8K views 40 replies 4 participants last post by  Todd Anderson 
#1 ·
Hi to everyone,

I searched all the forum and I could not find specific buying advice for

JVC projector:

I came across a store which sells new JVC X30 and new JVC X9 for the

same price (I'm not too interested in 3D and I watch only documentaries

and movies).

The main differences between the X30 and X70/X90 are contrast and 4K.

Since the X9 has better contrast than the X30, and both don't have 4K, I

would assume that the X9 is better suited to my needs than the X30.

Please advice and comment! Help me chose what's better for my needs.

Thanks in Advance!

See less See more
#36 ·
Thanks for your support! I really appreciate it. Yes, that's what the JVC rep said. Not every 100hrs specifically but as the lamp ages you need to recalibrate. But, he also said that before calibration other factors are much more important: room lighting, size/seating position, screen quality... if any one of these factors or others is out of "sync" then even the best calibration of the best projector is wasted. Just as TypeA said "oooouch..." when I described my living room.

So, before worrying about calibration I'm worrying about screen and room darkness. Now I'm off to buy a light meter to establish exactly what screen I need...

TypeA, 27dnsat... be ready with your screen model/type/etc advice!

#37 ·
It may not be three years but two still seems like a really good warranty for a refurb. As for the calibration as the bulb ages, I think thats the case for all displays except maybe LCD/LED flat panels as I dont think they decrease in brightness over time. What Ive always looked for, and something that JVC is known for, is having good measurements out of the box. I think some Mitsubishi models are known to have excellent performance out of the box also. From what Ive read Sony LCOS machines need lots of adjustment. Being that Im such a cheapskate Ive never spent money on a pro calibration and I probably never will, lots of folks highly recommend you get one though.

As for the screen advice I doubt I will be of much assistance. In sticking with the cheapskate theme Ive always found recommend mainstream projection screens to be ridiculously overpriced. I understand the premium for acoustically transparent screens, and screens that reject most all ambient lighting are cool, but to pay $1000 for a 106" matte white screen seems nuts to me and frankly Ive never seen the value. I spent $250 on each of my two Panoview GrayWolf screens and have been perfectly happy with them but sadly thats about the extent of my screen knowledge. I recommend you post your questions on screens in the screen subforum, perhaps those with much more knowledge can give you a better idea of what screens you should be looking at.

#38 ·
^^^. I went with a Carada screen. It looks great to my eyes and the frame is rock solid. I had an initial issue with the first screen they sent... And much like everything I had read about Carada, their customer service was grade A+. Must say, they were also really helpful during my decision/purchase process.

Beyond all of that, my knowledge of screens (and experience with them) is so basic that I can't really help you. :-/

#39 ·
Guys...

Thanks, I really appreciate your support. Again, should you plan or happen to be in Tokyo, you'll be my most welcome guests to stay here. I've got guest rooms (thou no HT in there!) and I'll be more than happy to show you around town!

Again, thank you.

#40 ·
Decided

Just to thank everyone who helped me decide:

In the end I bought a JVC DLA-RS4810 (pre-order) which I was offered new at a comparable price to an unused new X9 plus a few hundred bucks. I have been asked not to post price but anyone interested pls PM me.

Next, Oppo 103. Further down a new screen.

Again, thanks for all your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.