, and all STs were in the active picture area.

#7 ·
All I will say is that it is really hit and miss. With HD, the text is so sharp that it could be put anywhere, but it seems that there are those from the old 16:9 school that think text is best in black bars. I say:
1. Don't mess with the art! The STs were in the picture at the cinema, so leave them there for the video.
2. Get with the times - CIH is the future and our software need to be compaitible...

#9 ·
So far I think about 80-90% of the HD movies I have watched have had the subtitles in the movie. There have been a couple that I have had issue with. I believe Letters from Iwo Jima may have been one and there was one other one where I had to watch in 16x9 because of the subtitles. I would guess that less than 1% of movie buyers have a CIH setup so don't expect studios to cater to us at this point.

#10 ·
I would guess that less than 1% of movie buyers have a CIH setup so don't expect studios to cater to us at this point.
There lies the problem..
We are a minute minority compared to the movie watching public, so studios are generally only interested in the majority and see no need to cater for our interests..and probably never will..

#13 ·
The Samsung won't shift the STs on a BD, only a DVD where it shifts the STs up by about 10%.
ONLY players like OPPO (including the rebadged versions) and the Phillips players with 21:9 mode can break the protected video stream.

There are a heap of great films that do have STs in the black bars that I just simply would not watch. AVS even had a list for a time so I was able to get a heads up on what titles were CIH compatible. Once the OPPO player emerged, the list was not updated as often as it should have been.

#15 ·
I don't think I've ever had any problems with BD ST's..I must be looking at the wrong movies...or the right one's!
Not seen GRAN TORINO yet? Great movie, just STs in the black bars meant I held off watching this film until I could move the STs up. SEVEN POUNDS, HIT MAN and D-WARS (I posted screen caps for this film) are other examples that come to mind.

On Star Wars DVD's, I don't have any problems with their ST's..
STs on a DVD are a bitmap over laid on the picture. Unless the STs are 'burned in" like THE JACKLE, a BD player generally shifts them up by about 10%, so allowing CIH to work. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to be able to watch all 6 SW films on the BD player and not have to switch back to 16:9 to read the STs.

I just hope FOX do the right thing with the upcoming SW films on BD.

#18 ·
I don't have the luxury of "rent before you buy" anymore! :sad:
My nearest rental store is a 35K trip..That gets expensive when you have to return the movie the next day!
I tried Bigpond rentals, but that was waste of time..So these days I have to rely on reviews and from the guys on the forum..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.