Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Onkyo 876 Problem

Tags
onkyo problem
13K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  indytta 
#1 ·
About 3 weeks ago my Right Front Polk Audio R50 took a great tumble and was knocked over rather hard. AT first it was working fine and everything. However, it started to be spotty and work sometimes, and other times not at all. I attributed it could be the fall. But today my Left Front Polk Audio R50 stopped working. I thought it was weird, and since the wife was the one who knocked over the Right one, I thought she may have switched them so I wouldn't notice the right side not working sometimes. Well, WHen I tried with the connections on the back, it turned off my Onkyo 876. I use Banana plugs for my connections, and have an idea it may be one problem. And now my Onkyo is blinking the Standby light on the front, and won't stay on.

Any ideas?

Also, last night my fuse box got tripped and had to reset the fuse for that section, could that be a possibility? I have a surge protector for the Stereo and rest of the equipment

#2 ·
Have you tried to unplug the receiver from the power and let it sit for about 10 min and plug back in.
disconnect the two front speakers before you plug it back in and see what happens.

#3 ·
I unplugged it for 10 minutes, and than unplugged the main's, at the speaker level, and it still turned off after turning on.

#4 ·
it sounds like a fault and is shutting down. Unplug the receiver again and unhook all the speakers at the receiver end (yes I know this is a pain) plug the receiver back in and try again.

#5 ·
Man, this 876 is so heavy and large that my TV stand has to have it on the bottom shelf...and sticking out like a good 2 inches. getting it out is kinda a pain because i only have about 3 to 4 inches clearance over the onkyo. so i have to pull it nearly completely out, than push the wires back.

#6 ·
So I unplugged it yet again, than disconnected the speakers. After 10 minutes or so, i plugged it back in where it still turned off after i turned it on

#7 ·
Thats not a good sign, You should give Onkyo's customer service a call and see what they say. I suspect something got damaged inside.

#8 · (Edited)
I did some searching and it seems that if this happens you may need to unplug everything from the back of the receiver and then power it up again as some other piece of equipment could be causing this issue as well particularly anything using HDMI. The flashing standby light means that it is in "protect mode".
I do think that something is shorting out inside the Polk that got knocked down and that in turn has caused some sort of issue with the 876.

#9 ·
Ha, I did unplug everything from the 876. Even the HDMI out, the inputs, all outs...still nothing.

I sent a note to Onkyo Support. Hopefully I will get a response

#11 ·
Yes, its a 5.1 configuration. But no, they are not bi-amped.

I sent it in to a local service center. But its a 40 mile drive...and it was during rush hour. A 40 min drive took almost 2 hours...and a lot of cutting people off and taking the carpool lane here and there to get there in time. I got there 4 min before it closed.

*whew*

#12 · (Edited)
Glad you made it in the neck of a time Brock. :)

* And also glad that you don't try to bi-amp either, it's not the right way to do things with that receiver and your speakers anyway.
You are much better off to simply use the two additional amps for a second zone, or for Back surrounds eventually.

Please, keep in touch for the latest developments regarding your receiver.

Good luck,
Bob

#13 ·
Yeah.

Well, also...i couldnt find my original sales reciept. Although, the AVR hasnt even been released for 2 years yet, i had to email the invoice to them to get confirmation of it being purchased under warranty.

I did that, and hope it will go well. They said it might have to be sent to my regional service center 1000 miles away. But thats good for me, the shipping is covered by them. WHile for me, it was around 60$ for ground shipping of it, and over 250 for most other forms of shipping.

#15 ·
Yea, UPS, FedEx and USPS all quoted me around 200-320$ to ship it. Its mainly because the cost of the product itself, when I claimed it as at least 1000$, and over 50lbs, every shipping choice possible was over 50$, only one was under 100$, and 80% of the rest were over 250$.

Quite a nightmare I thought

#17 ·
When I called them, they said I had to pay for shipping to them, parts, labor and shipping back would all be covered.

But If i wanted I could take to a local service center, I could and then it would all be on them to ship around if needed.

#19 ·
As with all consumer end electronics there will be bad units floating around. Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Marantz and Pioneer all have problems if you look around hard enough. Look at the so called Onkyos catching Fire report, so far not one member on the Shack has had an issue with that and it was reported to be a wide spread problem. Its just fear mongering if you ask me because of one bad customer.

#23 ·
I am a first time poster but have been browsing the forums for many months. Including help in researching for a new receiver back in december of 09.

Well six months later and what i thought was a good choice has turned out to be a bummer. I also have problems with my 876

i'm very dissapointed in this top of the line piece. Never purchased an onkyo before and decided to give them a shot. I've always been into high end audio from car to home use. I can't believe this thing stopped working after 6months. Bought this when they were $800 (brand new not refurbished) so there was a big discount and luckily it was through an authorized dealer.

Amp protecting mode has kicked on and i have no way of resetting it without taking it to an authorized dealer. Tried all the tricks from unplugging to clearing and nothing has worked. I would understand if i did something wrong, but i was listening with it on at a low level (it was late at night and i live in an apartment). Went to turn it off with the remote to go to bed, and i heard a bad click when it turned off (the whole noisy relay clicking sound when it turns on/off which seems to be normal has somewhat bothered me since day one).

I noticed in one of the replys they mentioned about bi-amping. I am bi-amping since my front speakers are capable of doing this. They have the jumper bars for doing this. Not sure if this could be the cause of the problem, but now i feel like i will have to baby this thing when i get it back. Definately not what i was expecting when paying that kind of money. This thing should be built like a tank.

#24 ·
They have the jumper bars for doing this. Not sure if this could be the cause of the problem, but now i feel like i will have to baby this thing when i get it back. Definately not what i was expecting when paying that kind of money. This thing should be built like a tank.
Hi and welcome to the Shack!

You did remove the jumpers between the two sets of speaker binding posts before you hooked them up right?
A major cause of this is usually a loose strand of wire touching the opposite terminal and happens allot more than you think.

#27 ·
You may have a short circuit internal to the speaker that was knocked over. Disconnect it from your system and see what happens. You will need to look at the Onkyo manual or talk to their tech support to see how it deals with a shorted a output, and how to reset it. If you have a ohm meter put it across the speaker's input terminals after you have disconnected it and see what it reads, should be greater than 4 ohms. Good luck!

MC

#29 ·
Yup, check them with an ohm meter and see what you get. My honest opinion is bi-amping with most speakers using the internal amps of a receiver yields little to no difference in performance particularly a receiver like the 876 as its got plenty of headroom.
Car amps are able to draw power at a much higher amperage and this can sometimes give a more stable trouble free system but that said its really hit and miss. you have to remember that a receiver like the 876 has far more processing power and features than most if not all car audio systems so fare more possibilities of something going wrong.

#33 ·
Okay, so i finally got my receiver back after being repaired. Although i have been noted that it was abuse.

They put a couple of notes on it.

1) Could have been due to overheating (ventilation).
2) Damaged Speakers
3) Or playing to loud.

I'm ruling out number 3 because i live in a apartment and don't play the stereo loud.

So i either have a damaged speaker or its overheating. I'm trying to figure out if my paradigms are damaged but the things only say compatable with 8ohms so not sure what i should be measuring with the ohmeter.

My backs Left/Right measure 9.4 ohms and my fronts measure 4ohms. Anybody have any ideas? Really don't want to reconnect until i found out the speakers are ok.

For all i know maybe the amp overheated and damaged the speakers.

#34 ·
From these options, I would assume you had a problem in the output stage or power supply. They leave out the most common problem, shorted speaker wires, or strands touching from positive to negative at the terminals.

Who did the service, what did they end up changing to fix it? If you post more detail, it may be helpful to others in the future.

#35 ·
I was thinking it could be a shorted wire somewhere also so i bought some better bannana plugs (got the closed screw instead of open screw). I've had them hooked up for awhile so didn't think that could have been it but who knows. Maybe i had too much wire sticking through the holes.

Anyways it was warranted so didn't pay anything. It was a authorized repair facility 30 minutes from where i live.

they replaced the following
1) 1 - 1B170564-1E Power Amp PCB
2) 2 - 2202843 Transistor
3) 2 - 2202833 Transistor
4) 4 - 453532294T Resistor
5) 2 - 40000233S Resistor
6) 4 - 415471014T Resistor

If it did overheat, i'd be pretty disappointed. Don't they have a mechanism to shutdown from overheating before anything gets damaged?

#36 ·
Most do, but repeatedly running a unit with a short or an overheating condition will eventually take out the output devices or power supply.

It is curious that they replaced the board AND all the parts listed.

Post the details of your connections to the unit and the load it is driving. Perhaps someone will recognize a problem.

#37 ·
I had Paradigm Monitor 5's in the front bi-amped, APD170's in the rear, and a CC370 for the center.

I'm somewhat bothered by the fact that i measure 4ohms in the front and i had my amp configured for greater than 6 ohms.

I understand that its only DC resistance i'm measuring, but something isn't right for something to go wrong with it so soon.

And the amp never shut off due to overheating or any such other thing before this happened. There actually wasn't even any sound coming through the speakers as i had my headphones on and turned off the radio when i heard a bad pop. Tried to turn it back on and thats when it went into protect mode.

I came across this with somebody else running into problems bi-amping with paradigm speakers
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=275279&page=2

I know i won't be bi-amping it when i get it connected, but i've yet to connect anything because i'm a little paranoid about the readings i'm getting with the speakers. Should i be so worried.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.