AVR as pre/pro - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 39 Old 04-16-10, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
My System
Re: AVR as pre/pro

Thanks guys, I will be purchasing the Onkyo 1007 and be done with it. Then looking to upgrade loudspeakers. I have several to consider and will be throwing these suggestions out to you for advice. Thanks again for all your feedback.
Most sincerely, Jeff
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 39 Old 04-16-10, 11:50 PM

tonyvdb wrote: View Post
This depends on the movie, New action movies sound far better than they did with DD or even DTS It really depends on your system setup if your speakers and amps are up to the task the uncompressed formats do offer allot more dynamics.
I will continue to wholeheartedly and respectfully disagree; I have done multiple, almost bordering on daunting, A/B comparo's between lossy and lossless tracks of the same film -- and even went as far as to compare the lossy tracks on the DVDs vs. some lossy tracks that are available on the Blu-ray counterparts (such as with the "Pirates" films) -- and I don't hear a great deal of sonic improvement, if any.

Another thing I noticed that bothered me, and which has been confirmed by some sources, is that DTS Master Audio tracks on some titles don't sound any more dynamic or aggressive than their core DTS streams from the same disc -- my first BD player was a Panasonic DMP-BD10A which did not pass Master Audio natively nor did it decode it internally. The player stripped the core DTS signal from an MA title and played the core track back at the increased data rate. Those tracks sounded pretty neat. Now, when I got my Oppo BDP-83 player and was able to access full lossless bitstreamed Master Audio surround tracks, I didn't hear any difference between the core signal and the lossless extension version.
post #33 of 39 Old 04-17-10, 01:23 AM

I agree with Tony and there are differences to be had and I noticed this more when moving up the chain to more high end gear, especially with power amps and the extra dynamics that can be had from listening to the new HD codecs.
post #34 of 39 Old 04-17-10, 10:12 AM
Elite Shackster

I think John brings up an excellent point about having high resolution Speakers and high powered Amplifiers to get the most out of the lossless codecs.

Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #35 of 39 Old 04-17-10, 03:29 PM

Well, then, perhaps the difference lies in stepping up to gear beyond the realm of that which my Onkyo 605 sits in; my first upgrade was speakers, in which I went from Polk R20 bookshelves to Polk RTi12's for mains, which were the company's flagship model of the RTi line previously. While this yielded some improvement in dynamics and soundstage coherency, I still do not sense drastic, Earth-shaking differences between lossy surround tracks encoded in Dolby Digital or DTS and those in the lossless varities of TrueHD and Master Audio.

Even previous Home Theater Magazine video editor Geoffrey Morrison made the same observation about the new codecs when some of them first appeared on HD-DVD discs; he claimed that the jump from the lossless audio from the lossy variants, while welcomed, was not nearly as dynamically visceral or outstanding as the jump from, say, the video differences in high def from standard.

I recently read an article by Geoffrey which he wrote in the magazine he is now editor in chief for and he still stands by that sentiment.

BTW, I noticed the reference to "HIGH RESOLUTION SPEAKERS" from the previous member's post; what exactly are "high resolution speakers"? Do we actually need these to experience the new surround codecs? Because if so, I bought the wrong ones by going with the Polk RTi12's...
post #36 of 39 Old 04-17-10, 04:17 PM
Elite Shackster

I can attest to the need for speaker with a very good dynamic range. I had to switch from Magnepans to DIY compression horn speakers to get the most of the lossless formats. Even my center channel speaker which are DIY Mark Audio's are going to have to be switched out with a new DIY center.

Drake's Home Theater Build
"Half of everything I know is wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know which half."
post #37 of 39 Old 04-17-10, 06:56 PM

Okay, speakers with "good dynamic range" is something else; but what I don't understand and probably never will is why companies like Onkyo and Polk make products that are in the somewhat "affordable" category for "enjoying" and "experiencing" the new surround codecs, but they're still not what's needed to TRULY experience these formats -- case in point: My 605 receiver. This decodes TrueHD and Master Audio, yet it doesn't fully extract the sonic benefits of the new codecs due to its probably inferior parts and D/A converters, present in more expensive AVRs and processors.

Are we to believe that the only people able to access the sonic improvements made by the lossless surround formats are those such as the member that posted above me just before who creates DIY speakers and elements? Otherwise, we need to buy the likes of Loimanchay Speakers, which cost upwards of $150K per pair in the U.S.?
post #38 of 39 Old 04-18-10, 12:38 AM

It's OK if you feel that there is not much improvement from the normal vanilla DD & DTS, I have heard people mention this many times but that can be down to a number of things, setup/kit and the room being the most important part, trust me there is a difference between higher resolution and lossless formats and I have been enjoying them for years via DVD-A and SACD and now thankfully Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA are giving an even better movie viewing experience
post #39 of 39 Old 04-19-10, 01:08 AM

I'm in a pretty nice-sized room with little to no reflective problems (based on resonance tests) and I have what I consider to be (and some others have agreed) a bit above "the basics" needed for good surround experiences in terms of gear; still, I don't hear a "night and day" improvement over the lossy codecs we've been used to via DVD. Of course, with multi-million-dollar setups, the evidence would probably be more than overwhelming, but that's not what most enthusiasts are running. I cannot believe, to this day, that you need to invest in $200K speakers in order to hear distinct differences between the formats/codecs.

I'm still trying to figure out what "High Resolution speakers" are though...

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page