Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

The Right Size Screen

Tags
screen size
2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ChopShop1 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I finished prepping my media room this past summer and now I'm beginning to plan my theater equipment, but I need some advice.

I'm concerned about projector throw distance and screen size. My projector can be placed at a range of 16-18' from the screen. I'm thinking a 120" screen would work well for the space, but when I use the projection calculator, I'm told to go as big as 140", which I could not do b/c of room size.

If I bought a projector with a recommended screen size of 140", but only had 120", are there options to overcome this without making the picture look funny or distorted?

The projectors I'm considering are:
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3010
Optoma HD33

Thanks for the advice and let me know if you need more information. I'm new to all of this, so I likely left something important out.

#2 ·
Your picture shouldn't look blurry or distorted. You can adjust focus to make the picture clear. If anything I would think going to a smaller picture will make it brighter. Is your room light controlled? I have the Epson 1080p in a light controlled room with a 134" screen... I have run it in the past with a 120" screen with no problem.

BTW... I would be careful buying the projector in your link as he says it is for parts, unless you know how to repair it.

#3 ·
Thanks for responding. My room is light controlled and it's good to hear I'll prob be ok with a 120" screen.

Not sure where those links came from, I just copied and pasted the names of each projector from Projectorcentral.com. I would never buy a used projector, but I appreciate the heads up.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm concerned about projector throw distance and screen size. My projector can be placed at a range of 16-18' from the screen. I'm thinking a 120" screen would work well for the space, but when I use the projection calculator, I'm told to go as big as 140", which I could not do b/c of room size.
According to ProjectorCentral.com's Projection Calculator Pro:
- the Epson 3010 will project a 120", 16:9 image from 11'6" to 18'9"; and
- the Optoma HD33 will project a 120", 16:9 image 13'1" to 15'8".

So, with the Epson 3010 you should be OK to get 120" from within your throw range; but with the Optima HD33, you'll need either to move it closer or to consider a larger screen. (The Optoma at 16' projects a 122" image.)

#5 ·
Ok, I mapped out a 120" screen on my wall. It looks great and from the viewing distances the whole screen is visible. All that said, I don't want to sell myself short on size, but I don't want to overwhelm myself or guests. If I can go bigger, should I (say 150")? What do you guys think would be a max size for my room? How close to the ceiling should the screen be?

Here are my room dimensions.

Width= 13.5'
Wall height= 8.25'
Viewing distance= 13.5' to 18'
Projector would ideally be placed around 16'-18'

Thanks and are there other factors I'm not considering?

#6 ·
Go as large as you can but factor in everything - screen size, fL (you want at least 12 but I would try to keep it above 16), seating requirements, screen placement (with your wall height and a 150" screen, you have a little over 2 feet to play with), etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.