What's the most appropriate Projector & Screen size configuration .. ? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 11-18-13, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
What's the most appropriate Projector & Screen size configuration .. ?

Hey all .. So yeah, I have created two previous threads, but its so confusing, I'm creating a third one, since I've also found some issues with projector screen size limitations .. Hopefully this will be my last thread on this topic

Room Specs:

So I have two possible projector throw distances: ~21 ft and ~16 ft .. Given the specification of my room, the 16ft option is easier to implement, but a 21ft option can also be done if needed ... Screen ratio is finalized: 16:9 .. So a throw from 16 ft will result in about a 120" diagonal screen maybe, and a throw from 21ft will result in a 145" screen maybe ..

Given some external factors, I will only go for either a 120" screen, or a 145" screen .. nothing in between ..

Viewing distance is anywhere between 16ft and 21ft, but I'm a little unsure if a 120" screen will look small or not from 21ft away .. On the other hand, a 145" screen might look *too* big from just 16ft away ..

Room is almost completely light controlled ..

Rough floor plan of my HT room:

The dilemma:

The dilemma is between which projector(s) to get, given the options below ..

Originally, I started my search with Epson 5030, but since I wanted great picture quality in both 2D and 3D, a lot of people suggested (and rightly so, I think) that I should go for a 2 projector setup: One for 2D, one for 3D: a JVC RS-46 for 2D, and a second one for 3D (undecided yet) ..

Read reviews on the RS-46, and I decided to go for this 2 projector setup, as the JVC was considered the benchmark for 2D, and idea I loved ..

For the 3D projector, I originally wanted a budget Benq or Optoma, but people said largely that it has washed out colors and contrast .. I was instead suggested Sharp XV-30000, or Optoma HD8300, for the 3D projector ..

The problem is that according to this link, the RS-45/46 doesn't really support a screen bigger than 130", meaning I am limited to a 120" screen if I go for this projector .. Also, I would need a 1.1 or 1.2 Gain screen for this JVC RS-46, even when it's projecting at a 120" screen ..

This creates a problem if I were to get a budget second projector for its 3D, since they all have higher brightness, and they won't work well with a 1.1 or 1.2 gain screen (according to calculators on projectcentral.com) ..

However, the Optoma HD8300 and Sharp XV-30000 are both OK with a 1.1 gain screen (especially the Sharp XV-30000) ..

Lastly, another option is to compromise on possibly both 2D and 3D a little, and get something like Epson 5030 or Sony HW50, both of which have a 'decent' result in both 2D and 3D .. They can both be used with a 120" or 145" screen ...

I CAN afford (barely!) to buy two ~$3000 projectors, but this would indeed burn a **huge** hole in my wallet, something which I didn't plan for when I started my search about a week ago ...

So which option below is most recommended ?:

1) JVC RS-46 + Sharp XV-3000, both sharing a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$6000
2) JVC RS-46 + Optoma HD8300, both sharing a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$6200
3) JVC RS-46 + Optoma HD131Xe, both sharing a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$3700
4) Epson 5030, using a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$2600
5) Sony HW50ES, using a 1.1 gain screen. Total projector cost: ~$4000

Took me an hour to type this up
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 11-18-13, 04:37 PM
Elite Shackster
My System
Re: What's the most appropriate Projector & Screen size configuration .. ?

First of all Im not sure why you want to have two different projectors? Why not get one really good projector and thats it? A 3D projector will do 2D just as good.
As far as distance a 145" screen sitting at about 12Ft will be a bit large in my opinion. It will be great for the second row but the front row is always the better position for sound.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 4 Old 11-19-13, 06:18 AM
Elite Shackster
Steve Mechelke -mech
My System
post #4 of 4 Old 11-19-13, 07:49 AM
Senior Shackster
Re: What's the most appropriate Projector & Screen size configuration .. ?

Agree with Tony. In my opinion your front row will be too close for a 145 inch screen. I have a 120 inch 16:9 screen with a 16 ft throw distance. I would not want a larger screen for this space.

Checkout the calculator on the "Projector Central" site to determine optimal screen sizes.

Mains Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Amps - Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5
Processor -Onkyo PR-SC5508
Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave. Aspect ratio 2.35 gain 1.2 fixed screen
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D

configuration , projector , screen , size

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page