Yamaha Rx-v765 shuts down - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 8259 - Replies: 16  
Old 03-20-10, 12:59 PM   #11
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Since: Jul 2009
Siesta Key, Florida
Re: Yamaha Rx-v765 shuts down

Hello,
It definitely appears that there is an issue. I would run YPAO and see if it changes anything.
While you do not have anything stacked on top of it, how much clearance do you have above the AVR?
I would run YPAO and setup the AVR in an open air setup and see if the AVR still shuts down.

Usually, shutdown after 45 minutes or so indicates thermal issues. Given you are using efficient Speakers, I am somewhat surprised you have had so many shutdowns.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS3 60 gb, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-10, 01:25 PM   #12
Shackster

Russ
Since: Mar 2010
Wichita, Ks USA
I started this thread.

I'll try that. I have 6 inchs or so open above the receiver now - I'll increase that and see what happens. Thanks to all for your interest / help.

Old 03-20-10, 01:46 PM   #13
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Since: Jul 2009
Siesta Key, Florida

Hello,
I really think it might be a ventilation issue coupled with an AVR with insufficient Heatsinks to dissipate the heat buildup. Some AVR's cheap out on Heatsinks, Power Supply, and the amount of Capacitance to keep up with the Technology Arms Race going on between Manufacturers of AV Receivers.

With the costs for licensing Dolby True HD/Digital/PLII, DTS-HD/DTS-ES/DTS NEO, HDMI, THX, and more being high and with competition being cutthroat to keep costs down, Power Supply is an area where Manufacturers often skimp on to maintain profitability.

The weight of many current HDMI AVR's have really gone down while offering an amazing amount more of Processing Power for Room Correction, HDMI, and the Surround codecs.

This is why many of us here are fans of Onkyo. Somehow, they have managed to remain on the cutting edge of technology while still offering impressive Power Supplies in many of their mid to upper tier Models. At prices that are far less than competing Brands.

This is especially true of Onkyo's THX Ultra 2 Certified Models which also offer Audyssey MultEQ XT, and Reon Video Processing (truly one of the best) , and impressive Power Supplies. It truly can be seen in the weight of the Models. All of them weighing 50 pounds or more.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS3 60 gb, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

Old 03-20-10, 03:13 PM   #14
Shackster

Russ
Wichita, Ks USA
I started this thread.

Thanks for the input JJ. I agree - it acts like a heat problem. Another interesting anomoly - twice now I have attempted to access menus and the receiver would immediately return to the mode before the menu. Today, for example, I was attempting to menu to run the YPAO program. The receiver kept cycling out of the menu page - until I ran the fan over the reciever. It then held the menu page, allowing me to select and run the YPAO program. Previously I had attempted to run the auto-tune program with the same results - it wouldn't hold on the menu page. After the receiver had been shut off for some time, it would hold the menu page so I could select auto-tune. These all sound like thermal issues - cooling the receiver seems to correct the malfunctions.

Old 03-20-10, 04:38 PM   #15
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA

If the unit shuts down with nothing connected with the space around it that you are describing, it has a defect that should be serviced. Contact a Yamaha service center. If it is new and you bought it from an authorized dealer it should be covered by warranty. Even if you did not buy it from an authorized dealer it may be covered.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 11-29-10, 03:00 AM   #16

Since: Nov 2010

I had the same problem so after reading some of the posts, I disconnected all the speakers etc and unplugged the unit for about 10 minutes or so. After I plugged the power cord back in, it still shut itself off after a few minutes so I gave up and unplugged the power cord again. About a week later, I was going to dispose of the unit but decided to give it one last try first. And guess what, after I hooked the speakers etc up again and plugged in the power cord, it worked fine!!! I have used it while watching many TV shows and playing games for about a week now and it still works perfectly. I don't know why having everything, (including the power) unplugged for a week would fix it but it seems to have done just that. Hope this helps...

Old 11-30-10, 09:45 PM   #17
Shackster

Russ
Wichita, Ks USA
I started this thread.

Thanks for the reply. I was unable to stop the unit from shutting down. I returned it and received another unit. It has worked fine - no prolems at all. I think I had a defective unit.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »