Pioneer Elite SC-99 9.2 Channel Network AV Receiver Review Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 19 Old 08-02-16, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Pioneer Elite SC-99 9.2 Channel Network AV Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Sounds nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 08-02-16, 08:53 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: Pioneer Elite SC-99 9.2 Channel Network AV Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Have you (or anyone else to your knowledge) found a way to review/compare room correction systems? I know a lot of other variables would be in play, but I'd love to see a comparison between Audyssey, YPAO, and MCACC (the best version of each system). Surely someone must have swapped out a few receivers to see how each sounded before/after room correction. Even if were mostly subjective, it would be nice to see a comparison by someone who regularly reviews equipment.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-02-16, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

I've never attempted anything like that. It would be tough to do by ear... You can do an A-B comparison for a receiver vs itself... But the only way to effectively do it across receivers would be to measure room response. I think the time lapse between switching receivers would be too great to hear smaller differences.

Interesting thought, tho. If I could arrange for manufacturers to send their top receivers at the same time, I'd gladly do the measurements.

post #14 of 19 Old 08-02-16, 09:58 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Gotta throw Anthem's ARC and also Dirac Live in if you're going to do a comparison. I know Wayne (AudiocRaver) has a ton of experience with Dirac and Audyssey MultEQ , having exhaustively experimented with and tested both systems, mainly for two-channel applications. He has posted a lot in this forum about both of them.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-03-16, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

^^^ Agreed on everything you say.

Actually, Wayne would be be the guy to pull this off. At one point he did a direct comparison of Odyssey and Dirac (I believe).

Obviously, your best is to maximize sound through speaker placement and treating your room. BUT, the EQ system can have significant impact (as I found with the SC-99)!
post #16 of 19 Old 08-03-16, 12:33 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

How would u compare this with denon 7200? And if this is perfectly compatible with Samsung UHD BLURAY PLAYER?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17 of 19 Old 08-03-16, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Yes, fully compatible with the UHD Blu-ray player.

As for comprising, both the Denon and Elite are super solid. The Denon ships with Audyssey room correction software (which, I believe might give you slightly better sub EQ... Although the I thought the Elite's MCACC controlled sound was fantastic). The SC-99 with its Class D amps will probably run cooler, overall.

Denon does offer an Auro 3D upgrade for an additional fee... While Auro hasn't penetrated the movie market in the US, I've been extremely impressed with the demos I've heard.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-13-16, 08:46 PM
Pending
Robert

New to surround sound here:
I'm working on a 7.1.4 setup in my basement. I want to get a pair of vari-angled in-wall speakers from monoprice for the rear. They are rated for 100 watts max. The SC-99 states it gives 140 watts a channel, but I will have 9 speakers running of the amp (Front L & R off a pre amp), so I was wondering how the math works when it has 850 watts total. Thanks for the help!
post #19 of 19 Old 09-19-16, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Robert had asked a question about speakers above... our conversation has been over PM... just wanted to include my last exchange with him:

Ok, let's look at the Caliber In Ceiling Speakers 8 Inch Fiber 2-Way with 15į Angled Drivers.

Under specifications, Monoprices says they have a sensitivity of 89dB, with 80 watts nominal, 160 watts maximum.

What this means, is that a test tone played with 1 Watt of power (and measured 1 meter away from the speaker) will produce 89 decibels (dB) of sound. In order to increase the sound by 3 more dB you need to double the wattage. So, 2 Watts would make a 92dB sound 1 meter away from the speaker. 4 Watts = 95dB, 8W = 98dB, 16W = 101 dB, 32W = 104, 64W =107... and so on.

64W is getting loud... double that(128W) and you are about 10dB short of a rock concert (in other words, loud)

These particular speakers have a rating of 80W nominal... that's the average power that the speakers can handle without getting damaged. The 160 max rating tells you what kind of dynamic input the speakers can handle (voltage spikes associated with sounds like an explosion of symbols clashing).

I highly doubt you're going to be driving these speakers above 100dB (reference volume levels in a home theater are typically set at 75 db)... so, as you can see, these speaker will likely operate at normal listening conditions under their nominal power ratings...and likely the same is true of the max power rating.

You can look at your other speakers' values, but I'm sure you'll find they all generally fall in line with this.

Are you running a subwoofer? If so, it's onboard amp takes care of quite a bit of the heavy lifting below the crossover point you select.

The forum here on HTS is super friendly...I encourage you to open a install thread...detail what you're doing...and then share your impressions! ;-)