Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Should i recalibrate sound volume

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  apilon 
#1 ·
Good morning all,

My Onkyo TX-SR706 is being used as a pre-amp. Emotiva XPA 3 and UPA-2 are used to drive the front and surround, and the back surround and sub are drive by the Onkyo,

Friday night i used Audyssey to calibrate the system and here the reasult i got

LEFT -7DB
Center -9 DB
Right -6,5 DB
Surround Right -3,5 DB
Surround Back Right -9 DB
Surround Back Left -8,5 DB
Surround Left -6,5 DB
Sub +0,5DB

Mains cutoff are at 150 Hz except for the back surround at 120 and i set the sub at 120 as well

Today i used my Radio Shack SPL to verify settings and all mains were at 70DB and the sub was at 75 DB

My question is should i use the SPL to boost all mains to 75Db or leave everything as is?

Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
That really depends on if your finding the bass overpowering or not. Its not uncommon for people to boost the sub channel anyway if they like a fair bit of bass.

If you like how it sounds, then keep it. If not then try balancing it and see what you make of that. Let your ears be the judge I say.

#4 ·
The above advice is good :T
The one thing I should ask is how are you pointing the mic on the SPL meter. When taking the readings keep the SPL meter pointed up and in the same spot.

#7 ·
Mike is pointing to the ceiling same height and i am using a mic tripod and a guide i found on AVS forum

#5 ·
Hello,
What kind of Speakers are you using? A 150 Hz Crossover is awfully high. The recommended THX XO is 80 Hz. At 150 Hz, many Subwoofers are not in their comfort zone.
Cheers,
JJ

#6 ·
My speakers are paradigm Cinema CT100

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.