Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

16:9 Screen Vs. 2.37:1 CIH Screen

Tags
169 cih screen
91K views 96 replies 19 participants last post by  tbase1 
#1 ·
These drawings show how the two different systems work, when it comes to screen size, image size, and aspect ratio..

The first one is for 2.35:1 DVD's..

See less See more
#50 ·
OK and for projectors who do not have a scaler for HD, is there a cheep video processor to do do?

#54 ·
That is a good price, but it does not accept 1080p I think:dontknow:

Is there any quality improvement from a video processor? Rather than just doing VS thing?

#60 ·
not entirely related to this thread, as I don't have an anamorphic lens, but I recently replaced my screen with a DIY 2.4:1 screen

for normal 16x9 source material (such as an xbox game) I have black bars on the left and right.
a nice bonus I hadn't thought about was that the mind/eyes don't notice the black bars on the left and right nearly as much as they do top and bottom.
I think this is because when the projector is zoomed to project a 16:9 image, there is no light spill onto the 2.4:1 screen on either side.

for wide screen movies in the 2.4:1 range, I zoom the projector lens and the movie fills the screen perfectly.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Everyone who's seen it thinks it's fantastic!

#61 ·
Well you've made a good start Jack, with a 2.4:1 screen..:T

More and more people are going this route now for their standard 16:9 projection..
It does make life a bit easier with just side masking for 16:9, or not bothering with it at all..
I've never found the need to mask my 2.4:1 screen..

However, you are missing out on full image quality, when you zoom to fill the screen..The pixels are being stretched horizontally and vertically, which degrades the image to some degree..

To give you an idea of how much better it would look, when you use an anamorphic lens..
Next time you have a 2.35:1 movie up on the screen, take a close look at how sharp and detailed it is, prior to zooming..
This is almost the same detail you will see, when a lens is used to expand the image..

If you go the DIY way or buy a lens kit assembly, it's not all that expensive to have a very reasonable anamorphic lens..

#62 ·
Hey Prof, there's no doubt the anamorphic lens is the way to go
currently, I have a 720 projector, and I sit just beyond the point where I would see screen door when the image is 10 feet wide (thats how wide my screen is)

I've sat on the lens sidelines watching people with more disposable income than myself enjoy some really spectacular setups.

What are the DIY lenses costing these days?

#63 ·
Hey Prof, there's no doubt the anamorphic lens is the way to go
currently, I have a 720 projector, and I sit just beyond the point where I would see screen door when the image is 10 feet wide (thats how wide my screen is)
That's very nice wide screen and it would look absolutely brilliant with Anamorphic projection..

What are the DIY lenses costing these days?
OK..There are two ways of going DIY..

1. Buying prisms from someone like this http://www.crystalfactory.com/CWD46-CWD57-CWD68.asp
The 5"x7" is the size you need, and if you have just rudimentary carpentry skills, it's very easy to make a case for them..
Mark and myself can give you all the info. you need to do this..

2. You can buy a lens kit from HT Brothers or CAVX..I have the CAVX lens..http://cavx.blogspot.com/2007/04/4-prism-lens.html
Just scroll down for pricing..

As you can see, a considerable saving on buying commercial lenses..

#64 ·
This is a really useful thread, thanks :)

I don't even have a projector but when I do I would like to do it 'properly' and go for a CIH setup. This thread has helped me understand what actually happens and the benefits.

Can someone tell me the downsides to this approach?

Assuming I have a 2.35:1 screen, do I need to remove the lens when using some sources or can you just put up with black bars at the sides? I expect most of my movies will be HD and at least 2.35:1 but some DVDs will be 16:9, the only 4:3 I have will be something like Star Trek on HD-DVD.

What I would prefer is a setup I don't have to keep fiddling with each time I want to play a disc; I use an HTPC as a source so have to jump through enough hoops already :foottap:

Thanks,

Adam

#65 ·
Assuming I have a 2.35:1 screen, do I need to remove the lens when using some sources or can you just put up with black bars at the sides? I expect most of my movies will be HD and at least 2.35:1 but some DVDs will be 16:9, the only 4:3 I have will be something like Star Trek on HD-DVD.
Adam,

I leave my lens place for 1.78 :1,1.85:1 and 2.35:1 aspect ratios..
I don't bother about any black bars at the sides.. and with my current screen the blacks are so good that it almost looks like it's masked anyway..
Some people do however prefer to mask the sides when showing 1.78:1 movies..

The other thing that helps to minimize adjusting procedures is that some 1.78:1 movis can be shown in 2.35:1 AR..I do this with a number of my movies..

#67 ·
Hi takumi and welcome..

The best projector for Anamorphic projection will depend on several things..
Firstly, we need to know whether you prefer DLP or LCD..
What your projection distance and throw ratio will be..and whether you need a projector with vertical stretch, or whether you have a scaler or DVD player that will do the vertical stretch..
I presume your looking at getting a 1080p projector for that budget..

#71 ·
OK..so it looks like you're starting from scratch..
This makes it a simple choice if you follow what a lot of people have done, who have an anamorphic system..

DLP projectors have a number of makes that provide vertical stretch..and is generally the preferred type of projection system..

Vertical stretch is where the projected image is electronically stretched vertically by the projector, which makes people look tall and skinny..and then the lens expands the image horizontally to restore the correct geometry..
Without going into all the other aspects of this..I suggest that you have a good read of my "16:9 vs 2.37:1 CIH Screen" in this forum..as well as the postings by Mark Techer..
You will find all you need to know about Anamorphic projection..

As far as the makes of projector to look at..These would be my choices..

Benq
Optoma
Sony
Panasonic

All have the vertical stretch facillity..but some of the earlier models may not..

I see your theatre room is 23' long..so I would get a projector that has a fairly long throw lens, to help reduce pincushion effect..

#73 ·
A long throw can be determined by two methods -
1. The Throw Ratio where the native 16:9 image width is divided into the distance from the screen to the projector.
2. How many image heights the projector can be back from the screen.

If we take my BenQ W5000, at the min zoom (smallest image) the TR (from 1) is about 2.2) or 3.1 times the image height. Therefore I would really consider the BenQ W5000 to me a mid range throw device, not a long throw device which would be closer to 3.7x the image height...

Mark

#74 ·
If we take my BenQ W5000, at the min zoom (smallest image) the TR (from 1) is about 2.2) or 3.1 times the image height. Therefore I would really consider the BenQ W5000 to me a mid range throw device, not a long throw device which would be closer to 3.7x the image height...

Mark
Mark...At a 2.2 TR..do you notice much difference in pinchusion effect over your previous Sony projector..which had a much lower TR I believe.?

I always thought that the earlier BenQ projectors had a fairly short throw lens, but I'm at 3.5 times the image height, with a 1.8 TR.!!

#85 ·
BTW..I have a BenQ W5000 and am looking a getting or making a lens. I've heard good things about these projectors and was suaded over the Sony's, which I could get cheaper, for this one. I have a Screen Innovations Reference 92" 16:9 screen new in the box but am going to sell it and make a 110" 2:35:1 screen. I think in white? 1.0 gain? I'm not sure what my throw will be but I will probably hang the screen then move the projector back until I get the height correct on the v stretch mode and put it there on the ceiling. Will I need the anamorphic lens in place first before I do that? Might be hard to do? I might have to have two people hep me to do that?

#88 · (Edited)
Thanks Prof used British Paints Ultra Flat white designed for projector screens. I used my existing wall as it was in great condition. 2 coats with a mohair roller with a 75mm flat black border the screen is 2:39 130" cheap total cost 2L ultra flat $30AU bunnings flat black 500ml $8.70AU TOTAL $38.70AU BARGAIN! The room is painted in MOJO flat. Its like a dark blue purple mix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.