#1 ·
[img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/images/panny4000.jpg[/img]
Panasonic PT-AE4000 LCD HD Home Cinema Projector

Panasonic PT-AE4000U Projector Specifications
Native Res.: 1080p
Brightness: 1600 ANSI lumens
Colors: 16.9 million colors
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 native, 4:3 compat.
Technology: Transparent LCD panels (x3, R/G/B)
Contrast Ratio: 100000:1
Compatibility: Native resolution: 1920x1080 Pixels, Maximum resolution: 1920x1080 Pixels
Inputs (Video): S-Video: Mini DIN 4-pin x 1, 75 ohms Video: RCA pin x 1, 75 ohms HDMI in: HDMI connector x 3, HDMI, HDCP compliant, supports HDAVI Control ver. 4
Weight and Dimensions: 16.09 lbs. 18.1in W 5.1in H 11.78in D

See Full Specifications List (Panasonic Product Page)

Features

[img]http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ae4000/img/features/images/3-01.jpg[/img]
Intelligent Lens Memory with Auto Detection
Up to six settings can be stored in the Lens Memory, including zoom and focus positions for projecting in the normal 16:9 or 4:3 image ratio, and wide cinema projection settings. These memories can be recalled manually or can be set for automatic switching. The projector is able to detect 2.35:1 and 16:9 source and retrieve the stored setting automatically. This Lens Memory function lets you easily enjoy images with different image ratios on a wide 2.35:1 screen for an immersive movie theater-like experience.

[img]http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ae4000/img/features/images/3-03.gif[/img]
2x Optical Power Zoom/Focus and Wide Lens Shift Range
A 2x optical power zoom/focus lens and a lens shift function together make it possible to project a 120-inch picture from as close as 3.6 m (11´10.) to the screen or as far as 7.2 m (23´7.) away. In addition, the image can be shifted ±100% vertically, and ±40% horizontally. This gives you outstanding setup flexibility. If you choose to ceiling-mount the projector, you can zoom and focus by remote control.

Programmable 12v Trigger for Automated Home Theater Setup
Two 12V triggers are provided. Since the input and output can be set independently (menu selectable), they can link flexibly with powered screens, room light and powered curtains. When combined with the Intelligent Lens Memory, they let you create a truly classy home theater.

[img]http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ae4000/img/features/images/3-05.jpg[/img]
HDMI with x.v.Color™ Deep Color™
The PT-AE4000 has three HDMI input terminals for digital transmission without image degradation. The HDMI input terminals also support Deep Color and the x.v.Color™ color space of the HDMI 1.3 standard. Deep Color provides 10-bit (over 1.07 billion) and 12-bit (over 68.7 billion) color depths for smooth gradation between colors, while x.v.Color™ compliance reproduces natural, lifelike images (Effective in Color 1 image mode).

[img]http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ae4000/img/features/images/1-01.jpg[/img]
New Rich Red Lamp
The incorporation of the new Red-Rich Lamp increases the luminance efficiency of the projector, to achieve 150% brighter Cinema Picture modes compared to its predecessor, the PT-AE3000.
Prior to the development of the Red-Rich Lamp, much brightness was lost to attain the desired color purity/balance for the rich color reproduction of Cinema Picture modes due to the lack of red luminance. The newly engineered lamp successfully adds red luminance, and enables the projector to produce brighter images with excellent colors. With the ability to produce a stunning brightness of 1,600 lumens, the PT-AE4000 unleashes the beauty of full-HD expression for viewing on various screen sizes.

[img]http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ae4000/img/features/images/1-02b.jpg[/img]
Full HD Optimized Optical System
To assure maximum clarity and sharpness in full-HD images, this advanced optical system employs a full-HD-optimized lens unit comprising of 16 lens elements in 12 groups, including two large-diameter aspherical lenses and two high-performance ED (extralow dispersion) lenses. Each lens is carefully aligned to assure a uniform focusing balance from the center to the edges of the screen. As a result, the PT-AE4000 produces stunningly clear and beautiful images.

New Pure Contrast Plate Delivers High 100,000:1 Contrast Ratio
The Pure Contrast Plate in the PT-AE4000 uses a newly engineered crystalline material that is carefully matched to the characteristics of the LCD panels to effectively correct the passage of light exiting the panels. This enables the projector to block unwanted light leakage and successfully increases the dynamic range. It works together with the dynamic iris to achieve an astounding contrast ratio of 100,000:1.

[img]http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ae4000/img/features/images/1-04.jpg[/img]
Pure Color Filter Pro for Richer and Vibrant Colors
The optical filter optimizes the light spectrum from the UHM projector lamp, helping to produce deeper blacks while improving purity levels in the three primary colors (red, green and blue). This advanced filter system improves color purity to cover a range that extends from the HDTV standard (Color 1 mode)* to the color gamut used in digital cinema*². This gives images the deep, rich coloring that distinguishes movie images.

* A setting that supports the 6,500K color temperature recommended in the HDTV standard (ITU-R BT.709)
*² Specifications put forth by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) DC28 Digital Cinema committees.

[img]http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ae4000/img/features/images/1-05.jpg[/img]
Smooth Screen Technology Creates Film-Like Texture
While many LCD projectors suffer from a ''chicken wire'' effect, Panasonic’s pursuit of the highest possible image quality has successfully overcome this device limitation through the incorporation of Smooth Screen technology. This uses the double refraction property of crystals to arrange pixels on a screen with no gaps between them. Smooth Screen technology is designed to give you the kind of smooth, vivid, and three-dimensional like images you see in movie theaters.

[img]http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ae4000/img/features/images/1-07.jpg[/img]
Full-HD LCD Panels Enhance Motion Response
The PT-AE4000’s full-HD LCD panels have a double-speed drive capability that improves the projection clarity of moving images. These high-precision panels use vertically aligned liquid crystal molecules with inorganic alignment layers. When no voltage is applied, the molecules are aligned perpendicular to the glass substrate, so there is minimal light leakage and the substrate remains black (called “normally black” operation), providing higher contrast.

Dynamic Iris Adds Beauty to Both Dark and Bright Scenes
The fifth generation intelligent iris system works by analyzing the brightness level of each image using a histogram, then adjusting the lamp power, iris and gamma curve* accordingly to create the ideal image. The adjustments are made virtually frame by frame. This helps the projector achieve a wide dynamic range with swift smoothness for added beauty in both dark and bright scenes.

Detail Clarity Processor 3 Gives Natural Clarity to Even the Finest Details
This digital image processing circuit brings greater clarity and sharpness to details, by reproducing fine nuances that were lost due to image compression. After a two dimensional analysis of the video signals frequency in each scene, the new circuit optimizes the sharpness of each image portion based on the extracted information. The resulting images have a more natural, lifelike expression than those of previous image-processing methods. The detection of super-high-frequency image components also enables more faithful reproduction of highly detailed information, such as the film grain in movies. The effect can be adjusted in eight steps from 0 to +7.

Frame Creation 2 Featuring Motion Blur Reduction
A double-speed display (120 Hz or 100 Hz) greatly improves the clarity of motion images. Frame Creation interpolates one new frame for each existing frame by analyzing the characteristics of the adjacent frames to reproduce sharp and clear images for fast moving scenes in sports and action movies. For 24p signal input, three frames are calculated and interpolated for each existing frame, to enable 4x speed (96-Hz) display. There are four modes (mode 1, mode 2, mode 3, and off) to choose from. The effect is more pronounced as you ascend through the modes, to provide crisp, clear images to your liking.

Waveform Monitor for Precise Collaboration
When the output level of the source device fluctuates due to the performance of the device or its cable connection, the original black and white levels of the image content cannot be reproduced. With the PT-AE4000 you can view the waveforms on the screen and adjust the settings both automatically and manually as you prefer.

Advanced Gamma Adjustment Function
The gamma curve can be flexibly controlled, allowing precise calibration according to the signal source and environment. Brightness (Y), R, G and B can each be adjusted to any of the nine points. Adjustment point positions can also be shifted. be shifted both horizontally and vertically to bring out the desired gradation level.

New Cinema Color Management Premium Enables Flexible Color Control
This color correction system enables free color control in two different modes. The Point Color Correction mode lets you pick a point in the image and adjust that color without affecting the neighboring colors, so it is easy to get just the right color equalization in hue, luminance and saturation. The Six Color Correction mode enables independent adjustment of red, green, blue, cyan, magenta and yellow.

Split Adjust Mode for Easy Picture Adjustment
You can freeze any scene you wish, and then make adjustments while easily comparing the original image and the adjusted image side-by-side.

16 Bit Gamma Correction for Natural Gradations
The PT-AE4000 handles up to 16-bit (full 12-bit) digital image processing. It faithfully reproduces even subtle hues and brightness variations.

Scene-Adaptive Resizing LSI
The PT-AE4000 converts pixels according to the characteristics of the on-screen image and adjacent pixels. This not only improves image sharpness and reduces noise, it also helps create beautifully enlarged images from 480p sources, so you enjoy superb picture quality when viewing DVDs from your home collection.

Scene-Adaptive 3D Noise Reduction\3D Noise Reduction circuit intelligently detects and removes unwanted noise without adversely affecting fine details. This achieves clear, low-noise images from all types of input sources and scene types.

Scene-Adaptive MPEG Noise Reduction
This system detects the amount of change in the input signal from one scene to the next and calculates the amount of noise to remove accordingly, minimizing both block noise and mosquito noise.

Selectable Frame Response
This function reduces the time from when the video signal is first input until it is projected (referred to as frame delay). The projector can be switched from Normal mode to High-Speed mode. High-Speed mode is recommended for video game use.

24p Compatible
Direct playback of 24 fps (frames per second) progressive video signals suppresses noise and optimizes the natural film quality of movies.

Progressive Cinema Scan (3.2 Pull Down) and HD IP
This automatically detects when the DCI input signal is derived from filmed material. HD IP enables the PT-AE4000 to convert signals recorded at a higher quality than was possible with conventional models.

Picture Mode
The PT-AE4000 has seven preset picture modes, making it easy for you to enjoy optimal viewing quality from a variety of image sources. Choose whichever mode provides the picture characteristics best suited to the source material.

Built-In Test Pattern
Five test patterns are built-in for the checking of color, quick and easy adjustment of zooming and focusing.

Screen/Throw Calculator Pro

Projector Central Review

Epson 8500UB vs. Panasonic AE4000
1080p Shoot Out

See less See more
#34 ·
Isn't it amazing how good a projector can look when projected on a brown, green, or any other wall?

When I was waiting for a screen for my Z4 years back, it was projected on a non-flat green wall and the image still looked good. It looked a lot better with a screen, though :D

#35 ·
While recently shopping for a plasma, the dealer showed me a projector (I believe it was a Planar) and I was really impressed at how well it projected in fairly bright light. It was located near the door and he went out of his way to turn on all the lights and allow as much of the outdoor light in as possible. I honestly would not have thought that it was possible to get a decent image in that kind of lighting. If my living room space was more adaptable, there is no question I would have looked more seriously at the projector route. I have definitely been converted.

Bob

#36 ·
I think the PT4000 will be my next projector upgrade in a couple of years when the price is with in my reach:dontknow:

#37 ·
I was going to go with the new 4000 but was offered such a good deal on a brand new PT-AE3000 that I could not refuse it, first impressions are excellent and a breeze to set up, so many tweaks to be made so I do need to do some basic calibrations but am just enjoying the PQ straight out of the box :T

Attachments

#43 ·
2.35 to 16:9 zoom

I just purchased an AE4000

does anyone know how the 2:35 zoom to 16:9 is supposed to work?

I plan on building a 2.35 screen.

If i play a 2.35:1 Blue ray (Paul Gross's Passchendaele), there are black bars on the top and bottom. Am I supposed to 'mask' those areas? If I do am I supposed to build my screen only to the non black area? If I do, when I play 16:9 and zoom, it zooms maintaining the top of the picture, and this is where my masked 2:35 was(which would be where there is no screen).

It's like I need to zoom and then do a vertical lens shift, but the vertical lens shift is not motorized. I tried a bunch of the settings (V area postion) bur it actually moves the picture off the projected area, it does not move the lens

Has someone tried this projector with a 2.35 screen?

#44 ·
My 3000 is the same, but does not have the automatic setting.

I have a 2.35:1 screen with about 10" of black felt above and below the screen. When viewing 2.35:1 I zoom to fill the screen, which causes the black bar to overflow to the black felt. I do not notice it in the least bit. When I watch 16:9, I get black bars on the sides. I did not have any issues adjusting it all to fit the screen.

#48 · (Edited)
Are you ceiling mounted? I'm beginning to think this is because I have a lot of manual vertical shift

i tried this to set everything up:

1.switch to 2.35 blue ray. Set up the lens zoom for desired 2.35 screen size. adjust the vertical shift(in lens menu) upwards until the horizontal black bar is gone at the top. Mark where the bottom of the picture is on the wall. Save this lens setting as '2.35'

2. switch to a 16:9 source and zoom in until the bottom of the picture is at the same height as the mark in 1. Save this lens setting as '16:9'

...the above kind of works, but not really, because the zoom doesnt keep the top of the picture at the same spot(which is what I thought). and the zoom in/out between the two aspect ratios moves the display vertically by more than the black bars height. It's close...the 16:9 is too high by about 4". If I keep zooming the bottom moves above the point I recorded in 1. ..I suppose I could cut the heads of people(top of the 16:9 image) with a mask, but I dont really want to.

Anyone have a procedure on how to set this up?

ok I just did a little experiment. The current setup has the 2.35 screen 25" below the ceiling(9' ceiling). The 16:9 is projecting 5" above the 2.35 screen (with the bottom of the 16.9image matching the bottom of the 2.35 screen). If I reduce the manual vertical shift to project the top of my image at the top of my wall (my room height is 9') instead of 25" down from the top of the wall everything works pretty much perfect.

so does anyone know how to 'fix' this little problem. I dont want to have to stare at the top of the wall to watch movies! ...and I dont really want to drop the projector from the ceiling.

#46 ·
It's been a while, but can't you get a larger 16:9 screen and make a mask that you can center for 2.35:1 material?

I swear I saw someone DIY this a few years back. It was two blackout felt panels on a sliding track. He simply notched them up into position when watching a widescreen movie, or moved them out of the way (up and down) for 16:9

I'm sure an automated screen like that would be super-big-bucks, though.

#50 ·
I have mine ceiling mounted and the top of my screen is about 8-10" from the ceiling. I do not have an issue with the 3000 when swapping between 2.35:1 and 16:9. I suppose because my screen is closer to the ceiling it is not an issue for me.

My ceilings are 8.6" tall and as noted the top of screen is 10" or less from the ceiling. I do not in any way feel like I am looking at the top of my wall. I suspect my eyes are generally focused on the area about 2-3' from the ceiling.

#52 ·
I was thinking about a compromise...move the screen up a few inches and the projector down a few inches. and the slightly crop the 16:9 image on the top. ...but I've got to liking watching the 2.35 movies at just above eye level

I found on another forum a mention of an s16:9 AR setting

The S16:9 aspect ratio option on the projector seems to move the 16:9 image down vertically by about 15". The manual doesnt really say what it's purpose is. It still has a slight keystone, 1.5" on 16:9 image, but that is considerably less than tilting the projector

Does anyone know anything about the purpose of the S16:9 aspect ratio setting?

#53 ·
I am not sure, but I use it for my 16 x 9 viewing.

I am getting my new 4000 in just as soon as Visual Apex gets their stock refreshed and I will be sure to take note of the aspect ratio setup.

Btw... my 3000 has less than 250 hours on it and I will be giving it away in the forum. :bigsmile:

#55 ·
Has anyone found a source for the PT-AE4000 that actually has them in stock? I've been waiting weeks witrh a preorder at VisualApex, and have called or emailed every online supplier I can find, and no-one has them in stock, nor can they tell me when they will have them.

#58 ·
Yep... got it.

It appears to be a slightly better image out of the box, no adjustments made and the lens memory works a lot nicer. Lens shift seems to stick a bit better. It would be hard for me to get very detailed since I have no way to do a side by side comparison, and even then I won't claim to be one who can tell you a lot about what I see other than what I think looks good to me.

#59 ·
I have noticed that the Lens shift is not as solid as it could be with the rotating buttons on top of the unit, not as precise as it could be, so that is an improvement that obviously addressed with the new 4000, picture quality from what I have read is an improvement but not massively from feedback, with a 100,000:1 contrast ratio you would think so and a better lamp, although I have to say the 3000 is a star performer too and easily as good if not better than the VPL-VW50 I owned previously and especially the black levels which are very good indeed.

#62 ·
When you consider how much the Panasonics cost, they hit well above there weight with stunning performance and flexibility for setting up with so many tweaks for calibration, I also think that they look very nice for a PJ and it certainly does not look out of place in my set up :whistling:

#64 ·
I dont have the full amount needed to buy the 4000, I did find a steal on a Sony VPL VW100 "Ruby" for under $800. Its on its way and dont get me wrong I am excited to get it and thrilled at the potential image it should produce but I really wish I could have got the 4000, my experience with my Panasonic projector has been very positive.

#65 ·
If you can bag a ruby for 800 you won't be hurt with your purchase. I owned a ruby before I got my 4k and I have to say it was a very good projector. If you plan on keeping the ruby and need to change out the bulb in the lamp it's very easy to bulb. This will save you major dollars over the OEM lamp cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.