Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Are projectors still a secret?

69K views 113 replies 35 participants last post by  chmcke01 
#1 ·
I was wondering if you all think that projectors are still widely unknown to the general public? Do you think that if more people knew about them that they would but a projector over a TV? Also would that have a positive or negative effect on the industry and it's customers?

#32 ·
Yeah, if 99.9% of your sales force has no knowledge about PJ's that right there will kill alot of possible potential customers. Because they will do things like you just described.
I like being part of the PJ group, but would love if they got more mainstream because that would rive prices even lower even more quickly.

Now imagine going to BB or CC or the like and they had a 100"+ screen set-up even slightly properly anywhere near the t.v.'s and their prices are the same. That would be a great day - imo.

#34 ·
MatrixDweller,

Some responses to your additional facts:

-The US population has increased primarily after the 1965 immigration reform act which began to
change the demographics of the country. There was modest immigration combined with rapid acculturation prior to that. Since movies were origiinally designed for mass consumption, how do you appeal to a populace that no longer has a common identity to appeal to? In the forties the concept of 'multi-culturalism' was alien (pun intended) and everyone subscribed to the melting pot theory so it was easier to make a movie that would have mainstream interest. It's more difficult today
with multi-culturalism entrenched in the media. I don't subscribe to it but Hollywood does.

-The average number of seats in the forties was about 600 for smaller theaters and upwards of
5000 for the movie palaces with Radio City Music Hall being the largest. The usurping TV medium
began for force the closing of the palaces in the fifites and sixties, however the neighborhood
theaters that were built to replace them still had an average of 600 seats and the drive ins could
accomodate large numbers too so the 20,000 screens just shifted from the large flat tops to the
ozoners. Even in the seventies and eighties, as multi-plexes were built and drive ins folded, the
number of actual screens (regardless of how many seats were in each theater) remained the
same so it would appear that 20,000 was the right number. I have no idea why they decided to
double the number of screens in the nineties with limited attendence and product available to
show. It didn't make any sense and is probably not sustainable.

-Since the FCC decided to regulate and control broadcasting (as an extension of radio), TV was delayed for many years as they sorted out who and when stations should be able to operate. Had it been in the private sector from the beginning (like cable), it would've been introduced earlier. Once the networks
established themselves in the early fifties with the FCC, they fought any attempts to introduce 'pay TV'. Theater owners also tried to prevent non-regulated cable television from being shown with campaigns supporting 'free TV' even though broacast television was also competition.

-You're correct that home entertainment cut into theaterical attendence in the late forties and early fifties and in the seventies and eighties. However, theaters did fight back and increase attendence
in each era by introducing spectacular new technology that you couldn't get at home. 3-D, Cinerama,
CinemaScope, VistaVision and Todd-AO did increase attendence in the fifties to a sustainable level
after it was cut in half due to the boob tube. In the seventies, 70mm and six track stereo was re-introduced with blockbusters like "Star Wars", "Close Encounters" and "Superman". However, as VHS
and cable began to reduce attendence again in the mid-eighties through the nineties, rather than trying
to introduce new formats or improve presentation, cinemas cut corners in all areas which not only did
not increase attendence but continued it on it's downward spiral. Theaters that played 70mm grossed
better than those playing 35mm of the same title but the megaplexes refused to install the equipment
in the houses which was the last place for Showmanship.

-I agree with you that theatrical exhibition is essentially 'paid advertising' for the ancillary markets
of home video and cable although perhaps that term shouldn't be used any more. The ancillary markets
are the primary markets now. They're not really trying to 'put on a show' in the megaplexes or 'wow' you
but rather to hype the product so people have heard of it and are inspired to rent or purchase it on
DVD. There's certainly a lot more effort and showmanship put into the home video release than the
quickly cranked out and disposable release prints that are struck for quick play off and destruction.

-If they can find a way of hyping the product and bypassing theatrical, they will abandon it since it's
so expensive to make prints and advertise in this venue. There probably will remain some IMAX type
of theaters or other high end places but the 37,000 megaplexes will fold like dominoes as did the
drive ins and palaces. Whereas I still miss demolished Rivoli, Cinerama and Regency cinemas
I used to attend in New York City, I certainly won't miss the megaplexes since I haven't had any
memorable (good) experiences there and a whole lot of bad experiences.

#35 ·
Great post.

I wonder if getting rid of the "Straight to DVD" stigma can be lifted -- and if so, if that would be the death-knell for the cinema. At least for non-blockbuster movies. I think there will always be a cinema market for teen-y movies and ultra-mega-explosion fests.

I went to home cinema for the exact reasons you mentioned: I stopped having a good time at the cineplexes. Movies I was looking forward to were ruined by other people, bad sound, or bad prints (lip sync, reel changes, lighting problems, etc).

So far, I do not regret the move. Movies in my basement are always the right lighting, volume, and people :)

#36 ·
Anthony,

Steven Seagal has been doing straight to DVD releases and surviving. A lot of indies do it too.
Perhaps some major filmmaker/distributor will try a straight to DVD release combined with a multi-media publicity campaign as a test. That means taking out newspaper ads, getting interviews on talk shows and so forth as if there's a theatrical opening but instead selling to consumers directly in retail stores.
It would be a very risky proposal but if it worked, would have a real impact on exhibition and how
movies are marketed.

One of big problems of theatrical release is it's so astronomically expensive
to make hard copies compared to DVD copies. In the range of $1000-$1500
per print for most movies and the prints don't look good. Top quality DVDs can be mass produced for a fraction of that
cost. Newpaper ads for films are charged at a higher column inch rate than
regular ads too. If the distributor doesn't at least break even in exhibition,
he recoups out of home video, cable and foreign sales which is why many movies don't make much (if any) profit for the filmmakers. However, if you don't go
theatrical there is a stigma attached, at least for the time being and you won't
make as much potential profit as if you went theatrical. It's a high risk/high
stakes business.

#37 ·
First, this is the impression from most people. This is what I have heard when I was in a AV store. One man came into the projector room and said under his voice. "It looks good hear because they have the expensive screen and high end audio but if you had this at home it would not look or sound that good. The screen alone will cost you $2000".

Second, Poor Displays Drive Away Sales
I think places like Sam's club that sell low end projectors under full lighting have people convinced that projectors do not provide clear pictures. Especially when they sell them next to the plasma and LCD TVs.

Third, Everyone wants a Plasma
Plasma has been on the mind of every consumer since they first came out. Everyone wanted one. Everyone talked about the rich guy they knew that owned a flat screen TV and hung it on the wall. Now in the reach of every consumer the plasma is the TV that will be purchased. Once everyone has one and the novelty is completely worn off then Projectors will see an amazing increase of sales. That is my opinion.

#38 ·
Third, Everyone wants a Plasma
Plasma has been on the mind of every consumer since they first came out. Everyone wanted one. Everyone talked about the rich guy they knew that owned a flat screen TV and hung it on the wall. Now in the reach of every consumer the plasma is the TV that will be purchased. Once everyone has one and the novelty is completely worn off then Projectors will see an amazing increase of sales. That is my opinion.
Yep and wait until the paper thin screens technology picks up more. Then that will be the new coolest thing to have despite any limitations it may have. All the store has to do is just tape it to the wall and people will go bonkers.

#39 ·
If plasma and/or LCD technology becomes less expensive and the panel size increases to over 100" then home theater projects could become extinct. Unless projectors raise the bar. Typically the advantage projectors have is picture size and price, so if that goes away why would you buy a projector.

Another downside to buying a projector for the lay person is that you need to also buy a separate sound system. HTIB are cheap but built in speakers on the display are always nice and convenient. People like my parents can't figure out how to make standard connections on the back of their TV let alone a receiver w/ speakers.

#40 ·
If plasma and/or LCD technology becomes less expensive and the panel size increases to over 100" then home theater projects could become extinct. Unless projectors raise the bar. Typically the advantage projectors have is picture size and price, so if that goes away why would you buy a projector.

Another downside to buying a projector for the lay person is that you need to also buy a separate sound system. HTIB are cheap but built in speakers on the display are always nice and convenient. People like my parents can't figure out how to make standard connections on the back of their TV let alone a receiver w/ speakers.

1. I think you must have not seen some good quality PJ's. My Marantz looks every bit as good or better than any LCD flat panel I've ever seen and better than alot of DLP's and plasmas in PQ.

2. If you are happy with t.v. speakers I don't know what to say. Audio is half of HD. Speakers in t.v.'s(especially flat panels) are aweful and would totally ruin a good HD experience for me.

-jmo

#41 ·
Keep in mind that there are many people who still have no clue that HD TV is as good as it is. I was just in an HMV store yesterday and the sales person asked me as I was looking at the HD DVDs "do I have an HD DVD player" I said "yes" and then he proceeded to say that he gets at least two people a day that return HD or Blu-Ray DVDs that have been bought form his store saying that "they did not work" and it turns out that they only have an standard DVD player.
I have a cousin who thinks that his Samsung Upconverting DVD player IS HD quality and wont be getting a True HD/Blu-Ray DVD palyer. And he wont listen to me when I tell him he is wrong.
The industry is not educating people on the advantages of Projectors/Plasma/LCD/DLP displays and High Definition video. I Just have a Sanyo Z2 and I will never go to a movie theater again because I have better picture quality and sound than any theater I have been to in my opinion and others who have been over. As a matter of fact I have two friends that have now started to build there own theater rooms because of the experience they had at my house.

#42 · (Edited)
I have always questioned how ready the general public will be when the US switches to HD in 2009. I think there may be opportunities for people who are knowledgable in HD to provide services for those who don't understand what is involved. Despite all the warnings, I think there are going to be a lot of people calling shops when they get up and find that their TVs aren't working. I also think the industry is trying but there are just too many people not paying attention.

Bob

#44 ·
I'm sure there will be plenty digital-analog converter boxes available to them when the time comes.
Yes, the converters will be available but I still think that a lot of people aren't paying attention and will not know to buy them. I may be wrong but from what I've seen of human nature, I tend to believe that a lot of people have to be hit over the head before they pay attention.

:dontknow:

Bob

#48 · (Edited)
There are a few fundemental issues with new technologies which are obvious to some, not very clear to others and completely lost on a few.

Once there wasn't much choice, a CRT display of various sizes and projection CRT for the few. The situation was simple for the consumer, need a TV, go to store, choose one that fits the money in the wallet, walk out of the store with silly grin:bigsmile:

Now in the last few years the choice is imense, let alone the minor brand differences the types of different display technologies leave most in a state of flux with information overload.

When I first mentioned projection to my partner she thought I meant a like the old school reel to reel wobbly sound track. At that point she didn't get it.
Most people only understand projectors once they have seen one in action, set up reasonbly correctly.

Before anyone gets this far though, some hurdles need to be addressed.

The first major hurdle for the consumer, First you must ask the right questions.

The second major hurdle is, Do you know what you actually want?

The third major hurdle, the answer must fit the question being asked.

It could be argued that the response fits the seller not the consumer and here is one of the fundemental issues.

The average person who frequents these types of forums tends towards the informed consumer and can go into a store and ask the right question, being informed that consumer also has a fair idea if the response is the correct answer.

You might think, what the is this guy on about?
Well Projection is a secret because it is easier to sell straight forward technology as LCD or plasma DTV's.

Projectors are more about the total experience of field of view and acceptence of an artificial reality than the technology itself. The technology is really a means to an ends, if it could be done easier you would do that instead.

#49 ·
I know this is an old thread, and I apologize for bumping it... but on the cost issue... i paid $500 for my projector brand new, and admittedly it is an entry level... i still challenge anyone to find as awesome of a rear projected tv for $500. I personally think projectors are the CHEAPER route to go. The only downfall is daytime viewing.

#50 ·
I personally think projectors are the CHEAPER route to go. The only downfall is daytime viewing.
You resurrected this old thread, but I'm brand-new, so I'll bite: pjs HAVE gotten cheaper than standalones, but there are numerous ancillary issues associated with them that standalones don't have: screen type and size, fixed vs. electric/pulldown, throw distance/pj positioning, light blockage/traffic between pj and screen, possible keystoning, ambient light/reflections, location of sources vs. cabling to pj, etc. etc.

Most "normal" people, like my wife, just want to push one button to turn on the TV and get a picture with sound. It CAN BE almost that easy for a pj, but again you gotta spend more money e.g. remote-with-macros or HTPC-with-touchscreen ad nauseum.

My wife wouldn't even like the remote-with-single-macro-button idea, cuz she'd complain she couldn't find the right remote control! Or the right button on it! EMID! (everyone's mileage is different!)

G
#51 ·
A friend of mine purchased a sammy dlp tv and it looked ok for a rptv,
What I did was buy an entry level dlp 720p fp which i use on weekends which I
use on the weekends and my projector looks so much better .

#52 ·
This is a great thread that deserves to be a sticky.

Just would like to mention projectors are not widespread as other display types are more versatile. They can be used with ambient light, the can be turned on and off without making calculations :), no bulbs, relatively "plug and play", no installation skill required....whatever. But I honestly do not think it is a matter of picture quality. While it is true a flat panel will be much sharper and clearer than a FP setup, it often lacks the size & details that can be generated by a good FP.
As opposed to common display types, a projector needs "attention and respect" when played, and it has its qualities and can create a special atmosphere no other display type can provide.
Getting back to the topic of that thread... For me the answer is definitely yes, projectors are unfortunately still a secret for most, but I guess this is changing slowly but surely :T

#53 ·
I wouldn't have considered a projector if I didn't have a dedicated space to build a home theater. I don't think it's so much a secret as many realize, as we did, that the projector cost is only a fraction of the cost of going front projector. I'm going to use a HT receiver I already have, but after speaker upgrades and getting a blu-ray player, I'll be dropping an additional $2.5K in electronics. That's not chump change.

When we built our house five years ago, we planned in an area in the basement that's totally light controlled. We haven't felt we watched TV enough to shell out the money to finish out the area. I also feared if we did, we'd end up spending too much time in it just trying to justify going to the expense.

We're not typical TV watchers. We watch mostly rented movies and Turner Classic Movies, with some PBS thrown in. I think they're all perfect for the home theater, especially if TCM goes HD.

In addition, we plan to buy an LCD TV to watch standard TV fare to save on bulb expense. I understand it's pretty common.

When I was trying to decide about going with front projection, I just couldn't find a setup to demo. The first time I saw what I consider a good demo is when I temporarily set up my projector and projected on a wall primed with Kilz2. It wasn't anywhere close to a proper setup, but I was completely blown away with IQ. Can't wait to finish!

Doug

#54 ·
I had set up my projector before getting my HT done. I just projected it onto a wall to see how it would look. The wall was painted with a beige paint. Not nearly the idea surface or colour. My jaw still hit the ground when I saw the PQ from my HD-DVD player. The projector was nothing extravagent either, just an Epson 550 that only does 1080i max.

I've also tossed around the idea of getting a small TV for my HT to save bulb life, but figure that it's only $350 for a new bulb that will last for 2000-3000. 3000 hours would be 8.2 hours of use each and every day for 365 days. I'm not a couch potato so in total I probably watch at most 16 hours of TV and movies in a week but typically half that amount. So even if I split the difference and said I watched 12 hours a week that would mean I used about 600 hours of bulb life in a year. That would take me about 5 years to burn the bulb out.

To buy a TV that would make me happy enough to watch HD cable on would probably cost as much as a new projector anyway (with a new bulb inside).

#58 ·
I have a multi-purpose room so we also have a 55" HDTV there for our casual viewing.

It was fun when I was shopping for the set. They guys in Best Buy knew I was going to be buying something that day and I let it slip I just got my annual bonus, so they were pointing me to the 60" plus sets and were surprised when I told them I only wanted a 55" or smaller. I explained why- so it wouldn't interfere with the projector screen, they understood but the fun part was when they started asking me questions!

Anyway, I hear what you are saying about bulb life and viewing. One thing to keep in mind is yes you can get 2000-3000 hours out of a bulb depending on the projector, bulb, and which mode you use... but you start losing image brightness fast once you hit the 50% life point. At first it's not much, just a slight drop in the 'punch', but it goes downhill from there.

You sound a lot like me as far as projector viewing habits, but some people out there treat it like a big TV and others only have a projector and the entire family uses it daily. I know of some people that went through a bulb in way less than a year. Projector bulbs also generate a lot of heat, and after a couple of bulbs all that heat can start having an effect on the optics in the projector. I agree though that with most people a bulb will last a long time, but I fully expect to have to buy a bulb for my projector long before I have to for my HDTV starts showing any signs of wear.

#56 ·
Are projectors still a secret?

Yesterday, I invited 2 collegues (highly ranked engineers) from work at home. I tried my best to describe my room and equipment to them before we decided to get home. I focused on picture quality a lot. They told me they knew about LCDs, Plasmas... but letting alone cinemas, they only saw business projectors in action.

They stayed in my theater from 6 PM till midnight. They were BLOWN AWAY. But they told me they could expect everything in my theater but PQ. They told me they didn't guess a projector PQ could be that high.

They definitely discovered a secret :)

#57 ·
I do think people know they are out there but I think the impression is that they are more exotic, expensive, hard to setup, and lower quality.

Projectors definitely are exotic and to many the only time they see or read anything about them is in the various Home Theater magazines, which I personally feel are sometimes a bit out of touch with the average consumer. I say that because when they do feature an HT setup, it is usually some celebrity or a high profile installation that exceeds what a person is ready to shell out.

Everyone I talk to has the impression that having a projector means a $50K project of building a dedicated room done by professional installers. So that definitely lends to the exotic perception.

What most don't see or read about is how more and more people are using projectors in multi-purpose rooms that aren't specially designed dedicated 'theaters'.

Then there is the issue that they aren't nearly as easy to setup as an HDTV. I know of no one that comes home with a new projector and are watching it that night. No matter what the room setting, be it a dedicated HT room or a multi purpose room, a projector setup takes more planning than just buying a TV.

Next is cost. Again thanks to a lot of the print magazines people tend to only see and read about projectors that are either a brand new release or some top of the line (meaning expensive) unit. They may not be projector experts, but they do know that a screen is also required as well as mounts, cables, and time. Most people I know think it's more hassle than it's worth.

Image quality and screens- A big perception is that a projector just can't have a good image, at least nowhere near that of a stand alone HDTV. Depending on how things are setup; the screen, and the viewing conditions, that can be a very true statement. The biggest problem is that projectors do not handle daylight very well at all. They can be very surprising with even high levels of man made room lighting, but when it comes to mother nature and sunlight... well the typical setup doesn't usually live up to expectations.

Part of this has to do with screens. Actually a good percentage of everything mentioned has to do with the screen. You can have one of the best quality and most expensive projectors made but in the wrong environment and with the wrong screen it will look bad. Not might, it will.

Screens are a whole other arena that has its own set of problems and stigma. Is a plain jane unity gain matte white screen that costs almost $2grand really better than a $500 matte white unity gain screen? The short answer is no. But it really isn't that easy. We have fixed frame screens, retractable screens, motorized screens, tab-tensioned screens... the list is almost endless. Some people simply do not want a fixed frame screen and others can't accommodate one, or in a multi-purpose room it could be a wife approval thing where she wants it out of sight when not in use. Retractable screens are relatively inexpensive, even for a good quality screen material and even an electric remote controlled one. The problem is most aren't tab-tensioned and they eventually will develop waves in the screen, which will ruin the viewing experience.

Some people turn to DIY, but even that has a stigma. At first glance DIY can often look like a bunch of nuts, and a total lack of standards throughout the online community makes it almost impossible to really get a good comfort level whether they actually work. They do, but again we come full circle to the comment that it all depends on the setting and how well everything is matched up.

I have written about this before and in reality most people are working backwards. It's not really their fault though. By backwards, let me explain- Typically a person sees a projector at a friend's house or in a store with a proper viewing room and they are blown away by the size. Big boys like big toys! Anyway, they look at the price and think 'Hmmm, that's not as much as I thought'. Some models are even a lot less than an HDTV, so visions and dreams start filling their head and they pull out the card and buy the projector. Granted that's not how everyone does it, the main point is at some time or another a person catches the projector fever but not knowing much about them, they usually buy the projector first and then think about the screen.

That is where everything is backwards. I see a lot of people blow their entire budget on a projector without ever even thinking about a screen. Then they start to see that some screens can cost as much or more than what they spent on the projector. Worse, they may have purchased a lower lumen projector suited for a dedicated room and expect it to look good in a family room that has absolutely no light control. When this happens they usually aren't very satisfied with the experience and that's what all their friends hear. Then the perception and stigma grows and a lot of people flat out think projectors mean big image, but poor quality.

The very first thing a person needs to do is sit down and seriously evaluate what it is they want and expect. Part of this step is being totally honest about viewing habits. Will it be used during the day? At night with some, or even a fair amount of lighting on? What are the room dimensions? What is the color of the walls and ceiling and will that create a problem? Once it is determined what the range of viewing settings will be like then a screen type can be thought about. Basically that boils down to two types, gray screens or white screens. Those with lighting issues or that want to have some lights on will need at least a light gray screen. Those that want to watch during the day and can't stop all the sunlight from coming in will need a different type of screen as compared to the person that either has a dedicated setup or only watches movies at night with total light control.

From there, a person can then start looking at projectors and find one that will work well with not only the screen but also the room setting and their viewing preferences. Hence the reason I say things are usually done backwards... typically the projector comes first and the screen is an after thought.

Then we have to mount everything and figure out how to run the cables! Most people have no idea what all is involved with a projector, but they know it is a lot more work than taking something out of a box, plugging it in and firing it up. So with that I don't think projectors are a secret as much as I think they are viewed more like an exotic sports car. Most guys would love to have one, but think they are either too much work, or cost way too much. Well... what if I told everyone here that you can buy a Porsche that gets 32-34MPG and only spend around $4k? I'm dead serious about that, or buy a BMW for $2500... No gimmicks at all and I'm not being funny here. My point is if a person educates themselves first and then learns where to look and what to look for, projectors are not some exotic thing out of the grasp of us mere mortals.

#59 ·
My wife's cousin came over on the weekend. He had just bought a 46" LCD HDTV for about $2500. He thought the PQ of my projector was great and asked how much I paid for it. When I said $500 for the projector and $70 in materials for the screen his jaw dropped. I think I got lucky on the projector, but even at twice the price it beat the pants off his LCD and at double the screen size to boot.

One thing he said was that I needed a receiver and speakers though so it probably cost a lot more. I replied that a decent HTIB would probably cost no more than $800 and give way better sound than what comes out of the TV's stereo speakers. His jaw dropped again.

I couldn't agree more with you wbassett. The setup for the average user would be daunting and not every guy/gal is a DIYer. This would tend to kill the sale for most people.

I'd also like to add that after buying the projector, cables, screen and installation by a pro the costs would approach that of LCDs and Plasmas. You'd get a bigger screen however. But just like building a fire you sit close to a small one but need to sit back far with a bonfire.

#60 ·
I couldn't agree more with you wbassett. The setup for the average user would be daunting and not every guy/gal is a DIYer. This would tend to kill the sale for most people.

I'd also like to add that after buying the projector, cables, screen and installation by a pro the costs would approach that of LCDs and Plasmas. You'd get a bigger screen however. But just like building a fire you sit close to a small one but need to sit back far with a bonfire.
I honestly think the average joe can handle a projector installation, it just takes some planning and a little bit of self education is all.

Cables... ugh! I'd say a professional installation will far exceed the cost of an LCD or Plasma. We all know were to buy cables, and I only spent $40 on my 50' HDMI cable. I know some people that spent more than that for a 6' HDMI cable! And we also know that most (can never say all) pro installers probably use the same cables at the same price we get but charge much more. Cables are a source of quick profits when it comes to installation work and often make up for 'deals' and cuts made in other areas.

I am definitely a projector fan and depending on whether we stay in the house we have now or move, I plan on building onto this house and making a dedicated theater complete with a lobby and games!

I got my first projector back in 1989 or so, it was a tank of a crt projector. A couple years ago I got back into projectors with a refurbished Sharp I paid around $400 for, and like you said, people were blown away at how it looked. I'm up to a 720p projector now and the image just keeps getting better and better looking! It 'almost' rivals my SXRD and when you throw in the size factor (106" vs 55") there is no contest. :)

Still, we use the TV for casual viewing and the projector for big epic movies and events.

#61 ·
I also use my TV for casual watching...but since my theater was completed I am most of the time watching movies. I like the atmosphere of a dedicated HT. Casual watching rate has gone down!

#63 ·
lol

#64 ·
Yes, Projectors are still a secret from where I now reside!
Most of the people`s preception is that projectors are costly, need to replace bulb after life span,image not sharp and vibrant as compare to LCD or Plasma TV, need dark area or a dedicate room,
setup cost with cabling and mounting high.
A point in case are, in outdoor night stall serving `teh tarik` or mamak stall they call it here,there is usually projection display of analog program by the local tv or channel tv station using a data projector. Most of the display are not clear and sharp. Thus the public perception is that projectors cannot provide good quality images as compared to LCD or Plama TV.
Currently, all TV station in my country is still transmitting analog program and have yet to go digital.
When I first set up my Home Theatre in my home, there is little information I could gather from my market place with regards to setting up a home theatre projector.Most retailers will try to push the expensive high end projectors such as Runco or low end data projectors.
It is no wonder the home projectors have still a long way to go despite the improved in technology and competitive pricing as compared to LCD or Plasma TV!
Loong

#66 ·
I love my projector...but I think the biggest reason people won't get them, is the same reason that tv manufacturers crank up the contrast on their sets. People will buy what pops. The only exposure most people get from a projector is either in a store (no light control) or at a sports bar (again no light control). In both of these scenarios, there is most likely a few flat panels set up next to them, or in the next room. By comparison, the front projector doesn't stand a chance.

#67 ·
LCD / PLASMA TV is the IN things now in my country and most family will buy one as the prices are down with keen competition! As for Home Theatre Projectors or data projectors the knowledge about them is still very low! Most people cannot tell the difference between the usage of home theatre from a data projector! As such, the dealers selling these equipments will readily push the LCD/Plasma TV as compared with the Projectors. Set up or installation for LCD/Plasma TV is much simple than the Projector as the latter required a certain distance from the screen known as Throw distance in order to determine the projection size of the image.Thus, one need a dedicated place to project the image as compared to the LCD/Plasma TV which does not need one.
Most home in the city does not have the privilege of a spacious room, thus to use a projection system is out of question.As such, projection system is still a secret to most people as not much people are using them as compared to LCD/ Plasma TV.

#68 ·
Good points, but I wouldn't rule out smaller rooms. My room is only 1500 cubic feet, and I have two rows of seating :eek:

#70 ·
I built one from lumen lab with a 400 wat bulb it turned out nice but not practicle because it was huge and ugly.. I have a frien of mine that bought a projector from ebay (DONT:rofl:) but it was one of the ones with the 60.00 bulbs and has a built in tv tuner.. It says HDMI 1080 on the box .. He paid about 400.00 for it last year and he still hasn't had to use the 2nd bulb they sent for free..I was really impressed with this thing It looks like the oxpro projector.. The only thing is the fan is a little annoying.. I would say he watches this thing about 5 hours a day.. The picture quality with the lights on isnt to bad ( Stillnot as good as my RPTV :devil:) But too bad for me I dont have room for a projector in my den :hissyfit:) I would probably not buy a cheapy if I could help it but for a 1 time family night movie I would almost enjoy to have one like his..
I used to knock cheap china knock offs until I bought a fake Honda clone motor for my steam cleaner because the real 18hp honda thru a rod .. The china motor has been going strong for 2 years now.. So I may try a china projector one day when I have somewhere to put it... :dontknow:

#71 ·
I thought I'd toss my two cents into this thread based on my experience.

How did I become a projector owner?

In october of 2008 I had been watching Blu-Rays thinking about how to get a bigger TV because I wasn't satisfied with the size of my 27" Sanyo anymore. So I started looking at TVs and even the 32" ones were far out of my budget range.

I thought how can I possibly get a bigger picture when I don't have enough to even buy a 32" tv. Then a light bulb went off. I could get a projector. So I started researching and discovered the Optoma EP719 that was used and only cost 150. It wasn't quite HD, but it was still 1024 x768 and probably better than the CRT or the 32" TV I thought about getting.

So I pulled the trigger. I had to rearrange my room completely to put the projector on a rear shelf. I had to use books and key-stoning to get the picture just right, but once I got it right it was a huge upgrade. The picture is way better than my old tv and the size is 80" on my current wall for widescreen. The bonus is for 4:3 material I get even bigger. It also forced my wife to allow me to move the couch away from the rear wall when I moved into her place making for better acoustics. Now I did have to replace the lamp, but still I get a way better deal than any tv in my budget.

It wasn't hard for me to setup or time consuming, but I'm an expert with Projectors. Still if your on a tight budget I'd be happy to help you with a low cost setup that would smash the old 27" tv. I can use it with a light on in the room and during the day with a curtain on the windows.

#72 ·
I have to chuckle every time I see this thread title. Projectors were the beginning of the whole Home Theater business. It was the Advent VideoBeam 1000 that started the whole thing. Many of the really successful dealers use projectors in a theater setting to excite people about home theater in general. IMO, any serious dealer that does not FEATURE projectors is really missing the greatest opportunity to create an impression. Unfortunately, we have seen 35 years of manufacturers and dealers missing the point.

#73 ·
I have to chuckle every time I see this thread title. Projectors were the beginning of the whole Home Theater business.
Thats really hitting the nail on the head, In my opinion a "home theater" is not a real home theater if it does not have a projector. Once you have one it would be very hard to go back to a flat panel display.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.