How Long Does Your Projector Lamp Last? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Projectors
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 39735 - Replies: 38  
Old 02-14-07, 10:36 AM   #1
Banned!

majorloser
Since: May 2006
I started this thread.
How Long Does Your Projector Lamp Last?

Please let me know how often you have changed lamps in your projectors!!!

Well, I just changed the second lamp on my Optoma H78-DC3 after 630 hours and about 9 months (of course after the 6 month warranty). The first lamp was replaced after about 500 hours.

The first lamp was replaced because the lamp was so dim the projector couldn't adjust the brightness up high enough to display the colors properly. The bulb did not burn out and did not trigger a lamp fault indication on the projector.

The second lamp triggers the lamp fault and shuts the projector down. I can turn the projector off and then on again and the projector would start up....but not always. So I changed the bulb.

I run the projector in "normal" mode, not "bright" mode so I'm not running the bulb at high output.

Ok, I'm not being picky since I don't have a problem changing a lamp every year. Just the cost of doing business as far as I'm concerned. I just wish the lamp would last for one year. My previous Yamaha DPX-1 lamps would last between 700 and 1,000 hours with no problem, but those lamps were rated for 1,000 hours. No complaint there. (Granted, I ended up getting rid of the Yammie after 2 1/2 years after the DLP driver board blew and repairs would have cost almost as much as the Optoma I replaced it with.) But Optoma says the lamps should last for 2,000 to 3,000 hours.

Does anybody think I should send the projector into the factory for a "checkup"?
After the first lamp went very dim the factory said to send the projector in for service. But if all it needed was a lamp they would change the lamp and charge me bench time + the lamp + shipping. That didn't make sense to me then when changing the lamp is so easy (even a caveman can do it). I changed the lamp and everything was OK. So I figured that was that, problem solved. But now I have this problem with the second bulb after just over 600 hours.

I'm just not having good luck with projectors

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-07, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior Shackster

Harold
Since: Jun 2006
Brookfield, OH
My System
Re: How Long Does Your Projector Lamp Last?

Definitely, It sounds like your either getting bad bulbs or something is wrong with the projector. If I had to change 2 bulbs before the thing was a year old I would definitely get it checked out! Optoma's customer service is EXCELLENT! I did a warranty through them and they never even asked me for proof of purchase or anything...so I'd give them a call or email and ask them about it.

Old 02-14-07, 11:37 AM   #3
Senior Shackster
Bronze Supporter

jack
Since: Sep 2006
Chicago Suburbs, IL USA

I would send it in also.

the cost of bulbs is too high to replace after 5-600 hours.
plus if they find something wrong with the PJ, they might just give you a free bulb.

You might also check to see that your mounting conditions aren't adding extra heat.

I have an epson PJ behind a glass window in my setup.
my old projector was rear venting so it wasnt a problem.
the epson is front venting so it's throwing heat right at the window.
All that heat is getting trapped, so I added a $10 box fan to the shelf, and blow air over the whole area, now it's nice and cool...

- Jack

Old 02-14-07, 04:18 PM   #4
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor
Since: Oct 2006
South of Adelaide
My System

I think I would be jumping up and down on somebody if my lamp only lasted for those short hours..
That's terrible...Definitely sound like a bad unit...
I would be asking for two replacement lamps after all that trouble..

Old 02-14-07, 04:56 PM   #5
Senior Shackster

Bob
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Is the unit in an area where it's building up heat? That'll cook 'em QUICK!
If it's "out in the open", that's WAAAYY to often to be messing with high dollar bulbs.
Are you buying the bulbs from the manufacturer, or "O.E." bulbs, not some cheap "off brand" bulb?
Does this unit have an air filter that may be clogged? That'll buld up heat too.

My Sanyo PLV Z2 is about one year old and runs 2-3 hours almost every night, and runs on the weekends almost ALL DAY. I've never replaced a bulb, and it's not shown any signs that it's getting dimmer.
I've not found where on the menu to find the "HOURS USED" or "LAMP LIFE"..... but I feel at this point I've gotten my monies worth out this bulb.

Call tech support, or email them (IMHO)

Bob

Old 02-14-07, 07:40 PM   #6
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny
Since: Apr 2006
Millbrook AL

My Sanyo PLv-z3 its about two years old and we watch at least 4 movies a week and there is no sing of the bulb needing to be replace, I agree with everybody else, you need to send it back!!

Old 02-14-07, 09:12 PM   #7
Banned!

majorloser
Since: May 2006
I started this thread.

Yes, it's in the open in an area where the AC duct blows past it.
I only buy OEM bulbs directly from Optoma (or any equipment manufacturer).
I use my projector almost every day for 3 to 4 hours straight.
Yes, the filters are kept clean and the unit is kept clean of dust.
Yes, the unit is on an APC SmartUPS that has AVR (auto voltage regulation).

To be honest, I'm just tired of sending equipment back to factories and waiting. I've got many nightmare stories that I just don't want to get into.

But, I'll see if Optoma can do anything for me

Old 02-15-07, 05:35 AM   #8
Senior Shackster

Bob
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

When I had a problem with a Harman Kardon, they told me to check thier website for an authorized repair shop that is close to me. I had to drive about 35 miles, but it was much quicker than shipping it off somewhere.

Bob

Old 02-15-07, 01:33 PM   #9
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Since: Feb 2007
Empire Township, MN
My System

My first lamp lasted about 480 hours. It developed a 'flickering' problem. Sent it back to Mitsubishi and they replaced the lamp for free. They also stated that the lamp should last at least 2000 hours with the average being 3000-3500 hours.

It could be a bad ballast.

mech

Old 02-15-07, 04:17 PM   #10
Senior Shackster

Harold
Since: Jun 2006
Brookfield, OH
My System

When I sent my projector off to optoma it was gone about 2 weeks. So not very long.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Projectors »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »