Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Receiver processing question

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  FNG212 
#1 ·
I had this question in HTPC but not much traffic there.

My Yammy HTR-5550 has 4 optical inputs but there seems to be buzzing or hissing with certain digital signals (but i havent figured out specifics) from movies. The EQ is stuck on "Rock Concert" making voices distant and hollow/tinny sounding. This is on the "MD/CD-R" input (TiVo is on "D-TV/CBL" and my DVD player is on "DVD" input, each sound great all the time). The 4th input is V-AUX and no sound comes through that at all.

When I hook my HTPC to the D-TV/CBL input voices sound fine from streaming sources such as Hulu/Netflix but all sound from movies I've digitized to the Hard Drive have a buzz/hiss on top of it.

I told my wife its because the receiver trying to play certain digital signals that it can't fully decode or whatever. I hope I'm wrong so I don't have to buy a new receiver. BUT! if I'm right I got the green light to buy a new receiver, it just better solve the issue.

Please help! I just want clean sound, I don't care how I get it.

#2 ·
Hello,
I really do not have much experience with HTPC integration to HT, but will do my best to help. What program are you using to to rip Movies on to your Hard Drive? Also, are you having this same result when using iTunes or from the Digital Copies that come with some Blu Ray's?

I do not that sometimes Studio's do add information to Discs to add distortion in the event that a DVD is copied. I am not sure if this is the case here, but from reading that you are not getting distortion when using Hulu and Netflix, perhaps.

Hopefully, someone who has their Computer integrated with their HT will chime in here. Also, it is always a good time to buy a new AVR.
Cheers,
JJ

#4 ·
I'll double check that they got downloaded with the rest of the initial boot updates.

Most material I'm running sounds fine. I got it switched off "Rock Concert" and now voices sound natural. If drivers don't fix it I'm going to assume its content based and move on, even though that means I don't get a new receiver =(

#5 ·
Try playing a disc (CD and/or DVD) on the PC's disc drive while the PC's audio out is connected to the AVR. Compare that sound to the stand-alone DVD player's sound. If the PC sounds OK, then the problem is in the ripping process. If it sounds lousy, then the problem may be in the PC's DVD drive or player software, or in the audio card and its software.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.