Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Onkyo has been in the shop for a Month!

8K views 66 replies 11 participants last post by  Jungle Jack 
#1 ·
My man cave is depressing without surround sound. I don't even want to watch movies or play video games without my surround sound. My SR507 lost all connectivity with the HDMI ports so it is in the shop. They have replaced two boards and it hasn't fixed it. Now they are waiting on Onkyo again to send them some other board... how many boards are in a receiver?

#2 ·
That is frustrating, If I were you i would contact Onkyo and request a replacement receiver. Explain that you have been waiting for over a month and what the service shop have done. You never know what they might say or do for you.

#8 ·
I like your answer tony as it might get good results, my brother had issues with his Marantz on a couple occasions and they ended up getting him a replacment model which was also an upgrade as they had changed models i that time frame,. so i'd say it is definatly worth a shot, who knows what kind of response you'll get but i'm sure it will be good as all they want to do is keep customers happy and returning for more.:T

#3 ·
Hello,
I am really sorry to read of your continued lack of an AVR. You could Audition an AVR from Best Buy and return it when yours comes back unless you prefer the new AVR. With BB's 30 Day Return Policy (longer if BB RZ Member), it would give you some time to decide and have a HT again.
Cheers,
JJ

#4 ·
LOL... that actually sounds like an awesome idea.. but my lazy butt would probably for get to take it back in 30 days and then i would be stuck with two receivers

#5 ·
Thats why it is always good to have a back up. Like the one I have in the classifieds...:whistling::bigsmile:

#9 ·
Please post the name of the shop so that others may know not to deal with them. If they are on their third board, they apparently don't have a good idea of how to troubleshoot the units.

Also, Onkyo is not among the vendors that I would rate highly in tech and parts support. IME, they have high value products, but less than impressive reliability and servicability. I do not get excited when I see them come in for service. Onkyo has never been very helpful and they in terms of tech support nor parts for non-ASCs. I cannot really comment on how they support ASCs, as I have not been one for them in over two decades.

#12 ·
I actually bought my receiver on Newegg and I dropped off the unit personally at the only service center that was someone close to me.. 2 hours away.. but was on the way to visit my parents so no big deal....
I really do not think it is the service centers fault. It seems like their hands are tide. They explained to me that they can't even switch out parts on the Onkyo equipment with parts they have in stock. Onkyo has to actually mail them the part on all warrenty stuff. They also said they have to go through Onkyo's trouble shooting process. So it sounds like to me they just have a strict set of guidelines they need to follow when working on warrenty repair work for Onkyo.

I also filled out the contact form on Onkyo's website yesterday saying they should send me a replacement reciever. That I shouldn't be without my reciever as long as I have.

#13 ·
Hello,
Might be worth a Call to Onkyo demanding a New Unit. Be polite, even sweet talk, and convey that you are a loyal Customer and how the loss of your AVR for this long is really affecting you.
Cheers,
JJ

#14 ·
Sorry to hear about that.
The industry, overall, is getting horrible in terms of service. I used to have a lot of very high end audio and have since liquidated it and gone to less expensive stuff. I also greatly simplified my system. It's too bad because I suspect many of the mfg's are seeing reductions in sales. It is in part due to the economy but also in part due to the poor service and support. I decided I needed to have equipment I could have a backup for or equipment that just gets tossed if it breaks. That’s a sad statement to be sure. One experience I had was sending an amp in for repair. Turnaround was almost two months. They refused to return in the box I sent it in (it was more than adequate) and promptly charged me almost $120 for a cardboard box. To top it all off they charged me twice the cost in return shipping as it cost me to send it to them. Yes, it was shipped the same way an insured (at least I insured it to them). I'm sure the actual repairs were just as ridiculous. This was a high end company - I'll never buy from them again. The total cost was about $650 for replacing a single low power transistor on the input driver board. The part is available for less than $1.

#15 ·
Not all of the industry is bad in terms of service. I was service manager for a dealer selling Onkyo back in the 1980s and it was very similar to the way it is now. Yamaha and Denon were far superior in support and service then and are today as well. Denon has had its glitches, but in general, if I get a unit in for repair, the likelihood of getting support or parts and repairing the unit efficiently and cost effectively is is far greater than if an Onkyo comes in. IMO, Onkyo is much like Samsung in video. They appear to be willing to buy market share with high performance, feature-filled products at lower pricing. The difference has to come from somewhere.

#16 ·
I'm sure everything and everyone is not bad, appologies if that was the impression I left. It just seems that there are enough that are it is hurting the entire industry. I'm sure the company you mentioned does a great job. I'm sure there area others as well. Those that aren't need some feedback so as to give them a heads up though.

Thanks -

#17 ·
You are absolutely correct. Many manufacturers do not provide adequate support nor parts. Those that do should be recognized and those that do not should be exposed. Onkyo is not among the worst by any means among CE manufacturers, but compared to their direct competitors below average, IMO.

#18 ·
just got a call today from the shop.. they said its fixed. They said the HDMI board that onkyo sent them had some old firmware on it or something and once they updated the firmware it fixed it.
They are mailing it out today and I should have it early next week. (hopefully monday)

#20 ·
Troubleshooting with Onkyo for most shops amounts to guessing at the board to change, getting it if it is available, then guessing again when that does not solve the problem. I recommend using a larger more experienced depot repair facility such as United Radio for repairs like this unless you have a local shop who is factory authorized AND has LOTs of experience with the product.

#21 ·
well the only reason I used this shop was because its 2 hours from my house and was on the way to visit my parents... so I just dropped it off on the way..

#22 ·
In general, if you can find a good ASC locally, I would recommend using them. Given the experience with many of the more complex AVRs these days, it may be less likely that smaller shops can effectively service them, particularly if they do not get good support in terms of parts, tech support, and training from the vendor. Also, generally, I do not like large depot servicers because the tend to be very inflexible and not very customer oriented. In the case of UR, I have found this to not be the case, and on many things it is more efficient to ship it than to have it done locally. Shipping itself then becomes an issue to deal with, however.

#23 ·
well i got it back.... the back of it was dented in..a little from the shipping..... i took pictures of it....
I decided to try it because I feel like only half a man with no surround sound....
I get sound going through the HDMI but I get no video at all........
If i hold the video button down it says 1080P/60hz - OFF

#25 ·
I always recommend using the original carton when shipping, then double boxing it in a larger carton as well. AVRs are often damaged if you don't. The original cartons are lucky to make it one way to the dealer. They have the right shape packing material, however. Even if you don't have the original box, I recommend double boxing any AVR, but particularly the heavier ones.

I agree, I would be contacting customer relations at Onkyo for assistance, as well as the carrier and the shop that shipped it to you. Save all of the packing material that they used and take lots of detailed photos.

#26 ·
yeah, I didnt ship it to them... i dropped it off.. just the receiver.. they just used any old box...
I figured they would have taken it to like a ups store where they would have packed it for them since onkyo was flipping the bill.

I emailed the shop.. they are closed right now and onkyo's hours are only till 5pm est.... so I'll call them tomorrow also.
what a experience I've been having.

#27 ·
Hello,
Truly sorry to read about your recent events. My experience with UPS is such that I never sell A/V Gear out of my Area without Double Boxing and am still reticent to do so.

In the future, I would definitely bring the original Carton when dropping off to a Service Center if you are going to get it Shipped back. Most Service Centers are not going to go out of their way and take it somewhere like the UPS Store for Packaging when they can just have their UPS Driver come by and pick it up.

You now have a compelling case to get a Brand New AVR. Again, the best way to make Onkyo help you is to be pleasant. If you can get them to be your advocate, you really have a shot at a new Unit.
Cheers,
JJ

#28 ·
Excellent advice. Be pleasant and have all of your experience documented. More detail, in writing, will get you a lot more results than anything else. You need to start a claim with the carrier as well. They will likely deny the claim because it was not packaged adequately. You then have more reason to show that Onkyo and their agent, the servicer, have not done what they should to solve the problem that THEY are responsible for solving with YOUR unit. Work this from all angles.

#29 ·
The shop had me fill out the claim form on the UPS website. If UPS pays me for the the receiver I am fine with that. either way.. i want a replacement receiver or $300 bucks....

If they just pay me for a receiver, got any recommendations on a new one.. i dont think they make the same one i got anymore.
I need 4 HDMI inputs and 5.1

#30 ·
Hello,
Sadly, the UPS process is going to take some time. Once you have a max budget, that is when I would really start looking. Off the top of my head, the TX-SR608 makes a good deal of sense and is a definite upgrade over your 507.

If you can up your budget to 400 Dollars, you could get a TX-SR707 from Accessories4less. This would give you Preamp Outputs, Audyssey MultEQ and more. It would be moving 2 Series up the Onkyo Range. Or better yet, the HT-RC180 for 429. This Model is virtually a clone of the TX-NR807 and would give you Internet Radio/Firmware Updates.
Cheers,
JJ

#31 · (Edited)
Hello,
Sadly, the UPS process is going to take some time. Once you have a max budget, that is when I would really start looking. Off the top of my head, the TX-SR608 makes a good deal of sense and is a definite upgrade over your 507.

If you can up your budget to 400 Dollars, you could get a TX-SR707 from Accessories4less. This would give you Preamp Outputs, Audyssey MultEQ and more. It would be moving 2 Series up the Onkyo Range.
Cheers,
JJ
One benefit I would have with staying with an onkyo brand receiver is that I also purchased the Ipod dock for the receiver...
But at the same time.... i hardly ever used it..... I use my receiver 90% of the time for movies and games. The other 10% I usually just have the radio on when I am doing web development or something to that nature.....

I have started looking at some stuff
Pioneer VSX-920-K 7.1-Channel 3-D Ready A/V Receiver
YAMAHA 5.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver RX-V467
ONKYO TX-SR508 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver
ONKYO TX-SR608 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver

The SR707 does look nice... but its a little over budget... need to watch my spending.. I got a 2nd kid on the way.

#32 ·
Hello,
Well. With the TX-NR807 and HT-RC180, you would get Internet Radio. While I did not think I would be that impressed, the Services bundled with the Onkyo's is excellent. vTuner, Pandora, Rhapsody, and Sirius Internet Radio are quite good. With Sirius, you get a 30 Day Free Trial without having to even register. vTuner, and Pandora are free and are awesome.
Cheers,
JJ

#33 ·
maybe so.. but i can get all kinds of internet radio on my XBOX360... my PS3 probably plays the stuff too... just never messed with it..... i rarely listen to it... normally I just listen to the local radio station

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.