how long can VGA cable be run? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Projectors
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 131415 - Replies: 19  
Old 12-07-06, 03:46 AM   #1
drf

drf
Since: Oct 2006
Somewhere else.
I started this thread.
how long can VGA cable be run?

One of my clients has asked me to install a projector and screen when I upgrade and tune their P.A setup. I can find out about projection distance, angle and keystone correction however i am a bit unsure of the maximum distance I can run a vga cable before we start to loose image quality. The projector will get its signal from a HP laptop. Currently we need to run the cables 25 metres.

Thanks,

dr f

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-06, 07:32 AM   #2
Elite Shackster

Bob
Since: Apr 2006
Shueyville, Iowa
Re: how long can VGA cable be run?

I've heard that about 10 metres is the longest you should try to run VGA without using booster amps.

Bob

Old 12-07-06, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Shackster
Bronze Supporter

jack
Since: Sep 2006
Chicago Suburbs, IL USA

I've run 50 feet with no problem at all, as in no even a hint of a signal problem. It really surprised me.

My advice would be to use a single run of cable with the only connections being at the laptop and at the projector.

Ensure the cable you use is constructed of 3 co-ax cables internally - straight unshielded wire will not cut it.

PIMFG.com sells a 100 foot Male-male cable with one RF choke $34, (75 foot is $27)http://www.pimfg.com/product_list.as...earchstring=68
These are the cables I've used with good luck.

Be sure to put the RF choke on the end near the laptop - as the choke's purpose is to reduce RF noise, which is more likely to enter at the laptop than it is at the projector.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-07-06, 12:04 PM   #4
Elite Shackster

brucek

Quote:
Be sure to put the RF choke on the end near the laptop - as the choke's purpose is to reduce RF noise, which is more likely to enter at the laptop than it is at the projector.
Huh, I would have thought that it would be best to install a choke closest to the equipment you want protected from the interference, since at that location any RF produced at the transmitting end combined with any interference picked up along the cable would be choked.

I would think that you could run ~100 feet with a high quality HD-15 cable.

brucek

Old 12-07-06, 02:33 PM   #5
elmac
Inactive

VGA-Analogue is not going to have as long a range as DVI. Using high quality cables I would say that 10 meters would be the maximum for 1024x768@60Hz. There are VGA-Analogue repeater solutions as well that can also permit 10's and 100's of meters of signal--at lower resolution let say 800x600@60Hz
Try good cable, and if that doesn't work you will have to install repeater.

Old 12-07-06, 07:30 PM   #6
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny
Millbrook AL

I have a 24 ft cable from my Dell comp to my pj and have no problems! http://lindy.com/

Old 12-08-06, 02:57 AM   #7
drf

drf
Somewhere else.
I started this thread.

Thanks guys, I found a local supplier of cable and will try the longest run they sell (15metres I think) then add 5 metres at atime until the signal degrades too much to use. It looks like lindy has an australian arm, and supply boosters so I know I can get one if necessary. At least I can go to my client with some knowledge on this, were as before I would have to say I didn't know.

Old 12-09-06, 04:13 AM   #8
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Dan
Since: May 2006
Australia

I personally wouldn't run the cable more than 10metres without the booster, even if it works with the HP notebook you must consider what would happen if they hooked up another notebook that had a weaker signal. Just a thought.

Old 12-09-06, 04:32 AM   #9
drf

drf
Somewhere else.
I started this thread.

Thats a good point, I don't know what the chances of that are, but i will certainly keep that in mind when sorting out the final plan of installation.

Old 06-02-07, 08:19 AM   #10
Shackster

Gui Lao
Since: May 2007
Shenzhen, China

While I can not give a definite answer, I can say that I have run into _big_ problems with this when we tried (ignorantly) to lengthen a VGA cable by adding on another F-M cable. Tried an amplifier and it was not much of an improvement, but wouldn't you know, a new cable the right length fixed it in an instant.

The run is about 60 feet and we added about 5 feet to that in order to move the PJ. The actual PJ is a Benq something or other. It is a mid level 720 resolution and even though it has HDMI, it is a conference room PJ and mostly sees use with spreadsheets, eDrawings and junk like that.

We certainly learned our lesson on the VGA cable deal. Painful, but a well learned lesson for sure. Based on my experience, I would certainly not recomend extending the cable if it is already there and you just need a little more; it sure messed us up.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Projectors »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »