Home Theater Shack 2015 High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event Preparations Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #1 of 179 Old 03-07-15, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Home Theater Shack 2015 High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event Preparations Thread

Home Theater Shack 2015 High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event Final Preparations Discussion Thread

SURPRISE!

Those of you who tuned into the Home Theater Shack speaker evaluation events of 2013 and 2014 will recall that the listening panel put in many hours of critically listening and honestly reporting our findings. We are getting ready to do it again, this time with high-and amplifiers.

This coming Thursday through Saturday the 12th - 14th of March, we are gathering at Sonnie Parker's Cedar Creek Cinema in rural Alabama. We have collected an impressive list of top-rated amplifiers to evaluate from designers you will recognize.
  • Emotiva XPA-2
  • Exposure 2010S
  • Krell Duo 175
  • Mark Levinson 532H
  • Parasound HALO A31
  • Pass Labs X250.5
  • Sunfire TGA-7401
  • Van Alstine Fet Valve 400R
  • Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 MK II
  • Denon X5200 AVR
The loudspeakers we will be using are the sonic microscopes through which we will be inspecting the characteristics of those amplifiers. There are some exciting speakers we will be experiencing for the first time. Of course you will receive commentary from the panel on each of them. Plus there will be a complete review of each of the new-to-HTS (**) speaker models involved.
  • Acoustic Zen Crescendo Mk II, courtesy Robert Lee, Acoustic Zen Technologies **
  • Spatial Hologram M1 Turbo v2, courtesy Clayton Shaw, Spatial Audio **
  • Chane A5rx-c, courtesy Jon Lane, Chane Music Cinema **
  • Martin Logan ESL
An additional activity we have decided to squeezed into an already busy weekend will be the panel's comparison of Dirac Live vs. Audyssey XT32, as has been requested by a number of our members.

Other key equipment special for the event:
  • Speaker cables and interconnects by Morrow Audio, courtesy Mike Morrow
  • Van Alstine ABX Switch Box, recently updated version (February 2015)
  • miniDSP nanoAVR DL, courtesy Tony Rouget, miniDSP
  • OPPO BDP-105
Sounds like enough to keep us busy, no? As in the past, we will be posting comments and photos from the event as they occur, and will send goodies to Todd Anderson for Facebook updates. We just might even be able to squeeze out a brief YouTube or Instagram video or two of certain parts of the festivities.
  • Date: Thursday evening, March 12th through Saturday evening, March 14th.
  • Place: Cedar Creek Cinema, Alabama, hosted by Sonnie, Angie, and Gracie Parker.
  • Evaluation Panel: Joe Alexander (ALMFamily), Leonard Caillouet (lcaillo), Dennis Young (Tesseract), Sonnie Parker (Sonnie), Wayne Myers (AudiocRaver).
Stay tuned, lots of details to follow over the next week!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 179 Old 03-07-15, 07:35 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: Home Theater Shack 2015 High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event Preparations Thread

This should be a lot of fun!

All except the Wyred 4 Sound amp are in the house... in the listening room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #3 of 179 Old 03-07-15, 08:19 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: Home Theater Shack 2015 High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event Preparations Thread

Wish you could of fit a Classe' amp in there too.

Glad to see you have a stout Krell in there.... my personal favorite. Can't wait for this!

Master Electrician

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #4 of 179 Old 03-07-15, 08:42 AM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

No EMOTIVA = a real disappointment

AVR - PIONEER SC 35 w PANGEA AC9 CORD
AC FILT - PANAMAX M5400
DISPLAY - PANASONIC TC-P54G10 54in 1080p PLASMA
MAINS + SURROUND - DIY w DAYTON PT2C-8 PLANAR MID/HIGHS + DAYTON 6.5 MIDBASS -
SUBS - (2) DAYTON 15" ULTIMAX
SUB AMP - ACURUS A250
HTPC - WIN7 ULT,INTEL I7 860,CORSAIR 800D,CORSAIR HX1000, 16 GIG CORSAIR,EVGA P55 MB, ATI 5970 VIDEO, ASUS HDAV DELUXE 1.3 w BURSON DISCREET OPAMPS,PIONEER BDRW, 3WARE 9650 w 4x CRUCIAL 64gb SSD's in RAID 0
post #5 of 179 Old 03-07-15, 08:56 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Looking forward to the amp evaluation & Audyssey Xt32 vs DIRAC

Mains Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Amps - Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5
Processor -Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave. Aspect ratio 2.35 gain 1.2 fixed screen
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #6 of 179 Old 03-07-15, 09:26 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

We have been working on this for about six months now, looking for amps, requesting accommodation, etc. During that time I contacted Emotiva in an attempt to get an amp on industry accommodations. I actually wanted two amps, one for the event and one for my personal use. I thought we had something worked out, but my last two emails did not get a response, so I gave up.

None the less... I am absolutely sure we are going to get a plethora of comments pertaining to various amps members would have liked to have seen and wished could have been included. Unfortunately, we can't arrange to get them all... and we only have so much time to work with anyway.

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #7 of 179 Old 03-07-15, 11:18 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
No EMOTIVA = a real disappointment
Emotiva is not necessarily a high end piece. Comparing the first amps on the list to the X5200 should be the same as comparing to the Emotiva

The title says "High-End" amplifiers.... even my Krell doesn't really constitute high end. It's 11yrs old and is not even in the same class as the Duo 175

Seems like aside from the Denon; the pricing starts around 2500k and moves up to around 7500 for the Krell.

(Please understand I did not say emotiva is not a good piece... but price wise high end and looking at the list they all seem to favor the 3k-5kish range?)

Master Electrician

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #8 of 179 Old 03-07-15, 11:22 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Dwight Angus wrote: View Post
Looking forward to the amp evaluation & Audyssey Xt32 vs DIRAC

Me too! I'm having some issues with my x4000 so I'm wanting to move to a krell preamp/dirac to handle all of the audio

Master Electrician

post #9 of 179 Old 03-07-15, 11:34 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

We probably need to re-think our title... as it really isn't just about comparing "high-end" amps. There are probably some who might not necessarily consider them all high-end. We mainly wanted to make sure we had some high-end brands in the mix. Most high-end audiophiles will highly respect several of these brands. The 532H was on Stereophile's Recommended A list in 2012 with a MSRP of $8,000.

post #10 of 179 Old 03-07-15, 12:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
We probably need to re-think our title... as it really isn't just about comparing "high-end" amps. There are probably some who might not necessarily consider them all high-end. We mainly wanted to make sure we had some high-end brands in the mix. Most high-end audiophiles will highly respect several of these brands. The 532H was on Stereophile's Recommended A list in 2012 with a MSRP of $8,000.
Ya I'd agree. Maybe an under $7500 amp event like you did with the speakers.

Master Electrician

Closed Thread