Review Discussion Thread: miniDSP DDRC-88BM 8-Channel Dirac Live Processor With Bass Management - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #11 of 15 Old 10-07-16, 10:30 AM
Shackster

Re: Review Discussion Thread: miniDSP DDRC-88BM 8-Channel Dirac Live Processor With Bass Management

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
I totally hear you. Finding the right balance between brevity and detail, and digging into the right detail, is not an easy matter. My musings are not always newbie friendly, not always friendly for any audience, pics and diagrams help but take a lot of time. My approach tends to be to chunk it into categories. For instance, HDMI stuff is mainly all in one guide. Speaker setup in another. I am trying to get more organized about such things. Let us know what areas you need more clarification in.

BTW what is your home city?
I live in Maryland, about 25 miles North of Washington DC. I do not know if anyone in my area has the miniDSP set up and would be willing to give me an in house demo and tutorial. I'd be more than happy to drive 50-60 miles if required. It would be so much more informative and educational to see the system in use and understand how one sets it up and calibrates it.

Cal68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 10-07-16, 10:36 AM
Shackster

Re: Review Discussion Thread: miniDSP DDRC-88BM 8-Channel Dirac Live Processor With Bass Management

Quote:
Just curious about the context here. I do a lot of jumping back & forth, and could probably clarify a bit on the matter. Can you describe what you are doing with what waveform?
When I used REW and my UMIK-1 microphone to try and map the subwoofer set-up in my home theater, I got to a point where the REW program is ready to send out a signal to my sub. At that point a pop-up appears and I need to click a button to send the signal out of my computer to the sub. There is a drop down menu in that pop-up where one can choose to send either a Pink Noise or Sine Wave signal to the sub and I was choosing Pink Noise. I will choose the Sine Wave option the next time I use REW.

I hope my explanation helps. If not, I will update it with more details the next time I use REW because then I will be able to specify exactly which pop-up box I am referring to.

Thanks for your help.

Cal68
post #13 of 15 Old 10-28-16, 02:02 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Firstly, thanks for the excellent review!
I have been looking at the Emotiva XMC1 for a while now solely because it has Dirac Live so it is nice to see it offered as a stand alone unit. Do you happen to know the differences , if any between the minidsp version and what is included in the xmc1?

post #14 of 15 Old 10-28-16, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
Cal68 wrote: View Post
I live in Maryland, about 25 miles North of Washington DC. I do not know if anyone in my area has the miniDSP set up and would be willing to give me an in house demo and tutorial. I'd be more than happy to drive 50-60 miles if required. It would be so much more informative and educational to see the system in use and understand how one sets it up and calibrates it.

Cal68
That experience would be invaluable. And if done properly, you would feel incomplete until you had Dirac in your own setup.

Quote:
Cal68 wrote: View Post
When I used REW and my UMIK-1 microphone to try and map the subwoofer set-up in my home theater, I got to a point where the REW program is ready to send out a signal to my sub. At that point a pop-up appears and I need to click a button to send the signal out of my computer to the sub. There is a drop down menu in that pop-up where one can choose to send either a Pink Noise or Sine Wave signal to the sub and I was choosing Pink Noise. I will choose the Sine Wave option the next time I use REW.

I hope my explanation helps. If not, I will update it with more details the next time I use REW because then I will be able to specify exactly which pop-up box I am referring to.Cal68
The Make A Measurement box should only allow for a measurement sweep, not sure where you got the option for pink noise.

Quote:
typ44q wrote: View Post
Firstly, thanks for the excellent review!
I have been looking at the Emotiva XMC1 for a while now solely because it has Dirac Live so it is nice to see it offered as a stand alone unit. Do you happen to know the differences , if any between the minidsp version and what is included in the xmc1?
The full version of Dirac on the XMC-1 should be the same as with the DDRC-88BM. The DDRC-88BM has the advantage of showing the gain and delay adjustments made by Dirac. and gives the opportunity to change them if needed in the output stage. That is a VERY fine point, but it does give the 88BM a VERY slight edge.

I have not gotten my hands dirty working with an XMC-1 yet, but have heard the result in tesseract's system, and was VERY impressed.

If you have any leanings toward the XMC-1, go with it. I lean toward the 88BM for tweakability, but there is alot more to consider with it.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-01-16, 12:52 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
That experience would be invaluable. And if done properly, you would feel incomplete until you had Dirac in your own setup.

The Make A Measurement box should only allow for a measurement sweep, not sure where you got the option for pink noise.

The full version of Dirac on the XMC-1 should be the same as with the DDRC-88BM. The DDRC-88BM has the advantage of showing the gain and delay adjustments made by Dirac. and gives the opportunity to change them if needed in the output stage. That is a VERY fine point, but it does give the 88BM a VERY slight edge.

I have not gotten my hands dirty working with an XMC-1 yet, but have heard the result in tesseract's system, and was VERY impressed.

If you have any leanings toward the XMC-1, go with it. I lean toward the 88BM for tweakability, but there is alot more to consider with it.
Thanks, I will have to take a long hard look when it actually comes time to make my purchase. I wonder if Dirac in the XMC1 will extend to the Atmos channels once it becomes available?
I do like the idea that I can use the 88BM with my existing equipment making the cost a little easier to handle.