Optoma EP721 - Flickering colors - DIY Repairable? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Projectors
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 8590 - Replies: 17  
Old 11-19-10, 02:41 PM   #1
Senior Shackster

Bob
Since: Oct 2006
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
I started this thread.
Optoma EP721 - Flickering colors - DIY Repairable?

Hey fellas.
A buddy of mine sent me this message the other day asking for my help. I gave him my advice, but it seemed a bit weak in my opinion. So I thought I'd come to you fellas and see what you'd say.
====================

It's been a while and everything was going great until a few days ago. My projector started flickering colors. I did some research around the web and have come to the conclusion/assumption that it is more than likely the color wheel sensor. It seems that the Optoma HD70 has a dedicated "hate club" for this very problem. I'm thinking that my EP721 is suffering from the same thing. Of course Best Buy won't open it or send it out for repairs, they will only replace it with an inferior model. I am contemplating opening it up and cleaning the sensor. Have you had this happen with your projector? I haven't checked the price for the out of warranty repairs from Optoma, but a youTube poster has me worried they are just going to over charge me to clean the sensor. His final bill ended up being about $300 after they replaced a couple parts, labor, etc. But he had the same problem again.

You think its a good idea to pop off the top and try to clean it myself?
====================

Whatcha think? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance guys!

Bob

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-10, 03:08 PM   #2
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Since: Feb 2007
Empire Township, MN
My System
Re: Optoma EP721 - Flickering colors - DIY Repairable?

I think that this is a good question for lcaillo or glaufman.

Old 11-20-10, 09:59 PM   #3
Elite Shackster

lsiberian
Since: Mar 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Quote:
Bob in St. Louis wrote: View Post
Hey fellas.
A buddy of mine sent me this message the other day asking for my help. I gave him my advice, but it seemed a bit weak in my opinion. So I thought I'd come to you fellas and see what you'd say.
====================

It's been a while and everything was going great until a few days ago. My projector started flickering colors. I did some research around the web and have come to the conclusion/assumption that it is more than likely the color wheel sensor. It seems that the Optoma HD70 has a dedicated "hate club" for this very problem. I'm thinking that my EP721 is suffering from the same thing. Of course Best Buy won't open it or send it out for repairs, they will only replace it with an inferior model. I am contemplating opening it up and cleaning the sensor. Have you had this happen with your projector? I haven't checked the price for the out of warranty repairs from Optoma, but a youTube poster has me worried they are just going to over charge me to clean the sensor. His final bill ended up being about $300 after they replaced a couple parts, labor, etc. But he had the same problem again.

You think its a good idea to pop off the top and try to clean it myself?
====================

Whatcha think? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance guys!

Bob
It is a lamp issue. Turn ECO mode off and you will see it go away. It has to do with the way the lamps burn. I just had this issue this week and turning ECO mode off worked like a charm.

Old 11-21-10, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior Shackster

Bob
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
I started this thread.

Thank you very much for the replies fellas.

Yesterday I received a couple new messages from him, here the are:
================

It took me a while to figure out what Eco mode was. On my model there is an option to turn the lamp from STD to Bright. Consulting the manual clued me in when it said STD extended the lamp life to 130%. I waited for the projector to flicker before switching the setting. The immediate effect was that the flickering stopped. But after a few minutes of running in Bright mode, it started to flicker again. The flickering is more sporadic, but is not gone. Does that mean that the bulb is starting to go? Best Buy sent me a replacement bulb, but I did not want to put that in just yet since I am around 1800 hrs and even in bright mode, I should have around 200 left.

I suppose replacing the bulb is my next step to see if the problem persists. The funny thing is, while it was at Best Buy they had it running for at least 30 mins straight and it never flickered. Granted, after bringing it home and testing it out myself, the times to get the flickering to start varied. One test was around 10 minutes, while another time it didn't start for at least 45-60 mins. Before I replace the bulb, I want to call Best Buy to make sure that using the bulb doesn't infringe on the unit replacement policy.

=================

I might have spoke to soon in my previous message. I turned everything off, and let it cool down. I fired it back up with the new settings from the get go and its been steady for at least 30 minutes. I'm gonna let it keep running until I Rampage beats Lyoto and see if it will keep going with no flickering.

=================

Well, no luck. After about an hour it started to flicker again. That setting doesn't seem to fix the problem. So maybe it is in need of a new lamp?

=================

I'm thinking about telling him it's the lamp, and to replace it, but he should check with BB policy first.
Agreed?

Thanks again,
Bob

Old 11-21-10, 11:03 AM   #5
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Empire Township, MN
My System

Double check on his problem, if it's just flickering then I agree with the lamp. If it's flickering colors, like he originally said, it is more than likely something else.

Old 11-21-10, 11:27 AM   #6
Senior Shackster

Bob
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
I started this thread.

Hmmm....Good call mech. I'll check and get back with ya.
Thanks man,
Bob

Old 11-21-10, 02:31 PM   #7
Elite Shackster

lsiberian
Since: Mar 2009
Fort Worth, TX

It has something to do with the way the lamps burn in according to what I read. I'd push the issue further on my PJ, but I kinda want it to go out so I can replace it.

Old 11-21-10, 04:48 PM   #8
Senior Shackster

Bob
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
I started this thread.

Thanks again guys!

Here's his reply today:

=====================

Yeah it's flickering colors. Here's a link to a youtube video of someone with the Optoma HD70 with the same problem I am having.

I checked with Best Buy and they said replacing the lamp with the one they sent would not affect an exchange if the problem continues. I switched out the lamp and fired it up. Fingers crossed it won't flicker anymore. If it does, well, Best Buy might be giving me a new projector.

Old 11-21-10, 04:50 PM   #9
Senior Shackster

Bob
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
I started this thread.

Time will tell........More to come............

Old 11-21-10, 05:54 PM   #10
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Empire Township, MN
My System

That does not appear to be a bulb issue to me.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Projectors »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »