Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

16:9 Screen Vs. 2.37:1 CIH Screen

Tags
169 cih screen
91K views 96 replies 19 participants last post by  tbase1 
#1 ·
These drawings show how the two different systems work, when it comes to screen size, image size, and aspect ratio..

The first one is for 2.35:1 DVD's..

See less See more
#91 ·
I see a lot of anamorphic lens for sale on eBay for cameras and movie projectors... Would these work? I ask this because I see them from $100-$1000, which is way cheaper than a store bought anamorphic lens for a projector. What would I look for in a lens if I want to buy one and then DIY the mounting sled?My room is 23' long and I am looking at a 14' wide 2.40 CH screen.

#92 ·
Ron,

One of the problems with using camera or cinema projector lenses is the diam. of the lens..
As you know, anamorphic lenses generally use large diam lenses..e.g ISCO and the Prismatic lenses..because you need to keep reduction in light transmission to a minimum..
In your case using a very wide CIH screen, you're going to need all the light you can get!
I would look for a second hand ISCO or similar lens..
With the advent of memory lens projectors, there should be some second hand anamorphic lenses around..

#93 ·
There is a variation in post number 1 that you are not showing I believe...
If you set your height for no border top or bottom on a 16x9 image, and then zoom in with a 2.37 image (of course you need to have a screen that is wide enough for the 2.37)... You will not have any bars when you view a 2.37 movie, and you can mask the sides when you have a 16x9 movie (and unzoom), correct? I am asking this because I just picked up a Panasonic AE8000 with power zoom, focus, and memory.

#94 ·
Yes that is correct..The diagrams on page one just show the effect of adding an anamorphic lens with no zoom and stretching the image electronically to fill the screen top and bottom..The lens then expands the image to fill the width of the screen..

If your projector has memory lens, then no zooming is required..apart from some initial zoom when you first setup the 16:9 image on the 2.37 screen.. You then just set the correct aspect ratio in the menu and you usually have a button on the remote to switch between the two AR's..At least that's how mine is setup..

#95 ·
Below is me unboxing and testing the Epson 6040ub/ 9300. Very happy with it so far! Most would be more than happy with it. If you watch any sport or play games then you should be leaning towards a 16:9 but then rooms can play a big part too but although I game a lot I love CIH and will go a 135" 2.37:1 AT screen in the new house

Gaming is insane on it - Battlefield 1 on PC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.