Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

The difference between a toroidal and I-E transformer in amps

36K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  AegonTargareon 
#1 ·
So this discussion came up and I wanted to put some facts together about the differences between using the standard power supplies found in most amps/receivers and toroidal transformers.

A toroidal uses a Doughnut shaped core & is much slimmer than a conventional (E-I) transformer allowing for a smaller height footprint.

A toroidal transformer creates very low interference, since its magnetic field is contained within its self

It provides large peak currents, well beyond its rating, but it draws a huge current surge on switch on meaning it can dim lights when switched on or even worse trip breakers if circuit is overloaded.

Toroidals are more costly to make and take up more footprint space.

A conventional transformer of 25% to 40% higher capacity can be put in the equipment, for the same Budget. That Conventional transformer of higher capacity will put out even more juice than a toroidal transformer, of the same price

There are many companies of what I call cheap equipment that use them for example the Jamo AVR-693 uses one in it so just because they use one does not make it high end.

I do not believe that there is any real gain by using a Toroidal transformer over a standard I-E transformer.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
One advantage of toroidal over laminated is lower noise from hum/buzz. Air gaps between the plates of a laminated transformer can cause them to vibrate against each other. Transformer noise contributing to a room's noise-floor depends largely upon its design and materials. But transformer hum may be insignificant when compared to air duct noise.

#4 ·
Yes, this can be an issue however if designed right there is no reason that the hum cant be inaudible. On my Onkyo 805 it has a huge transformer (the receiver weighs 54lbs) and Ive never heard any noise from it.

Also some will argue that the magnetic field the EI transformers generate can be problematic but again shielding can be placed to prevent this at minimal cost and this interference is an audible 60Hz hum.

#3 ·

Toroidal Transformer

EI transformer

#7 ·
It provides large peak currents, well beyond its rating, but it draws a huge current surge on switch on meaning it can dim lights when switched on or even worse trip breakers if circuit is overloaded.
Personally, I never became accustomed to dimming lights (and bogged-down appliance motors haha j/k) when my monoblocks "flame-on." It's almost as if the air gets sucked out of the room for an instant! Seriously though, I would think that large peak currents are what you want for realistic audio transients.

A conventional transformer of 25% to 40% higher capacity can be put in the equipment, for the same Budget. That Conventional transformer of higher capacity will put out even more juice than a toroidal transformer, of the same price.
I'm not sure what kind of capacity you mean.

Yes, this can be an issue however if designed right there is no reason that the hum cant be inaudible. On my Onkyo 805 it has a huge transformer (the receiver weighs 54lbs) and Ive never heard any noise from it.

Also some will argue that the magnetic field the EI transformers generate can be problematic but again shielding can be placed to prevent this at minimal cost and this interference is an audible 60Hz hum.
Agreed, and an IE xfrmr can be oriented in its chassis such that the lobes of its magnetic field are pointed away from sensitive circuitry. But in crowded AVR chassis of good design, I wouldn't be surprised to find a toroidal xfrmr instead, because of its controlled emissions.

Some companies offer external power supplies (the so-called two-chassis component) to remove radiated emissions from the equation, but that introduces a whole new set of problems (e.g. umbilical & enclosure design, short circuit protection, etc.). Then again, some jump on the external supply bandwagon under the guise of an increase in perceived quality.

#8 ·
Agreed, and an IE xfrmr can be oriented in its chassis such that the lobes of its magnetic field are pointed away from sensitive circuitry. But in crowded AVR chassis of good design, I wouldn't be surprised to find a toroidal xfrmr instead, because of its controlled emissions.

Some companies offer external power supplies (the so-called two-chassis component) to remove radiated emissions from the equation, but that introduces a whole new set of problems (e.g. umbilical & enclosure design, short circuit protection, etc.). Then again, some jump on the external supply bandwagon under the guise of an increase in perceived quality.

Yup... this can be found in the "Whats the catch" part: http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb071998.htm

talking about the magnetic field. Seems that the Toroidal offers the easiest construction to avoid this issue and can be placed right next to the amplifer sections

He also goes on stating that an EI can end up offering better audio properties if built right (and be alot larger)

#9 · (Edited)
This is what the inside of the Onkyo 805 looks like. It is a beast

Well placed the power supply should not be an issue.

This is the inside of the Samson servo amp

#16 ·
Guys you joke... but seriously Torus uses the Piltron toroidals in their units and right now they one of if not the best units available to the market right now.

Torus AVR2: http://www.toruspower.com/reviews/north-american-retail-avr2/

These things are mammoth, weigh a ton and all they do is balanced isolation with voltage regulation. Nice units but costly and they use GIANT toroidals... wish I could find an interior shot of their big 10,000va unit!

Attachments

#17 ·
I already purchased one 1,000w isolation transformer and will order me this 2000w balanced isolation transformer also if I find the results of the 1,000w to be good: http://shop.plitron.com/shopexd.asp?id=332

I think it was about 330 shipped for a single unit which is a really good price for a 2kw.

One 2kw for the amp
one 1kw for the preamp
one 500w for the projector
one 250w for the bluray

This is what I'm working on now.

#22 ·
My understanding is that because a toroidal uses a donut core there is no imbalance of fields having to go around corners and therefore operate far more efficiently that the E-I core.
I find I get more current from a toroidal than I ever did from an E-I and the efficiency is above 90% which the E-I gets close to 90% (design depending) but never above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.