Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

EPSON® PowerLite® Home Cinema 5010/5010e Official Thread

26K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  mechman 
#1 · (Edited)
The PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 and 5010e are designed to offer outstanding 3D and 2D image quality and performance for home entertainment and AV enthusiasts. With 1080p native resolution, contrast ratio of up to 200,000:1 and brightness of up to 2,400 lumens*, these extremely bright 3LCD projectors are ideal for viewing on large screens and in ambient light conditions. Featuring bright 3D Drive Technology, as well as cinema filter for improved color fidelity and a new Spilt Screen** mode for watching two sources at once, the Home Cinema 5010 and 5010e provide a fantastic big screen experience at home.

Estimated Street Price
Home Cinema 5010 – sub $2,999 (wired)
Home Cinema 5010e – sub-$3,499 (wireless)

Target Market

• Home entertainment and AV enthusiasts looking for outstanding 3D and 2D image quality and performance

High-Performing 3D Entertainment at Home

• 1080p resolution with bright 3D Drive Technology, which drives the panels at 480Hz, essentially doubling the image refresh rate of 240Hz panels, delivering ultra-bright images and reduced crosstalk
  • Bright 480 Hz drive technology for improving light output in 3D mode; extremely high brightness of up to 2,400 color and white light output* for viewing on large screens and in ambient light conditions
  • Outstanding contrast ratio of up to 200,000:1 for incredible black levels
  • Split Screen feature for watching two pictures at once, or watching TV and using the Internet at the same time**
  • Super Resolution technology and FineFrame™ Technology for smoother frame interpolation and sharper video quality (2D Mode)
  • Two anamorphic lens modes (stretch and squeeze) to enable 2.35:1 anamorphic viewing without an external processor***
  • 2D to 3D conversion to enhance your 3D experience
  • Cinema filter feature delivers larger color space for improved color fidelity
  • Excellent video image quality with Fujinon® OptiCinema™ lens (2.1 zoom ratio)
  • Epson 3LCD technology for amazing color and detail
  • WirelessHD for easy, high-quality audio and video connection to your HD sources without cables (5010e only)

Value-Add Features for Flexible Home Cinema

• Five colors modes in 2D and two color modes in 3D to easily adapt to different viewing environments
  • HDMI (two), component video, composite video, VGA, RCA audio, and USB connections for flexibility
  • 230 W E-TORL® lamp delivers high brightness and up to 6,000 hours of lamp life****
  • Dimensions – 14.4” x 16.5” x 5.4” (W x D x H)
  • Weight – 13.2 lb

Warranty and Support

• Two-year parts and labor limited warranty, 90-day lamp warranty, Epson Home Service Program and PrivateLine® dedicated toll-free support

PJCentral Review

Art's Review at ProjectorReview.com

###​

* Color and white light output will vary depending on mode selected. White light output measured using ISO 21118 standard.
** Split screen not available in 3D mode
*** For use with external fixed or movable anamorphic lens options
**** Lamp life will vary depending upon mode selected, environmental conditions and usage. Lamp brightness decreases over time.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been pondering over the 8700UB for a while now and now they went and came out with the new 5010!:yikes: Would there be any reason for a guy not really interested in 3D to jump $1,000 from the 8700UB? For this being my first projector purchase I wouldn't want to go the wrong way and waste $2,000 on a projector that is going to be discontinued in a year.

#3 ·
I have an 8700UB, and it's a great PJ! I haven't seen a full review yet, but from the first looks the advantages of the 5010 seem to be:

1. 3D. I don't care about this either.

2. 50% more lumens. That's very nice! It'll allow you to go with a bigger or a darker screen. Or a little of both! Or go with Eco mode on the lamp...

3. The 5010 should handle motion better. I'm waiting on a full review on that issue.

4. Motorized pixel alignment. Very nice. Should make for a very sharp picture. I'm waiting on a full review on that issue.

Really though, if you don't need the extra lumens the 8700UB will probably do ya just fine. If, on the other hand you want to go 130" or bigger on the screen, you might be happier with the 5010.

#4 ·
Nak said:
I have an 8700UB, and it's a great PJ! I haven't seen a full review yet, but from the first looks the advantages of the 5010 seem to be:

1. 3D. I don't care about this either.

2. 50% more lumens. That's very nice! It'll allow you to go with a bigger or a darker screen. Or a little of both! Or go with Eco mode on the lamp...

3. The 5010 should handle motion better. I'm waiting on a full review on that issue.

4. Motorized pixel alignment. Very nice. Should make for a very sharp picture. I'm waiting on a full review on that issue.

Really though, if you don't need the extra lumens the 8700UB will probably do ya just fine. If, on the other hand you want to go 130" or bigger on the screen, you might be happier with the 5010.
My screen size is dictated by my wall size unfortunately so I can only do a 110" screen. The projector will be mounted about 13' away so I should retain the lumens necessary for a bright picture. So I guess that pretty much answers my question. Don't need it for a bigger screen, don't need it for brightness, don't need it for 3D. I dont think #3 or #4 will be that noticeable to me as this is my first projector and the older ones than the 8700UB at my friends houses look awesome to me.

#5 · (Edited)
I have the 8700ub also 106 inch screen and I'm more than happy. Just got it.

I'm in the camp that the 8700 has 2 lamps I don't know about the new model plus I don't want 3D , yea it's nice to have...
But $1000 more gets you a nicer screen too :)

Did I say more than happy... Yep know I don't watch movies anymore I experience them. 

#6 ·
Well, my budget currently went up to $3,000 on the projector so now I am really thinking about the Epson 5010. The 8700UB would be great but my room isn't 100% dedicated. It is a theater / bar area. So if we are watching some sports or playing cards while watching UFC fights, of course I would want some ambient light. I think that with the increased lumens on the 5010, it would suit those needs much better. I know my friend has an older Epson and when the lights are on very dim it is really hard to see the picture clearly. I think his lumens is around 1200, I think. So with more than double that I should be good with the 5010 right? :ponder:

#8 ·
Nak said:
You got roughly 36 square feet. hitting it with even 2000 lumens will be about 55ftl! You'll need sunglasses! Just make sure and use a dark screen and you'll have great ambient capability.
Nothing wrong with catching a few rays while your watching a movie, right?!?! Lol

#13 ·
I answered in the thread you started but it's probably better placed here. The 3D emitter is for the active shutter glasses. You may, or may not need it depending upon your setup. The glasses need to be able to get a signal from the pj in order to work properly for 3D.

#15 ·
Pretty new to HD projectors. Hoping someone can help me out with a few questions:

1. Thinking about the 6010 vs 5010. Is the THX calibration worth it?

2. 5010 vs 5010e. Does the Wireless HD projection look just as good as the HDMI cable connection?

3. The house we bought has a home theater with ceiling mounted standard def Sharp projector. Will the ceiling mount work on these Epsons or are the ceiling mounts model/brand specific?

Thanks!

#16 ·
Pretty new to HD projectors. Hoping someone can help me out with a few questions:

1. Thinking about the 6010 vs 5010. Is the THX calibration worth it?
Depends upon the price difference. In most cases, I would say yes.

2. 5010 vs 5010e. Does the Wireless HD projection look just as good as the HDMI cable connection?
I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

3. The house we bought has a home theater with ceiling mounted standard def Sharp projector. Will the ceiling mount work on these Epsons or are the ceiling mounts model/brand specific?

Thanks!
If it's a generic mount it may work. I know that my original generic mount wouldn't work for my BenQ W5000 because it was quite a bit larger than my old Mitsubishi HC3000.

Welcome aboard! :wave:

#17 ·
Called my local highend retailer who said the 6010 is retailing at $3499. Which puts it just $500 over the 5010e. And $700 over 5010.

Seems like a no brainer to me for the THX, extra bulb, 1 yr extended warranty and glasses. Although since you have to buy it from a dealer vs over the internet that means you also have to pay sales tax.

Is HDMI 1.4 necessary for this projector? My receiver has 1.2 I think.

#18 · (Edited)
Only if you want 3D. I don't believe the 1.2 spec is going to lose anything else. You can run the HDMI straight from the player to the PJ.

As far as sound, you'll need to get a HDMI 1.4 splitter box to get the sound to your reciever. Not a splitter cable, but a powered box that splits the signal. Make sure the box is HDMI 1.4, not just "Supports 3d" or some such nonsense. it needs to support "1080P 3D" which is HDMI 1.4. The other option is get a Blu-ray Player with Dual HDMI outputs. They should be coming along soon from what I've read.

You could also just run one of the digital sound outputs to your reciever. If it's HDMI 1.2, it probably does not support the HD lossless codecs anyway, which require HDMI 1.3. If you want to step up to lossless audio, you'll need a new reciever. Will you hear the difference? If you have high end speakers and you really can hear minute differences, then yes you will. If not, the main difference is an increased Dynamic range, which I'm not sure is such a good thing anyway. To hear the really quiet sections, you'll be deafened by the loud sections. Most sound mixes I've heard take too much advantage of the increased dynamic range.

#20 ·
Just received the mount and 3D glasses for the Epson 5010 and WOW are those glasses HUGE!!! Wayy bigger than the LG Plasma ones. I am not sure why they don't just make a visor so you wouldn't have the separation for how big those suckers are.

#23 ·
That would be disappointing if my kids cannot wear the glasses. Adults shouldn't be the only ones able to enjoy 3D home theater. Its fun watching the kids try to grab stuff in front of them. Wonder if there are any 3rd party glasses that will work with the Epson projectors?

I am waiting for the 6010 and Epson told my local dealer it will be end of this week when they start shipping out. Should be the same for the 5010. But who knows if there will be further delays.

#24 ·
I know that other manufacturers for televisions make kid sized 3D glasses but I haven't seen any from Epson. I think I had read somewhere that there is another manufacturer that has a compatible pair of glasses but I can't think of where I seen it.

#25 ·
Just received the email confirmation that the Epson 5010 just shipped from Projector People today!!! Can't wait.

#27 ·
I just received my Epson 5010 and found that my receiver does not support 3D transmission. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced receiver that will allow for 3D viewing. I am not married to any particular price point, but would prefer to stay inside of $700 for the receiver if possible. We live in a condo so sound level has to stay in the moderate range. I am not an audio guy so any recommendations for speakers, etc would also be appreciated.

#28 ·
If you just want to pass a 3d signal, and aren't necessarily looking for an excuse to upgrade, you could try one of these:

(less than 5 posts so can't post link)...but search for 4 X 2 matrix or hdmi splitter/extender

or any other HDMI splitter....run one output to the projector/tv and the other to the reciever for sound. I am currently running one of these on my setup with 4 inputs feeding a reciever linked to projector in the media room and another tv in the gym. I can play sound from any of the input devices thru my reciever or thru gym tv. I've tested it to be fully 3d compliant.

#29 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, Earl. I guess I am looking for an excuse to upgrade (although I wasn't thinking about it that way until you mentioned it). I have a 55" Samsung in a den/play room (50% used by my kids playing video games - 50% for general TV use) with the TV as the sole source for for sound. When the 5010 issue came up, I decided to to move the receiver and speakers to that room, set up the existing receiver with the Samsung, and get a new receiver to use with the Epson.

#34 ·
If you're converting 2D to 3D the cable and receiver don't matter. The PJ converts the picture internally. You'll have to turn on 3D conversion in the menu somewhere I believe.

To watch actual 3D, you'll need a 3D capable Bluray player and a 3D movie. To watch sports in 3D you'll need a service that provides 3D Programing and a 3D capable tuner box.

#35 ·
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I read elsewhere that you needed a receiver with HD 1.4 capability in order to transmit 3D. It didn't make sense to me since I see the receiver as audio and 3D as video, but I am such a techno-illiterate, I just chalked it up to one more thing about electronics that I don't understand.

I was playing with the menu options when I set up the 5010 and saw that 3D was not selected. It didn't matter to me a the time b/c I thought I needed the receiver to access 3D. I'll try it tonight but I will still need to use the Tivo as the receiver, no? Otherwise, how do I access TV station channels? Will that affect the Epson's ability to convert 2D to 3D?

#37 ·
Nak -- Thanks so much. That explains everything perfectly. I was talking about using the Epson primarily for 2D to 3D conversion. That may well save me the cost of the new receiver. I do have two pair of Epson compatible 3D glasses that I bought with the unit. I'll try it tonight.

Thanks again.

#38 ·
No worries!

One more thing to confuse you... The "Lossles" audio codecs--Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA--are only carried over HDMI. However, unless you have a really high quality reciever and speakers, you probably won't notice the diffeence between "Lossless" and regular Dolby and DTS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.