Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Onkyo 805 "goes to black"

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jungle Jack 
#1 ·
I could sure use some help diagnosing a problem with my 805. As soon as there is a modest transient sound the receiver shuts off. Is this likely to be because there is a partial short in the speaker wiring? Or can the receiver develop a "hair trigger" over time. I have the unit set on 4 ohms. Any other possibilities that I haven't though of?

Thanks, Ron

#2 ·
Yes a short could most defiantly do that, Make sure that all of the speaker connections have no loose strands touching the frame or each other. on both the speaker side and receiver. Also if that does not seem to be the problem disconnect all the speakers and one at a time try reconnecting them and see if the problem reappears.

#3 ·
Hello,
Tony's advice is spot on. Hopefully it is just a wire being disconnected.
Cheers,
JJ

#4 ·
Thanks Tony, armed with your encouraging word, I sallied forth into the fray. And yes \, it was a wire in the wall at the connector. I fixed it and am now disgustingly proud of myself. Until, of course I think about the fact that it was my lousy wiring job in the first place that caused the problem.
Thanks guys, Ron

#6 ·
Glad it was an easy fix:T

#7 ·
Hello,
I am so glad it was an easy fix. Onkyo's x05 Series on up have been quite reliable. I love my TX-SR875 and really want for nothing with it.
Cheers,
JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.