Receiver fell out of a truck... - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-15, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
My System
Receiver fell out of a truck...

Hey all,
It's been a bit since I have posted in here, but I have a few questions to ask.
First to explain the title, I was moving all of my stuff into storage so I could attend training, and on the way there my receiver inside it's original box fell out of the truck. Because of this I am fairly certain that it is not going to work when I finally move into my next place. If it does then all of these questions will not apply anymore.

If I have to, I want to replace my old one with a somewhat future-proofed receiver. Things that, at the last time I checked, I will want are 7.1 or more, 4k and 3d pass through (don't have either, but 4k seems interesting and in a few years I might get a 4k tv if my current one breaks), and I think Dolby Atmos would be a smart upgrade. I have yet to hear it live, but the idea seems like something I would enjoy.
I don't need a high end top of the line receiver, but I don't want the bottom of the barrel as well. I am currently thinking of spending about $500 if the receiver is actually broken, if it isn't I will save up and get a better model. For now I don't plan on getting a separate amplifier for any extra atmos speaker, but if I can find a nice enough system for a good price I could see that happening.

I don't know how I will set things up in my new place, but the hardware I currently have is as follows:
Epson 9700UB
Pioneer receiver (fell out of truck)
Polk Audio TL1600 5.1 speaker system
Samsung 60" F5300
PS3(new fat)
I don't have a screen built, but I have the fabric from my last screen build that I will probably use to build a screen again. Ideally the place I rent will have the TV in the bedroom and the projector in the living room with the surround sound system, but that is only if I get a place with a good spot for a projector.

My questions are:
1) What receiver do you recommend without Atmos?
2) What receiver do you recommend if I want Atmos?
3) If I buy an Atmos receiver but only enough speakers for a 5.1 setup for now will that throw things off?
4) Speaker questions: I am fairly certain that I can buy extra matching speakers from Polk, the TL1's, would that be good enough for a 7.1 system? how about a 7.1.4 if I go that high? or should I just replace the speakers when I upgrade from the 5.1?

Thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 03-15-15, 08:19 AM
Plain ole user
Tech Guru
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Receiver fell out of a truck...

I would consider all of the features and configuration options you might need and start there to narrow down the selection. Typically the best value in terms of features is Onkyo, while Denon and Yamaha are generally considered to be among the best build quality. In terms of sound I believe there will be more similarities than differences, and power vs listening levels may be the biggest factor for a receiver. I can tell you that the Denon 5200 held up very well in comparison to some really expensive amps, though this model is higher than your price range.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-15-15, 09:05 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

I would seriously look at
They have many good receivers for less than 1/3 the price. Most are reverbs shed but that generally just means they repaired whatever defect was in it or it was simply an overstock item that another store could not sell. Many people have bought from them including me and have had no issues.

I do believe that a 5.1 speaker system will work with Atmos so it would be a 5.1.2 system or whatever you decide to do

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 6 Old 03-15-15, 10:11 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

Unless the box was crushed the AVR itself impacted the ground is most likely just fine.
A lot of AVRs are sold mail order, Fedex and UPS are not gentle shipping companies.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-17-15, 07:46 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

This: ^^^

As long as you had all the Styrofoam corners in place it’ll probably be fine. My receiver weighs like 200 lbs. (okay not really but it sure feels like it) and when I brought it home a few years ago and I managed to drop the box when I was trying to get it out of the car. It’s still working fine.

post #6 of 6 Old 03-18-15, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
My System

Thanks for the responses!

I have already checked out accessories4less and I will probably buy from them if I need to replace it.

Yes the styrofoam was in place so I hope it still works. It makes sense that it would work since it had the same protection as it would if shipped by UPS or whoever.

Thanks again, Ill let you all know if it works here in a few weeks or so when it's all hooked up again!

fell , receiver , truck

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page