Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Onkyo has been in the shop for a Month!

8K views 66 replies 11 participants last post by  Jungle Jack 
#1 ·
My man cave is depressing without surround sound. I don't even want to watch movies or play video games without my surround sound. My SR507 lost all connectivity with the HDMI ports so it is in the shop. They have replaced two boards and it hasn't fixed it. Now they are waiting on Onkyo again to send them some other board... how many boards are in a receiver?

#34 ·
I also second Jacks suggestion for the 707. Bang for buck its a very good option.

#36 ·
yeah.. i do like it.. I got a feeling this entire UPS process of getting me money ro what ever is going to be another long out drowned out process....

#35 ·
Hello,
You could also add Onkyo's HD Radio Module and have far greater SQ. Perhaps you could sell your Onkyo iPod Dock and put the proceeds towards the HD Radio Module. What is awesome about HD Radio is that it is free,
Cheers,
JJ

#37 ·
Yes it will be, I had to file claims with them in the past and it can take as long as two months.

#38 ·
thee is no way i am waiting two months... can't i just take it to a ups store and have one of those inspect it

#39 ·
Hello,
If you have the funds, I would pick up an AVR now and demand cash from UPS. Some Stores offer extended period "Same as Cash" offers.
Given how long you have been without an AVR, I would look into that. It must be terrible having to use the TV's Speakers.
Cheers,
JJ

#41 ·
You have no choice but to play by their rules. You can keep calling and maybe they will get tired of you and get to it, but my experience with these claims is that they pretty much take their time and hope you will get tired and drop it.

#42 ·
I contacted Onkyo and they pretty much just wiped their hands clean of it and said I have to just file the claim with UPS
On a side note... UPS mailed me the return shipping label to mail the receiver to their inspections place.
I should be able to get it out tomorrow.

#44 · (Edited)
bad deal or just bad luck.... not sure yet :ponder:
The worst part is I keep getting these awesome bluray movies in the mail from netflix... and I am forced to watch them in the living room..... at least the living room has a yamaha sound bar thing which is better than LCD speakers.... but it doesn't come close to my man cave. Also my man cave has a beer fridge 5 feet from the couch

I should just go buy a new unit... I just can't see them actually repairing this one... who knows how many boards are bad and also it needs a new shell

what do you guys think of the TX-SR508... it seems to have everything i need and its only $275

#45 ·
LCD speakers, really bad deal! I put my self in that situation a couple months ago (kinda) when i caught my twins getting curious about what was behind the grills of the speakers so i packed'em up and put them away, i could only stand it for about 2 weeks before i got them back out and now for some reason they stay away from them.:paddle::clap:

On to your AVR, in my opinion and me just being me i think i would just go buy a new one and hopfully get the one that got treated like a tumble weed fixed at somebody elses expense i hope and sell it for cheapo to get a little return out of it. Once again i sure do hope it all works out in your favor.:T

#46 ·
I am starting to think I might do that.... also.. i think my budget just went up because I sold my old 32 inch LCD tv..... now I am really looking at the Pioneer VSX-1020-K 7.1-Channel 3-D Ready A/V Receiver. Man this thing has everything.... 6 HDMI inputs, internet radio, Ipod hookup..... and its onsale at newegg for $454 and I believe Best Buy will match that price.

here is a link to it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...c=EMCPB-092010-_-PB090210-_-Item-_-82-117-342

#48 ·
Hello,
If looking in that pricerange, I would pickup an Onkyo TX-NR807 from AC4L. I understand after what you have been through that Onkyo would be a tough to consider.

However, with the 807, you get Internet Radio, THX Post Processing and a stronger Amplifier Section. Understand that all Brands have failures like what happened to your 507. I have been using Onkyo's for the past 4 Years with zero issues.
Cheers,
JJ
Posted via Mobile Device

#49 ·
I am thinking too that if i get a new one that it can do the 3d stuff.. who knows maybe someday i'll get a 3d tv

#50 · (Edited)
well so far my Onkyo receiver is still in la-la land somewhere and its been over 3 months since i've had a working receiver.
Newegg.com sent me a coupon code on this samsung receiver. {SAMSUNG HW-C700 7.2-Channel Receiver}
With the coupon code i got it for $199.99 shipped, so I just ordered it a couple hours ago. It seems to be more powerfull and does everything my old unit did plus it does the 3d stuff if I go down that road in the future and it was cheap. It also comes with included Ipod dock so I can sell my onkyo ipod dock (anyone interested :) I really have no idea how good or bad this unit is... I didn't even know samsung made receivers. I'll let you know what I think about it.

here is a link to it on samsungs website.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HW-C700/XAA

***EDIT***
Just got an update from the electronics place that originally fixed my onkyo and shipped it to me but got damage. They said UPS is not going to cover the insurance because of inadequate packaging and that the shop is just filing a claim with thier insurance and will cut me a check.. of course they didnt say how much they are cutting me a check for. I'll keep this post updated though.

#51 ·
Hello,
I have absolutely no experience with Samsung AVR's and in truth did not know they made AVR's. I look forward to reading your findings. I hope it works great for you. If not, Newegg has a good Return Policy.

I was afraid that UPS would deny the Claim due to the shoddy Packaging. I realize this has been quite an ordeal for you. Thankfully, it appears it is going to be resolved soon.
Cheers,
JJ

#52 ·
yeah I was the same way until i got the daily email from newegg and saw it... and at $200 bucks 120watts/channel it was hard not to give it a shot.

#53 ·
Hello,
I really am interested to read your findings. I hope it works well. Thankfully, your Polk's are fairly efficient Speakers and should present a fairly easy load. I would definitely crossover all Speakers at 80 Hz or higher to give more headroom for the Mids and Highs.
Cheers,
JJ

#54 ·
What an ordeal! That is just one nightmare. At least your going to get some sort of return out of the old unit. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new AVR, I, like JJ didn't know they made AVR's. I would certainly cross them over at 80hz as suggested. Keep us posted.:T

#55 ·
can you guys give me some input on how i cross over my speakers? I did a little google searching but didnt really get any good answers

#57 ·
that sounds easy enough.... i was thinking that I was going to have to take my speakers apart and wire something inside....

Looking at my tracking number the UPS guy should deliver it today!

#58 ·
after looking at the pdf manual online...
looks like my options for crossover are 60,80,100,120,150,180,200(Hz) and the default setting is 100Hz

#60 ·
After looking at the manuel, thanks Ares, i would start at 80hz and hopefully you don't need to move up from there you might be able to go down to 60hz but i doubt it, it does not seem like a real powerful unit but it has got to be better then nothing. Keep us posted and good luck.:T

#61 ·
Hello,
Wow. 13.7 Pounds. I wonder if that is a misprint? Otherwise, that is the lightest AVR that I have ever read about. Again, I really am quite interested to read Panaman's findings.

If it does indeed weigh 13 pounds, I would definitely XO at 80 Hz.
Cheers,
JJ

#63 · (Edited)
I got it hooked up last night.... first thing I did to it was update the firmware, I think the original firmware comes with some bugs in it or something... not 100% sure because I didnt test it with the original firmware. That was pretty easy to do.. just copy the files to a usb drive, turn the unit on. Plug the usb drive into the usb port in the back... and watch the display... when its done it turns itself off.... took like 3 minutes. I got everything hooked up and the first thing I noticed is that it defaults all the connections to the rca jacks instead of HDMI, flipped through the manual and set all the settings for HDMI and everything worked. I ran the automated sound thing with the little microphone it comes with... it actually plays music when doing it in stead of tones like the Onkyo did. I was running out of time at this point (my wifes father was over and she wanted me to socialize instead of play with my new toy in my man cave) so I popped in Avatar blueray and played it for a bit and also played Dante's inferno.. sounds great.. can't tell the diffference between this units sound and my old onkyo. I tested my Asus Oplay and the Cable box too... all works perfect.... Tonight I'll set the crossover frequency on the speakers and test the Ipod Dock. But so far I can't really tell the difference in sound quality from my onkyo to this unit..... not yet at least....
As for build quality.. seems like any other metal case of a reciever, the thing I do like about it is all the buttons are hidden on the front under a panel. Gives it a sleak look. The reason it weighs so little is because its all digital.. probably not alot of boards inside. Also the power button on the unit is kind of like a power button on a PS3... you just touch a light to turn it on and off... another thing i noticed is that it doesn't get hot like my Onkyo did...

So far though, in my opinion.. for $200 bucks I can't see how you could go wrong... if you don't need video upconversion and all your accessories are HDMI like mine, this reciever should fit the bill nicely, plus the added bonus of an ipod dock is nice. The remote is a little cheap but thats probably the only complaint I can think of so far.

One thing I think I would like to buy is a Universal remote that can do IR and Bluetooth so it can control the PS3

#65 ·
I have a pair of JBL book shelf speakers sitting in my garage.. thinking of hooking them up so i get 7.1.... but at the same time that empty subwoofer port on the back of the unit keeps teasing me... makes me want to go out and buy another subwoofer so i can get 7.2

#67 ·
Hello,
I am glad the Samsung is working out for you. I definitely agree with Bambino that if you have an extra pair of Speakers sitting around, you might as well go for 7.1.
Cheers,
JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.