how long can VGA cable be run? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 12-07-06, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

how long can VGA cable be run?

One of my clients has asked me to install a projector and screen when I upgrade and tune their P.A setup. I can find out about projection distance, angle and keystone correction however i am a bit unsure of the maximum distance I can run a vga cable before we start to loose image quality. The projector will get its signal from a HP laptop. Currently we need to run the cables 25 metres.

Thanks,

dr f
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-07-06, 08:32 AM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr
Re: how long can VGA cable be run?

I've heard that about 10 metres is the longest you should try to run VGA without using booster amps.

Bob
post #3 of 20 Old 12-07-06, 10:58 AM
Senior Shackster

jack

I've run 50 feet with no problem at all, as in no even a hint of a signal problem. It really surprised me.

My advice would be to use a single run of cable with the only connections being at the laptop and at the projector.

Ensure the cable you use is constructed of 3 co-ax cables internally - straight unshielded wire will not cut it.

PIMFG.com sells a 100 foot Male-male cable with one RF choke $34, (75 foot is $27)http://www.pimfg.com/product_list.as...earchstring=68
These are the cables I've used with good luck.

Be sure to put the RF choke on the end near the laptop - as the choke's purpose is to reduce RF noise, which is more likely to enter at the laptop than it is at the projector.

Hope this helps.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-07-06, 01:04 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
Be sure to put the RF choke on the end near the laptop - as the choke's purpose is to reduce RF noise, which is more likely to enter at the laptop than it is at the projector.
Huh, I would have thought that it would be best to install a choke closest to the equipment you want protected from the interference, since at that location any RF produced at the transmitting end combined with any interference picked up along the cable would be choked.

I would think that you could run ~100 feet with a high quality HD-15 cable.

brucek
post #5 of 20 Old 12-07-06, 03:33 PM
elmac
Inactive

VGA-Analogue is not going to have as long a range as DVI. Using high quality cables I would say that 10 meters would be the maximum for 1024x768@60Hz. There are VGA-Analogue repeater solutions as well that can also permit 10's and 100's of meters of signal--at lower resolution let say 800x600@60Hz
Try good cable, and if that doesn't work you will have to install repeater.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-07-06, 08:30 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

I have a 24 ft cable from my Dell comp to my pj and have no problems! http://lindy.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #7 of 20 Old 12-08-06, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Thanks guys, I found a local supplier of cable and will try the longest run they sell (15metres I think) then add 5 metres at atime until the signal degrades too much to use. It looks like lindy has an australian arm, and supply boosters so I know I can get one if necessary. At least I can go to my client with some knowledge on this, were as before I would have to say I didn't know.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-09-06, 05:13 AM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Send a message via MSN to Danny

I personally wouldn't run the cable more than 10metres without the booster, even if it works with the HP notebook you must consider what would happen if they hooked up another notebook that had a weaker signal. Just a thought.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-09-06, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Thats a good point, I don't know what the chances of that are, but i will certainly keep that in mind when sorting out the final plan of installation.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-02-07, 09:19 AM
Shackster

Gui Lao

While I can not give a definite answer, I can say that I have run into _big_ problems with this when we tried (ignorantly) to lengthen a VGA cable by adding on another F-M cable. Tried an amplifier and it was not much of an improvement, but wouldn't you know, a new cable the right length fixed it in an instant.

The run is about 60 feet and we added about 5 feet to that in order to move the PJ. The actual PJ is a Benq something or other. It is a mid level 720 resolution and even though it has HDMI, it is a conference room PJ and mostly sees use with spreadsheets, eDrawings and junk like that.

We certainly learned our lesson on the VGA cable deal. Painful, but a well learned lesson for sure. Based on my experience, I would certainly not recomend extending the cable if it is already there and you just need a little more; it sure messed us up.