Need help with Audyssey on Onkyo TX-NR807 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 06-24-10, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Need help with Audyssey on Onkyo TX-NR807

Rewired the cabinet and put in the new TX-NR807 and excited to set up Audyssey but am now stuck. It is giving me a Speaker Detect Error on the left rear surround and the sub.

Following is what I have:
TX-NR807
5.1 speakers, all Klipsch

When I go into the Onkyo configuration I get output from all six speakers so they are all connected and working. The setup has them going at Odb and they sound relatively equal in volume.

Something I noticed in this receiver is that it is defaulted to 7.1 so when I try to configure the setup of the speakers if you remove the side surround speakers the program removes the rear surround and does not allow you to manually add them. This seems odd.

So we know that the speakers are connected and working. The setup is on 7,1 even though we have 5,1. Moving to Audyssey, the setup program starts up and begins to look for whatever speakers are present. As it walks its way around the room, it starts with the left high, left wide, etc., and keeps going in a clockwise direction. On the monitor diagram the sub is at about 2 o'clock but it seems to get skipped during setup. I read the instructions about turning up the volume and removing any low pass filters which I did. So the setup continues to the right rear surround, OK, then it doesn't continue to the left rear surround. It doesn't even flash on the speaker in the diagram as it does on all the others - even the channels which arent' being used. So it appears the program is stopping without even testing these speakers. The program stops and give the message of Speaker Detect Error of missing the sub and the left rear surround.

The options are only to run it again or quit. There are no manual setup features or troubleshooting that I am aware of. So does anyone have any idea what is going on? I bought this receiver almost primarily for the Audyssey feature. Without it, it might as well be any other amp.

Thanks,

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-24-10, 05:23 PM
Banned!

Re: Need help with Audyssey on Onkyo TX-NR807

Make sure your surrounds are actually in surround and not back. Are you hearing sound from all your speakers/sub during the test?

Sub should be last channel tested, after speakers.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-24-10, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Thanks for the tip. I went to the Audyssey website and they said the same thing. Even though it is in the manual as I discovered, it seems counter intuitive.

But the good news is that it now is working correctly. You are correct that the sub comes last.

You know how it is when you do a couple days work and get it all ready to go and run into something like this. Thankfully it was something simple. I actually did read through the manual before connecting everything but I am sure I skimmed over the "the back left and right surround are only the back left and right surround if you have the surround left and right in use. Otherwise the back and left and right surround will now be powered by the left and right surround............." They could have done this internally. Oh well.

Thanks
post #4 of 19 Old 06-24-10, 06:40 PM
Banned!

You're not the first person this has happened to. Enjoy the new system.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-25-10, 11:00 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I am glad you have this all sorted out. I was out Fishing last night and then watched my beloved Atlanta Hawks sell Draft Picks as our Ownership is broke.

Goyop, I am glad you go Audyssey all set. It can be finicky. I go so far as to turn off my Central A/C Unit when performing Audyssey as making the room as quiet as possible is quite important. And when living in SW Florida, that is truly a sacrifice. It is also fairly common for Audyssey to get the distance on the Subwoofer wrong. I am glad that was not your experience.

Again, congrats on your new AVR. I really think it will provide you with years of joy.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #6 of 19 Old 06-25-10, 01:45 PM
Banned!

I'll one up you...I unplug my fridge and hide behind the couch when I run Audyssey...seriously, I do. Also, I thought that the reason the sub often has the distance wrong was a correction for phase, and that the distance should not be corrected manually afterwords.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-25-10, 01:49 PM
Banned!

From the Audyssey Setup Guide, posted at many different places on the internet:

4. Do not change the distance setting of the subwoofer: The subwoofer / satellite speaker time alignment blend is based on this setting.

Inaccurate subwoofer distance measurements usually occur when a subwoofer’s Low-Pass Filter (LPF) is active, or when using subwoofer equalization systems.

The LPF, by nature of its design, introduces additional delay to the signal.

Audyssey measures the delay of the signal and compensates for it by increasing the subwoofer distance setting.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-25-10, 02:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I have been lucky that I have never had my Subwoofer Distance be far off as some have experienced. However, I do know that this is a fairly common thing.

Marshall, those are some excellent additional bits of information. And excellent call on unplugging the Fridge. I think I will do that next time I run MultEQ XT.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #9 of 19 Old 06-26-10, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

You guys are awesome.

Thanks
post #10 of 19 Old 06-26-10, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I may post this elsewhere also and / or if you guys want to move it or copy it so others can benefit from it feel free.

First, thanks JJ for the recommendation on Audyssey. As mentioned before, I have manually EQ'd hundreds of rooms for live sound. I did my home also and got a decent result. However, the Audyssey is unbelievable. I selected four spots for the microphone and somehow in the magic of the Audyssey system each of the four spots has near perfect convergence and levels. This is not something you could do manually, ever.

The levels and curves that were calculated resulted in the smoothest listening situation I have ever heard. I am a trained sound engineer and recording engineer with a decent ear. This is one smooth setup. Very pleasing to the ear.

At first I was uncertain about the overall EQ. Most likely due to the dramatic difference between before and after. (Unfortunately I did not take and baseline measurements of the old system) However the more I listen the more pleased I am. Time will tell but to me it is a slight bit "tinny" in the midrange and not quite enough sizzle at the upper end. Has anyone experienced this? Also is there a way to make some minor preference adjustments?

For me Aydysseyt rocks. I always felt sorry for guys who did not have their rooms or cars EQ'd knowing how much better things sound with a flat curve to start with. Now I feel sorry for myself for not having Aydyssey for so long and for all the others who don't have access to it.

PS My sub distance came out pretty close to correct. However it may be because I had the gain set fairly high for the measurements. The program actually cut the gain back in the system but maybe having the gain higher will give a more accurate distance read.