What would you buy? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 25 Old 03-12-16, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
My System
What would you buy?

As many of you know my Onkyo tx-nr809 recently fell out on me. It gave me 4.5 years of service and while I expected much longer I still enjoyed my time with it. To be honest I was eyeing the latest and greatest anyway but it forced my hand. So back in I went researching, scouring, and reading everything that was out there for the new AVR that would take its place. Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Arcam, Cambridge Audio, and on and on I read. Every time I thought I had made up my mind I would read something that would sway me in a different direction. In the end I chose the Marantz SR7010 and thought it might be interesting to ask you what would you buy? Forget what you have now and purely hypothetical.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 25 Old 03-12-16, 07:34 PM
Senior Shackster
My System
Re: What would you buy?

I'll get the Anthem MRX-1120. Thinking about it some more the new Onkyo's Z1000 or Z3000 look very interesting.

Last edited by robsong; 03-13-16 at 12:48 PM.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-13-16, 08:08 AM
Plain ole user
Tech Guru
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Interesting question and timing. I was thinking when you had your issue with the Onkyo that my 709 might be due in the not so distant future. No indication of issues but I bought it as a refurb and it does get used every day...I guess that says something about my expectation for Onkyo, though I have been completely happy with it.

I think if I had to replace it today, I would likely look at something similar unless I decided to go with another processing technology. I have to say, however, that for what we use it for it has been quite good and I don't know if anything more would be a great benefit other than tinkering with toys. So is 4-5 years an acceptable life expectancy? Would I want to go with something that "might" be more long term reliable? Frankly, I don't think the difference between brands would be all that great. My gut is still that Onkyo is a second tier product in this respect, but with the complexity of AVRs these days, I think there is less distance between the products in this respect.

As for moving to a newer processing technology, I would probably consider dirac if anything, but until I can build a new room, for the general purpose use we make of it now, the system is at a point of diminishing returns. I think anything else would go into my 2 channel system, but again, only in a better room where I could do more serious listening.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #4 of 25 Old 03-13-16, 09:17 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

Well, with plans in the works to build a new house next spring any buying of new equipment has gone on hold however my wife has already made it clear that I will be allowed to build a new theater room in the basement of the new place as a matter of fact she wants one to be built. We even looked at some new unoccupied homes over the last few weeks just to get some ideas of what we want and one of them is basement layout to accommodate the right size room.
Im seriously thinking a prepro (Maybe Marantz) as I already have enough extr=ernal amplification for a 7.1 system and all I would need is another to accommodate Atmos but will see.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 25 Old 03-13-16, 11:11 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

Good question Jeff. I've been very interested in DIRAC, especially after reading about Wayne's (and Lou's) adventures with it. However, I'm also very interested in Marantz(Cambridge too). My 808 is a survivor of the hdmi fix, and while it's been solid ever since (3yrs now), like Leonard said, I feel it's days are numbered. On the flip side, I have a txsr-500(circa 2000?) that was in daily use until it got bumped into a smaller Rec area of the house. It still works perfectly, and sounds great(not very powerful though). Since I have one external amp, I'd probably choose Marantz. But I haven't really gotten serious about buying. Yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 25 Old 03-13-16, 03:10 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

I liked my previous Marantz SR6003 and I like my current Denon AVR-X4000, so I'd very likely go with another one from either brand.

Last edited by eljay; 03-13-16 at 06:16 PM.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-13-16, 03:37 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

I also liked my Denon 2807, 3806, and 4125, but I really love my Yamaha CX-A5100. One huge plus for me is the app Yamaha has is 100% better than the Denon.

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #8 of 25 Old 03-13-16, 03:40 PM

I currently have a Yamaha RXA 2020. Picking up a 3050 tomorrow. I've had B&K and 2 previous Yamahas I can't remember the model number of my Yamaha prior to the 2020. Love Yamaha. Very reliable, menus are great, and my 3050 will do 4K switching at the receiver, with HDMI 2.0.a and HDCP 2.2. I should be future proofed for quite a while. Enjoy your Marantz! The Yamahas sound really good on all sources.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-13-16, 07:58 PM
My System

If starting from scratch:

Cambridge Audio CXR200

For speakers, KEF R series.
post #10 of 25 Old 03-14-16, 05:59 PM
My System

New models for 2016 will come in a few months. Already seeing closeouts for last year models, Fry's has Denon X2200 and X4200 for sale, $400 and $900. Do you want a specific room correction - e.g. Audyssey, Dirac, ARC, YPAO etc?

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page