Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Looking for a Cheap Projector

8K views 47 replies 6 participants last post by  pasty64 
#1 ·
Renovated my rec room with a home theater in mind and was planning on buying a HD projector but my budget is pretty much gone not leaving me much for the protector. So I was thinking of buying a cheaper non HD projector to use until funds allow me to by a better projector and than re purpose the cheap one for work use after. Any recommendations a cheap projector, the model I am considering is ViewSonic PJD5223 but I am very open to suggestions.

#2 ·
Multi media projectors will be far cheaper than Home theater but be aware that thay dont scale HD video all that well so you wont have the full 1920x1080 resolution They also tend to have really poor black levels so movies with alot of dark in them will be very washed out and hard to see.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm willing to except some imperfections for a short period, I was planning to buy the entry level Epson HD projector but I had some things come up taking a lot of funds I had set aside. The room is nearly completed and I'd like to make use of it so I rather not wait, plus I also have a need for a mulit media projector, it's not a complete waste of money afterwards. Most of the media I watch is download material that isn't HD or BuRay, so how much would I really notice?

I've searched quite a bit and really can't find a decent answer, I realize most all projectors will play movies but I'd like to find one that does a good job at it. I will be mostly using it after dark and only to watch movies and the odd TV show.

#4 ·
the closer you can get to finding a multi media projector thats native resolution is 1900x1200 the better.

#6 ·
yes, it will down scale the image to 1024x768 and wont be true HD however that is why Home theater projectors cost more so Im sure it will work out for you for the time being. It is a DLP projector so they tend to have good black levels.

#7 · (Edited)
You might consider picking up a used 1080 capable HD projector on eBay. I purchased one (a Panasonic AE2000) that way. Other than a few cosmetic flaws, it still operated great and you'd have a full HD picture that way. Just be wary of bad sellers and try to get a unit with as few hours as possible. Then when your pocket book is in better shape, you can hit the regular market if you're unhappy with what you have.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-PT-AE2000U-LCD-Projector-WITH-NEW-LAMP-AND-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-/121118653953?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item1c333bfe01

Personally, I'd stay away from media projectors since they have several issues beyond aspect ratio, resolution and scaling, relative to image quality you'd expect from a home theater setup.

#8 ·
I would be lying if I say I had a good understanding of the all the specs when it comes to projectors, which is pretty said scene I do sell them as part of my job, but more of a office level not home theater where it really counts. Most people are budget mind it and don't really care too much. I had read up on it a few years ago but Ive forgotten and don't sell enough to keep up on it.

I just installed an NEC P350X for a customer who are using for power points, slide shows and the occasional movie night. It's Max Resolution is 1024 x 768 and Max Resolution compressed, althought I'm not sure what that means 1600 x 1200. It looked ok with the old 4:3 DVDs they were playing but we had it setup on the wireless network and the play back was pretty choppy.

Not really interested in used, I've had plenty of bad experience with used electronics and I try to stay away now. I also have access to dealer pricing so it makes the new models cheaper, although I am limited to brands like NEC, Acer, Epson, and ViewSonic.

#9 ·
It's Max Resolution is 1024 x 768 and Max Resolution compressed, althought I'm not sure what that means 1600 x 1200.
I think it just means that it will accept a 1600x1200 signal and compress it to fit 1024x768

#10 ·
How much is your budget? You could always get a refurbished Epson projector directly from Epson. The Epson I have (Epson 1080) I bought new when they first came out and it has worked fine for me... I just replace the bulb when it comes time and clean the filters.

#13 ·
Sanyo many a great projector, my first two projectors were Sanyo's. Its already a 5 year old model and does not have HDMI so you would need to get a DVI to HDMI adapter so it should work fine. How many hrs does it have on the bulb?

#15 ·
that seems a bit fishy but its hard to know. Have you seen the unit in person?

#17 ·
New is better because you get a warranty also DLP may be better for your situation. Can you test the sanyo at home? It does support a higher native resolution.

#18 ·
I'll have to ask, not sure how he would feel about be taking to try it. He's a friend but maybe not that good of a friend.

So what are the import specs I should be looking in projector, I gathering as close to 1900x1200 as I can get, anything else?

#19 ·
Is the room completely light controlled or do you have alot of ambient light from windows? A DLP projector will get better blacks over an LCD like the Sanyo. Something with lens shift is ideal particularly if your going to mount this to the ceiling (you want to avoid using any electronic image shifting bending).

#21 ·
Yes, that Epson would be a very nice starter projector. its only 720p but that is plenty if your sitting at about 10ft from the screen.

#22 ·
I have plumper showing up this week so I guess it all depends on that cost. I'm already over budget by about a grand and my wife is non too happy about it. I can justify the cost of a cheaper projector because I can use it at work afterwards and get myself up and running now. Or I just wait until funds are higher around Christmas and call it a present to myself.

How much would you pay for the used Sanyo model, they are asking 325 (Canadian) and I can buy the ViewSonic for 50 bucks more, or the Epson for 580. Non were the models I really want, I was settling for the Epson, I wanted a much higher model but cost of the reno got a little high.

#23 ·
My first projectors were a Sanyo PLV z2 and I later upgraded to a PLV z4. both were 720p projectors and Im positive you can find a z4 or z5 for around $400.

#25 ·
yup, I would tell him $200 take it or leave it.

#26 ·
#27 ·
I would actually just paint a wall for now and put the money towards the projector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.