Need Advice on proj for dedicated room - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Projectors
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 1254 - Replies: 8  
Old 09-06-11, 11:28 PM   #1
Shackster

Patrick
Since: Feb 2010
I started this thread.
Need Advice on proj for dedicated room

I have a dedicated media room.

the size is 14'w x 18' L x 10' high
Wall for screen is 14x10
The seating will be 11' from the screen.
Room can be almost blacked out.
There will be a ceiling fan the project has to hang below.
I will be watching movies and sports in it.

budget for screen proj and mount is approx $1300

I was thinking about the mitsi 4000 but I read something about lense shifting when mounted on a high or low ceiling? LEt me knwo what you reccomend

Also what screen will work well the projector you are reccomending.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-11, 12:03 PM   #2
Shackster

Patrick
I started this thread.

If it helps here is a view of the room. The wall you see is there the screen will go. It is roughly 14x10

Attachments

Old 09-07-11, 12:17 PM   #3
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco
Since: Apr 2009
Houston, Tx
My System
Re: Need Advice on proj for dedicated room

I don't have any personal experience with the Mitsubishi, but here is a good review on it.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/mitsubishi/hc4000/

As far as recommendations go; I would go with the BenQ W6000. I have had mine for about 6 months now and it is absolutely phenomenal. The thing is a light cannon with brilliant color and awesome resolution.

Visual Apex has it for $1499. You have to add it to cart to see the price though.
http://www.visualapex.com/BenQ/Proje...?For-The=W6000

As for the screen, that depends on the light in the room. Is the light in the room 100% controllable?

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and Temple of Boom REDUX

Shiva 12" Build

Old 09-07-11, 04:20 PM   #4
Shackster

Patrick
I started this thread.

Thanks Dan,

Yes the light is 100% controlable I can block 100% of the sunlight. I want to be able to watch sports and have a little light.

THe BenQ6000 looks very nice but I want to try to keep around the $ range 1200.

The threee that keep coming up are the Mitsi HD4000, Epson 8350, and Optima HD20. Mitsi and Epson are the same price. Optima is about $200 less.

I like DLP and the Mitsi but am concenred about the lack of lens shifting. I am planning to mount it from the ceiling behind and below a ceiling fan.

Any comments on the Ceiling fan?

Old 09-07-11, 07:08 PM   #5
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor
Since: Oct 2006
South of Adelaide
My System

The Mits HC4000 would be my choice..In fact it's going to be my next projector..
It does not have lens shift, but several people have used keystone adjustment in situations where the required offset is not possible..They claim that the image quality does not suffer..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

www.dogboardingsa.com

Old 10-28-11, 10:36 AM   #6
Senior Shackster

Doug
Since: Jan 2008
Juliette, GA

Did you ever decide?

I have some good news, some bad news and some good news.

I just obtained the Mits HC-4000 and I'm ecstatic. It replaces an Optoma HD70 (which preceded the HD20) that died. I considered the HD20 and while I think Optomas are fine machines, the Mits is a true step up for very little extra. PQ is just wonderful and it was great out of the box.

Now, the bad news. The Mits, like all DLP projectors, has an image offset. If you tried to mount it below the fan, you'll have to point it up and then apply keystone adjustment. While a little adjustment is OK, aggressive adjustment will negatively affect image quality. Is the ceiling fan a hugger, or is it pole mounted? The good news it that you have 10' ceilings. If the fan is a hugger, you might be able to mount the projector lower and still have it level. If it's on a pole I think you'd be better off just removing the fan entirely or replacing it with a hugger.

Old 12-12-11, 08:43 PM   #7
Shackster

Patrick
I started this thread.

Quote:
Dale Rasco wrote: View Post
I don't have any personal experience with the Mitsubishi, but here is a good review on it.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/mitsubishi/hc4000/

As far as recommendations go; I would go with the BenQ W6000. I have had mine for about 6 months now and it is absolutely phenomenal. The thing is a light cannon with brilliant color and awesome resolution.

Visual Apex has it for $1499. You have to add it to cart to see the price though.
http://www.visualapex.com/BenQ/Proje...?For-The=W6000

As for the screen, that depends on the light in the room. Is the light in the room 100% controllable?
Hi Dan.
I have still not decided but have almost narrowed it down to the w6000. I think the more that I read the more difficult I am making my decision... My screen will only be 100". I read that this may be too much light for that small of a screen and a theater room. Most of the time I will be watching movies and sports on it with a side light. Any thoughts?

Also what screen are you using and what is the gain for it?

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 01-21-12, 10:24 AM   #8
Shackster

Kiwi
Since: Mar 2011
Findlay,Ohio

Guys, Patrick did say "budget for screen proj and mount is approx $1300"
as in $1300 for all three?

Read more: Need Advice on proj for dedicated room - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Old 01-21-12, 11:16 AM   #9
Shackster

Patrick
I started this thread.

Thanks everyone for the help. I bought a benq 6000 and elite screen. Obv over the 1300 budget

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Projectors »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »